Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Teryl Austin Next DC of Bengals - Confirmed
(01-08-2018, 11:04 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Anybody else see Hobson mention he’s a Pittsburgh “guy”? Sick

http://m.bengals.com/s/30838/360?itemUri=1341131871/15912120663151090811444101111

Yep!  He's not only from the Pittsburgh area, he also was on staff for the Seattle and Arizona teams that lost Super Bowls to the Steelers.  He's damn near tailor made to come to Cincinnati and bend over for/get violated by Pittsburgh under Mr Steeler himself, Marvin Lewis.
(01-08-2018, 11:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Wait brother, you're saying Marvin is responsible for the good years, but not responsible for the bad years? 

I mean, he got a second chance after 2010, and others after 2013, 205 and 2017. Seems like a lot of chances?

As for this new power that he didn't have before, what exactly are you meaning? 

BTW, I agree with your post about Austin having an impact on the secondary.

I’ve decided to go “glass half full” mode. Marvin is our coach for the next two seasons and I’m going to make the best of it. The players love playing for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-08-2018, 08:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This feels weak and lazy. Kinda like the Zampese hire. They were passive, wanted Guenther back, then hired the first guy they interviewed? I mean, Austin can't be the greatest candidate out there, right? Why not interview someone else?

People are trying to spin things as so different, but it sure looks pretty status quo to me.

Big changes boys.....I mean Yuge.....we got 'em!

"Better send those refunds..."

I only watched two Lions games this year. Wasn't aware they had a defensive coordinator.

Whatever
It's an okay hire. I remember his name being mentioned as an up and comer when he was with the Seahawks. I'm guessing Austin may be our HC in waiting. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
(01-08-2018, 11:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You know what?  I’m willing to give Marvin a second chance.  He obviously secured more decision-making power so let’s see what he does with it.  Marvin secured more power in 2009 and from 2009-2015 the Bengals made the playoffs 6 out of 7 seasons.  I’m willing to overlook the 2016-2017 Ken Zampese + Paul Guenther years.

Second?  This is closer to his 22nd than it is his 2nd.  **** that bum....and **** Son of Paul for bringing that lifeless piece of shit back to the sidelines.

(01-08-2018, 11:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Second?  This is closer to his 22nd than it is his 2nd.  **** that bum....and **** Son of Paul for bringing that lifeless piece of shit back to the sidelines.

[Image: but-if-you-zcxde6.jpg]

Tongue
Dude's squad made our 32nd ranked offense look like world beaters.  Forgive me for being less than ecstatic......

(01-09-2018, 12:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Dude's squad made our 32nd ranked offense look like world beaters.  Forgive me for being less than ecstatic......

Yeah, same. Definitely not ecstatic over his hiring, but I guess it's something different. Jerry
(01-09-2018, 12:14 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, same. Definitely not ecstatic over his hiring, but I guess it's something different. Jerry

You have a point there......we'll see in several months how it pans out. :andy: 

Like the fact we have some new "blood" in the fold but his defense has been underwhelming in the "D"

The one thing I hope he will do more than anything is show some fire and discipline to those gentleman on that side of the ball that need it.

Cut the BS, stop letting players run the asylum...........Mr Teryl Austin lets see what you can do!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Was anyone honestly excited when they hired Zimmer? I’ll have a wait and see attitude towards the new DC. I trust Marv’s judgment a hell of a lot more on that side of the ball.

(01-09-2018, 12:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Was anyone honestly excited when they hired Zimmer? 

Don't know why they would be. His D finished 29th in the NFL the year before we signed him. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Are the rankings froom Austin's Defenses solely based on yards allowed? I ask because I remember in recent years (can't remember if it was a less than four years ago or more than four) the Lions having big leads in games early. (I follow the Lions scores a little closer because that's my sister's team) Granted, the Lions would usually lose these big leads which could be Austin's fault, could be offensive playing conservative. I'm going to research this.
Points Per Game Rankings from 2014-2017: 3rd, 23rd,13th, 21st
YPG: 2nd, 18th, 18th and 27th

I think PPG matters more than YPG.

Source: NFL.COM
(01-09-2018, 01:02 AM)jorev5 Wrote: Points Per Game Rankings from 2014-2017: 3rd, 23rd,13th, 21st
YPG:  2nd, 18th, 18th and 27th

I think PPG matters more than YPG.

Source: NFL.COM

Agreed....that's a little bit better.....still bottom half of the league a couple years.  It's almost as if his first year was an outlier.  However, I hear he's a disciplinarian type guy....this team could certainly use a dose of that.

19th 6th 24th 9th 8th 5th

Mike Zimmer's Bengals Defense rankings in PPG from 2008-2013
As I'm looking these stats up, there was a season where the offensive was bad, 3 and out every drive bad. Maybe 2008, when Palmer was out and Fitzpatrick played most of the season?
(01-09-2018, 01:12 AM)jorev5 Wrote: 19th 6th 24th 9th 8th 5th

Mike Zimmer's Bengals Defense rankings in PPG from 2008-2013

Boy....2010 was a dumpster fire of a season.  Then came reboot one.....

I'm willing to give any new guy a chance, but I've played the "lets force ourselves to get excited about an unexciting player/coach" game before, and I'm just done with it. Unless the player/coach has a good resume, I'm not going to force myself to come up with reasons to get excited about it. Austin's resume is mediocre at best. Hopefully Lazor does a better job filling out his offensive staff - particularly our next o-line coach....seeing how that coach could be around for the next quarter-century.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(01-09-2018, 01:16 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm willing to give any new guy a chance, but I've played the "lets force ourselves to get excited about an unexciting player/coach" game before, and I'm just done with it. Unless the player/coach has a good resume, I'm not going to force myself to come up with reasons to get excited about it. Austin's resume is mediocre at best. Hopefully Lazor does a better job filling out his offensive staff - particularly our next o-line coach....seeing how that coach could be around for the next quarter-century.

This. Right. Y'here.