Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teryl Austin might go to the Raiders as DB coach
(01-08-2018, 02:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: IIRC, it seems the Bucs pretty much gutted that roster after the SB, a la the Marlins after their WS win.  I am just going off memory though.

I'd take Gruden over Merv every day of the week and 22 times on Sunday.

Gruden is a solid coach but lets make sure we understand that TB did not gut the team.. the next year they had the core of their team after SB win and went 7-9 and 5-11 the next two years
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:24 PM)McC Wrote: I would too but there is a lot of revisionist history going on at the moment.  Gruden had lots of drama around him everywhere he went and the fans in TB all but ran him out of town.  This is way more for show than anything else, imo.  The Raiders have been living off that distant past and the cool unis for  LONG time.

I think the revisionist history is people pretending Gruden didn't have a lot of success in both Oakland and Tampa. Bengals fans (of all people) thumbing their noses at a championship. I'm really not sure what you're talking about with the drama and Tampa fans running him out of town. Tampa loves Jon Gruden. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think the revisionist history is people pretending Gruden didn't have a lot of success in both Oakland and Tampa. Bengals fans (of all people) thumbing their noses at a championship. I'm really not sure what you're talking about with the drama and Tampa fans running him out of town. Tampa loves Jon Gruden. 

They do now.  I don't think they did by the time he left.  He's a pretty good coach.  He's better than Marvin, for whatever that's worth.  Time will tell.  Wouldn't be penciling them into a SB just yet, though.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:27 PM)bengals73 Wrote: If Austin does decide to become the Bengal's DC. he will fit right in with Merv , because his experience in Playoff losses.

Update : Wikipedia now says that Austin is the Bengal's DC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teryl_Austin

Anyone can edit Wikipedia dude
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Surprised that anyone would not take the coordinator job here. Geno, Dunlap, Jackson, Vontaz, and Lawson should be a successful unit no matter who is coaching if said coach knows what they are doing.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:36 PM)McC Wrote: They do now.  I don't think they did by the time he left.  He's a pretty good coach.  He's better than Marvin, for whatever that's worth.  Time will tell.  Wouldn't be penciling them into a SB just yet, though.

Fair enough. I'm not penciling them for anything...just saying I understand why taking a job where you're going to be a rock star in Vegas with Jon Gruden would be more enticing than going to Cincy with Merv and Mike Brown. Fwiw, I'm bigger on Jon Gruden than some. I realize he did a great job building up the Raiders in the early 2000's, then did what Dungy couldn't do with the Bucs (and Sam Wyche's players).

It didn't end all that well (kinda mediocre) - but he never had a QB in Tampa.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:39 PM)Trademark Wrote: Anyone can edit Wikipedia dude

Just making the comment.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 02:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Gruden is a solid coach but lets make sure we understand that TB did not gut the team.. the next year they had the core of their team after SB win and went 7-9 and 5-11 the next two years

Fair enough.....I just remember Jackson leaving, Lynch, Brad Johnson, Nate Webster, Keyshawn, Sapp, and they were 11-5 in 2005.

It wasn't gutted, I guess, but Sapp and Lynch were a HUGE part of the core of the team, and they were gone within 2 seasons.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'm not believing this. I think he is taking a page out of Marvin's negotiating book. Threaten to go elsewhere... get a deal.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Like I said...they have a QB. That's the most important step. They have studs like Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper. Ten years doesn't matter. Dick Vermeil came back and won a championship after a longer layoff. Does Gruden strike you as someone who hasn't kept up? 

And it's not just these things...there will be a ton of pressure to win early in Vegas. They're going to spend money and put EVERYTHING into making a winning team. Does Cincy ever do that? Plus KC is about to trade Alex Smith and likely fall to earth. Who is going to win that division for the next few years? They don't have a Pittsburgh in that division. I'm not saying it's guaranteed, but I'd bet the house on Vegas fielding a very good team, being in the heavy spotlight (Cincy is the opposite of spotlight) and the coaches will have a lot of fun coaching in Vegas rather than bland ass Cincy.

My question is how good of a coach is Gruden, when he hasn't had an already built team? They do have good players, but they also have a lot of holes to fill.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: Fingers crossed. I'd take Rex Ryan before Austin. He probably could get paid more as a position coach with the Raiders than a DC with the Bengals. We all know MB.

But I'm going to stop complaining before we end up with Haslett. Which would be the worst option of  them all.

No the worst option would be Coyle.
Reply/Quote
I love being on the board during the off season.
All my threads blow up.
Good to see ole friends
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 03:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: My question is how good of a coach is Gruden, when he hasn't had an already built team? They do have good players, but they also have a lot of holes to fill.

He took a 4-12 Raiders team and had them a tuck rule away from the AFC Championship a couple years later. 

In the process, he turned Rich Gannon into an MVP candidate. I'm not sure why people always forget what Gruden did in Oakland.

To me, it was every bit as impressive as winning a title in Tampa. Probably more so. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 03:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I'm not believing this. I think he is taking a page out of Marvin's negotiating book. Threaten to go elsewhere... get a deal.

Maybe this is true and we're the team he's using for leverage?
Reply/Quote
Lions also interviewed him for HC job this offseason now if they are actually considering him or just getting the R Rule out the way idk
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 04:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He took a 4-12 Raiders team and had them a tuck rule away from the AFC Championship a couple years later. 

In the process, he turned Rich Gannon into an MVP candidate. I'm not sure why people always forget what Gruden did in Oakland.

To me, it was every bit as impressive as winning a title in Tampa. Probably more so. 

Yes sir......I've always felt what he did in Oakland was WAY more impressive than what he did in Tampa......the Raiders were legit, and may have won if they weren't facing the guy that built them.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 01:21 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Location/organization?

I'd like to add "Head Coach?"

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 04:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He took a 4-12 Raiders team and had them a tuck rule away from the AFC Championship a couple years later. 

Fair enough for me. I'm one of the few, maybe only one,  that wasn't a fan Jon Gruden.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2018, 04:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe this is true and we're the team he's using for leverage?

That would be a page out of Warren Sapp's book then... Another swing anda miss by the Bengals...
Reply/Quote
This wait and see is annoying . I kind of like Austin and I kind of don't, I feel like there's probably better options out there ,but we can also go worse with Coyle or haslett. This Is all typical Bengals, why can't we just get a real good guy for the job.
Reply/Quote