Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teryl Austin has coached in three Super Bowls.
Defensive backs coach for '05 Seahawks, '08 Cardinals, and '12 Ravens.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Defensive backs coach for '05 Seahawks, '08 Cardinals, and '12 Ravens.

Plus didn't he interview for many HC jobs too ? 

Not as good as coaching in 3 SB's but says a lot about how he is viewed around league. 

Did not hate PG and would have been fine if he were retained. 

But really like Austin and think he will be a great DC. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Only one of those could possibly be brag worthy Kaep, (you know the QB who can't get a job) had his squad on the ropes as well. His DB"s did have a good postseason up to that game tho. The other two.....

He got schooled by the hated Steelers. His db's couldn't stop Big Ben at all when it mattered.

Not good.

I'm banking on his fresh eyes and our (aging) talent to keep the D afloat. Austin wasn't my first choice. But I'm going to keep an open mind.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Well , if we have a decent season and win a bunch of games , super bowl or not , playoff win or not both Austin and Lazor will be elsewhere in 2019.. Marvin will be given the 1 through 20 year extension and bragging rights of planting a coaching orchard.. And the never ending debate about who wins the super bowl first will continue. And who knows?  One of  Marvin's former assistants might actually win one one of these days ,but it'll have to wait until every NFL head coach has been an assistant under Marv at one point or another . Maybe that's why he never gets fired . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
So he is 0-3 in SBs?? j/k
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 01:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So he is 0-3 in SBs??  j/k

Which is still better than the entire Bengals franchise history. 

So it is an upgrade. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
How dare anyone question the decision making process so eloquently defined by the Bengals front office and transcribed to us by Butch? The Bengals best laid plans are from the Department of Mice and Men.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
As long as he isn't fond of Chuck Brenshan impressions like Guenther occasionally was, I'll be quite happy with Austin.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 01:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So he is 0-3 in SBs?? j/k

Unless my memory is failing me, the Ravens won that Super Bowl
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 12:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Plus didn't he interview for many HC jobs too ? 

Not as good as coaching in 3 SB's but says a lot about how he is viewed around league. 

Did not hate PG and would have been fine if he were retained. 

But really like Austin and think he will be a great DC. 

Same here, I didn’t hate Paul like some here seemed to, but am excited to have Austin and some fresh ideas and blood for our defense
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 02:20 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: As long as he isn't fond of Chuck Brenshan impressions like Guenther occasionally was, I'll be quite happy with Austin.

Guenthars worst season here was his fourth and had the #16 scoring defense.

Mike Zimmers worst season here was his thgird and we had the #24 scoring defense.

Guenthar is a damn good DC.  Don't know why so many people don't like him.  There is a good reason he was the first choice at DC for both Mike Zimmer and Jon Gruden.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 02:29 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Unless my memory is failing me, the Ravens won that Super Bowl

No, your memory is fine, mine is bad..... LMAO
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guenthars worst season here was his fourth and had the #16 scoring defense.

Mike Zimmers worst season here was his thgird and we had the #24 scoring defense.

Guenthar is a damn good DC.  Don't know why so many people don't like him.  There is a good reason he was the first choice at DC for both Mike Zimmer and Jon Gruden.

he did a good job with what he had to work with for sure

Below average linebackers and average at best safeties.

Plus foul machine Dre covering other team's first or second WR.
Reply/Quote
Seems like somebody killed a gopher with a stick one time...... Hmm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 01:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So he is 0-3 in SBs??  j/k

1-2.  The Ravens won.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis has coached in two Super Bowls.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guenthars worst season here was his fourth and had the #16 scoring defense.

Maybe X and Os he is solid but he was lacking the motivational factor. He couldn't get guys to step up in crunch time like Zimmer did.

Guenther never had to deal with Keith glass jaw River and Rey Maualoser being two of his best on defense.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Guenther's biggest problem was that his last name wasn't Zimmer...
Only time will tell whether he succeeds with Gruden or not or if Austin turns the D into a top performing unit or not.  Any drop off at all on defense will earn Austin the scorn of Bengals fans even if every player suffers some horrific disease during the season. As plumbers everywhere knows, shit flows down, not up. 

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2018, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Defensive backs coach for '05 Seahawks, '08 Cardinals, and '12 Ravens.

Didn't Marvin also coach in a SB.
Reply/Quote
I think Mixon being our bell cow, along with a better all-around offensive unit, will put the defense in better situations and make it a lot easier to keep them resting on the sideline.

People always complain about Mike Brown being too loyal and not shaking things up enough, so now we finally get five new coaches in here that look to be pretty solid improvements and  some people are still bitching.

People baffle me.
Reply/Quote