Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teryl Austin - i'm starting to get nervous..
(09-23-2018, 09:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati defense has been going downhill since the Front Office allowed Mike Zimmer to leave town.

Could be worse, Mike Zimmer’s team got dominated by the worst team in the league yesterday...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 08:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Let's see, we're 2-1, and the defense kept us in this game pretty much up to the end while missing 2 starting linebackers. Yeah, I'd panic.... Sarcasm

I agree. we also was missing the Illustrious Micheal Johnson Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 08:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Let's see, we're 2-1, and the defense kept us in this game pretty much up to the end while missing 2 starting linebackers. Yeah, I'd panic.... Sarcasm

This^

(09-23-2018, 09:46 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’ll withhold judgement until Tez and Brown are on the field together.

This^

(09-23-2018, 10:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: When Burfict and Brown are added this defense can be a great one.

And this^!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 07:28 PM)sonofstat Wrote: is it too early and too much of a knee jerk reaction to be worrying about our new DC?

some concerns based on first 3 games:

1) if our offense keeps needing to score 30+ points to stand a chance of winning a game we probably will not get to the playoffs

2) preaching turnovers is great but if you are relying on them to stop the opposition and you do not get them then you better have a plan B or C....this defense is starting to feel close to a Chuck Bresnahan one.

3) we appear to be playing soft, way back in coverage. From the talk in the preseason I though we may be going more aggressive , man to man but we continue to appear to be a step behind and allowing a lot of easy completions underneath

4) we have played 2 games against O Lines with injuries and backups who we were meant to feast on.  despite the talent we have upfront we have lacked consistent pressure...in fact i would argue the DL has been the most underwhelming unit on the team given the expectation pre season.

so what gives - talent is not actually there, still early days for new DC and scheme and we will settle down , or is he going to be found lacking throughout the year?

You nailed all points.  My big problem is when people start whining about personnel or injuries (like we don't have Burfict) and not address what we are getting out of our players that are on the field.  That is a lot of what I call "coaching".  Game plan, etc, is one thing, but not having the drive, pride, motivation, etc. to play harder than what I saw in the middle of our defense is frustrating.

I am sure the National Media will say (rightfully) all week "We knew better than to believe in them" and drop them in meaningless power rankings.  I would also imagine they will get their asses kicked hard at practice and will look different at Atlanta.  

The lack of adaptation to the quick-strike offense by Carolina is incredibly frustrating.  It is like a boxer getting killed by a jab that never defends it.  Jab, jab, jab...smack, smack, smack....rinse and repeat.  
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 06:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Could be worse, Mike Zimmer’s team got dominated by the worst team in the league yesterday...

And that was the easiest 100 I ever made...Risk 10 on Bills to win, paid 100.  Why?  Because that is human nature.  Be told you are the worst in the league and go against the team being told they are one of the best in the league and that is often the result. 

It was "upset Sunday" in the NFL, and that wager only countered my loss by the Texans and Pats.  Easy come, easy go...
Reply/Quote
Nothing a better group of LINEBACKERS can't solve. You know,..........a group of Linebackers that won't let a 6'4" Quarterback cross the goal line STANDING STRAIGHT UP, RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE without delivering a blow. You know, ...........the kind that dont get stiff armed to the turf by scat backs.
Reply/Quote

Let's hope the coaches aren't thinking this way.

Week 1- A really well-timed hit by Fej turns the game around.  Luck nickel-and-dimed the Bengals with a near 80% completion percentage.  

Week 2- Offense tore up Baltimore early and forced Baltimore away from rushing attack.  A short week is even tougher for the road team.  Defense was melted throughout the second half, and really made one big stand to hold off the Ravens from coming all the way back. 

Week 3- No pressure on quick-strike passes, and no one close enough in coverage to force Cam to hold the ball or make a play on the ball.  It looked at times that Funchess came off the sidelines because no one was in his zip code.  Got gashed IN THE MIDDLE for over 200 yards rushing.

And Jordan Evans is a much better option than Vinny Rey.  The problem is neither one of them plays DT.  

I hope Austin finds his balls because this team can't be expected to score 34 points to have to win.  
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 11:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: Never cared for a Coordinator who coached from the booth...

They need to be on the field communicating with the players. Coaching them up.

Detroit's D was only good for turnovers when they got them. Other than that they struggled to stop offenses.

Co-ordinators sit in the booth to give them a better view of plays unfolding. "coaching players up on the sideline" is the job of the position coaches. The Co-ordinators are busy calling plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 09:08 PM)motoarch Wrote: Didn’t both are wins come on the backs of defensive plays?

A fumble return by a safety and a strip sack by a safety.  Just sayin.

You do have some good points though.

Yep, and that's great.  But what happens when they don't get the turnovers?  Think yesterday is a good example.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:35 AM)John Shaft Wrote: Nothing a better group of LINEBACKERS can't solve. You know,..........a group of Linebackers that won't let a 6'4" Quarterback cross the goal line STANDING STRAIGHT UP, RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE without delivering a blow. You know, ...........the kind that dont get stiff armed to the turf by scat backs.

That stiff arm from little McCaffrey was flat out embarrassing for Nickerson.  
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 05:29 AM)sonofstat Wrote: True, Burfict will make any DC look better and his run support is light years ahead of Nickerson and Vigil.  Honestly, hope it is as simple as getting #55 back..

Also I think yesterday was as much about Cam playing lights out - heck, half the time i was watching him on the hand offs and still had no clue who was going to end up with the ball and that seemed to freeze our front 7 at times

Probably will be (and getting Brown back) but keeping #55 in the lineup is far more important than just getting #55 back. He has to temper his assassin type of play so he's not leading with the head on every tackle because with the new rule(s) it won't just be the concussions he gets that keep him out of the lineup but getting tossed from games will also...

#55 owes this team both smart and formidable play...
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2018, 09:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati defense has been going downhill since the Front Office allowed Mike Zimmer to leave town.

Dude that was like 10 years ago and he left for a better gig. Let it go. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 09:56 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: That stiff arm from little McCaffrey was flat out embarrassing for Nickerson.  

I was going to mention to mention that! When a small back that is giving up 20 LBS and just tosses a LBer to the ground like he did, you have no business playing in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2018, 07:35 AM)John Shaft Wrote: Nothing a better group of LINEBACKERS can't solve. You know,..........a group of Linebackers that won't let a 6'4" Quarterback cross the goal line STANDING STRAIGHT UP, RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE without delivering a blow. You know, ...........the kind that dont get stiff armed to the turf by scat backs.

Absolutely. But one is hurt and the other can't be counted on to stay out of trouble. The odds of Burfict not getting suspended again are worse than Eifert staying healthy. I mean you have golden boy Clay Mathews calling the NFL out for being too soft. No way animal Burfict survives.

He has a even bigger giant X on his jersey if you can believe that.

Reply/Quote