Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach
Fingers crossed. I'd take Rex Ryan before Austin. He probably could get paid more as a position coach with the Raiders than a DC with the Bengals. We all know MB.

But I'm going to stop complaining before we end up with Haslett. Which would be the worst option of them all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Coach under Marvin Lewis.....Jon Gruden, Merv....Jon, Merv......Jon, Merv......Jon, Jon.....Jon.

[Image: original.jpg]

Legendary coach vs legendary coaching dunce? Hmmm.... 

Hmm
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Like I said...they have a QB. That's the most important step. They have studs like Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper. Ten years doesn't matter. Dick Vermeil came back and won a championship after a longer layoff. Does Gruden strike you as someone who hasn't kept up? 

And it's not just these things...there will be a ton of pressure to win early in Vegas. They're going to spend money and put EVERYTHING into making a winning team. Plus KC is about to trade Alex Smith and likely fall to earth. Who is going to win that division for the next few years? I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but I'd bet the house on Vegas fielding a very good team.

What happened to all the talk that he just won with Dungy's team and then went on and shit the bed thereafter?   And how long has it been since the Raiders were able to consistently win?  And it's now two years in a row that their studly QB  has been riding the injury train.

They'll be the next media darlings who don't do shit.

Oh yeah, and how smart is Gruden? He could probably have any DC he wants and he chooses Paulie G?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:31 PM)McC Wrote: You must be talking about Vegs cuz Oakland is a hell hole.

Definitely Vegas, but Oakland has two things going for it Cincinnati does not:
1) Weather (specifically temperature) - Give me consistent 50's and 60's in the Winter compared to the crap Ohio gets
2) Quick drive into San Francisco
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand that, but that city and organization are still viewed in a more favorable light than Cincinnati and the Bengals, at least by most.

I have to disagree, Oakland is not viewed very favorable and they are moving to Vegas.. so that tells you something.. but they have money especially if he gets assistant head coach more bucks and if Gruden walks away quick.. he might end up head coach
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:49 PM)McC Wrote: What happened to all the talk that he just won with Dungy's team and then went on and shit the bed thereafter?   And how long has it been since the Raiders were able to consistently win?  And it's now two years in a row that their studly QB  has been riding the injury train.

They'll be the next media darlings who don't do shit.

Oh yeah, and how smart is Gruden?  He could probably have any DC he wants and he chooses Paulie G?

That talk only comes from ignorant people, tbh. People that seem to forget the team that Gruden played in the SB that year was the Raiders...the team HE built. 

The rest of Gruden's tenure in Tampa wasn't as bad as people say:

7-9
5-11
11-5
4-12
9-7
9-7

0-2 in the playoffs.

Looks a lot like Marvin before the reboot, and people praise the shit out of Marvin for that turnaround. Mind you, Gruden did this with guys like Chris Simms, Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese and Bruce Gradkowski at QB, whereas Merv had Carson Palmer. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That talk only comes from ignorant people, tbh. People that seem to forget the team that Gruden played in the SB that year was the Raiders...the team HE built. 

7-9
5-11
11-5
4-12
9-7
9-7

0-2 in the playoffs.

Looks a lot like Marvin before the reboot, and people praise the shit out of Marvin for that turnaround. Mind you, Gruden did this with guys like Chris Simms, Jeff Garcia, Brian Griese and Bruce Gradkowski at QB, whereas Merv had Carson Palmer. 

All it takes is one Super Bowl victory and the coach, franchise, players, etc are ALL viewed in a completely different light.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That talk only comes from ignorant people, tbh. People that seem to forget the team that Gruden played in the SB that year was the Raiders...the team HE built. 

7-9
5-11
11-5
4-12
9-7
9-7

0-2 in the playoffs.

That's a pretty ugly tenure, if you ask me.  So he's Marvin with a sense of humor.  I'd say even Marv would have won a SB with that defense.   And it truly galls me to say anything good about Marv, believe me.

I ain't riding the Oakland hype train.  A stupid, desperate owner going for  splash move to sell tickets.  And they are FAR from the Greatest Show On Turf.  Years away from even being close.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Wouldn't mind Austin as DC. Wont cry of he goes elsewhere.

Wonder if a sticking point is having some of his position coaches already picked for him
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:02 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Wouldn't mind Austin as DC. Wont cry of he goes elsewhere.

Wonder if a sticking point is having some of his position coaches already picked for him

I would think not since most of the coaches are still in flux , it seems to be me and a bit weird that Oakland throws out assistant head coach with Gruden signing a 10 year contract.. hmmm. i would think $$ is a bit more.. and nothing wrong with taking other offers, it puts him in a stronger position either way
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They're clearly on the upswing. They have a QB, they hired Jon Gruden, and they're moving to Vegas. Odds are, they're going to win, and they're going to do so in the spotlight. This means any other coaches on the team are likely to become HC's elsewhere or at the very least get PAID by the Raiders ala Gruden. Not to mention Vegas is a fun city and anyone on the Raiders is about to have the red carpet thrown out for them.

The Raiders are the proof you can spend big and fall on your face over and over and over again....
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:56 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I have to disagree, Oakland is not viewed very favorable and they are moving to Vegas.. so that tells you something.. but they have money especially if he gets assistant head coach more bucks and if Gruden walks away quick.. he might end up head coach

promote a position coach over 2 coordinators...not likely

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:02 PM)McC Wrote: That's a pretty ugly tenure, if you ask me.  So he's Marvin with a sense of humor.  I'd say even Marv would have won a SB with that defense.   And it truly galls me to say anything good about Marv, believe me.

I ain't riding the Oakland hype train.  A stupid, desperate owner going for  splash move to sell tickets.  And they are FAR from the Greatest Show On Turf.  Years away from even being close.

IIRC, it seems the Bucs pretty much gutted that roster after the SB, a la the Marlins after their WS win.  I am just going off memory though.

I'd take Gruden over Merv every day of the week and 22 times on Sunday.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:09 PM)pally Wrote: promote a position coach over 2 coordinators...not likely

It is likely if you have already been a coordinator.. the title comes with something  $$ or it would not be attached.. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: Why would a guy choose being a position coach over being a coordinator?

Believe they tried to entice him with an "Assistant Head Coach" title as well.  Mellow
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:02 PM)McC Wrote: That's a pretty ugly tenure, if you ask me.  So he's Marvin with a sense of humor.  I'd say even Marv would have won a SB with that defense.   And it truly galls me to say anything good about Marv, believe me.

Yeah, IDK if "ugly" is the word when there's 4 winning seasons and a championship. Please gimme some of that ugly.

Not to mention the 2 winning seasons in Oakland (and being considered SB contenders in both of those seasons).

(01-08-2018, 02:08 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: The Raiders are the proof you can spend big and fall on your face over and over and over again....

When have the Raiders "spent big" and failed? There has been plenty of failure, but not because they spent. They now have a QB and it looks like they have a good coaching staff. They will back that with money. 

(01-08-2018, 02:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: IIRC, it seems the Bucs pretty much gutted that roster after the SB, a la the Marlins after their WS win.  I am just going off memory though.

Yes sir. I envy their current situation, tbh.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: Why would a guy choose being a position coach over being a coordinator?

Because they're also making him an assistant head coach
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: IIRC, it seems the Bucs pretty much gutted that roster after the SB, a la the Marlins after their WS win.  I am just going off memory though.

I would too but there is a lot of revisionist history going on at the moment.  Gruden had lots of drama around him everywhere he went and the fans in TB all but ran him out of town.  This is way more for show than anything else, imo.  The Raiders have been living off that distant past and the cool unis for  LONG time.

Reply/Quote
Paul Alexander last held the title assistant head coach here.

Maybe if Austin is who you really want offer that to him as well?
Reply/Quote
If Austin does decide to become the Bengal's DC. he will fit right in with Merv , because his experience in Playoff losses.

Update : Wikipedia now says that Austin is the Bengal's DC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teryl_Austin
Reply/Quote