Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Texas Law That Bans Abortion Before Many Women Know They're Pregnant Takes Effect
(09-08-2021, 02:46 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Lower income people.

It's almost as if having a kid is a bad idea when you can barely afford to feed yourself.

Who'd of thunk it?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2021, 02:01 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Try again.

[Image: aps_finals_demographics.jpg?itok=vaORPHu1]

Guttmacher's latest stats. 7 years old, but I doubt Black women have gone from 28% to over 50% in 7 years
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2021, 08:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: [Image: aps_finals_demographics.jpg?itok=vaORPHu1]

Guttmacher's latest stats. 7 years old, but I doubt Black women have gone from 28% to over 50% in 7 years

Yeah, he was wrong in his statement because of just the numbers. But, this is an important thing to note is that the rate of black women seeking abortions is higher than white women based on the population numbers. This isn't defending his commentary because the issue is more about socioeconomic status and its interaction with racial demographics in this country. The argument that abortion clinics target black people is false and a straw man. But, we can't ignore the disproportionate representation of black people in those numbers. However, what we should be talking about is the wealth/wage gap, support for child care services, etc., etc. These things that make women feel the need to seek out an abortion.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
There's a solution to this. It's a condom.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 08:54 AM)Goalpost Wrote: There's a solution to this.  It's a condom.

99.9% effective, with the added bonus of them breaking and latex allergies.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 08:54 AM)Goalpost Wrote: There's a solution to this.  It's a condom.

(09-09-2021, 11:07 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: 99.9% effective, with the added bonus of them breaking and latex allergies.

The solution is to abstain.

I'm on record for recommending it as I chose it myself until I was married.  

But there are those who believe we are so much animals who can't control ourselves (generally that is about men) and there are those who would propose you should take your sons to a prostitute to teach them how to deal with women.  People have different ideas.

So I also recommend sex education and freely available prevention tools like condoms, the pill, IUDs, etc.

Yet in this country your doctor can refuse an IUD for any number of reasons that are not medical.  And don't even think about asking for a hysterectomy unless it is an absolute medical necessity.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 12:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: The solution is to abstain.

But there are those who believe we are so much animals who can't control ourselves (generally that is about men) and there are those who would propose you should take your sons to a prostitute to teach them how to deal with women.  People have different ideas.

So I also recommend sex education and freely available prevention tools like condoms, the pill, IUDs, etc.

Yet in this country your doctor can refuse an IUD for any number of reasons that are not medical.  And don't even think about asking for a hysterectomy unless it is an absolute medical necessity.

We need to create a culture where boys and men brag about how much sex they are NOT having.  Make responsibility sexy again.  MRSA!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 12:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: The solution is to abstain.

Abstinence only programs do not work.

At the end of the day, humans are animals. And animals will do what animals do.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 02:19 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Abstinence only programs do not work.

So you are saying we should neuter people?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 02:19 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Abstinence only programs do not work.

Oh, I totally agree that the programs don't work.  I don't believe we are animals.  We are smarter than that.

That's why I am all in on sex education and birth control being cheap and readily available.

But it is the only thing guaranteed to keep people from having unwanted pregnancies. It just is a personal choice.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh, I totally agree that the programs don't work.  I don't believe we are animals.  We are smarter than that.

That's why I am all in on sex education and birth control being cheap and readily available.

But it is the only thing guaranteed to keep people from having unwanted pregnancies. It just is a personal choice.

Someone ain't herd abot the butsecks.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 03:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Someone ain't herd abot the butsecks.

Ha!

Or what the Mormons do.  Just don't move.

Ok...there are *other* ways to have sexual release without making babies.   Smirk
Reply/Quote
In a sense, yes. My art has been commended as being strongly vaginal which bothers some men. The word itself makes some men uncomfortable. Vagina.

Oh yeah?

Yes, they don't like hearing it and find it difficult to say whereas without batting an eye a man will refer to his dick or his rod or his Johnson.

Johnson?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 08:54 AM)Goalpost Wrote: There's a solution to this. It's a condom.

Tell the rapists

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 07:12 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, he was wrong in his statement because of just the numbers. But, this is an important thing to note is that the rate of black women seeking abortions is higher than white women based on the population numbers. This isn't defending his commentary because the issue is more about socioeconomic status and its interaction with racial demographics in this country. The argument that abortion clinics target black people is false and a straw man. But, we can't ignore the disproportionate representation of black people in those numbers. However, what we should be talking about is the wealth/wage gap, support for child care services, etc., etc. These things that make women feel the need to seek out an abortion.

Yea ultimately the most disproportionate demographic we see is income. There’s a lot to unpack with that and a lot that can offered to help prevent the need for so many women in poverty to seek abortions.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 06:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Tell the rapists

I 100% support the right of a person to get an abortion in the case of rape.  It should be noted that such abortions are a very small percentage of those performed.

(09-09-2021, 06:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea ultimately the most disproportionate demographic we see is income. There’s a lot to unpack with that and a lot that can offered to help prevent the need for so many women in poverty to seek abortions.

Ehh, maybe not?  The percentage in that graph aligns pretty much around the percentage of the US population of that ethnicity.  The exception being the percentage of black women, who are represented at around four time the rate of their population percentage of around 7%, or twice the 14% of the female population as a whole.  Lower income is most definitely a factor, but it absolutely does not fully explain this discrepancy.  
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 07:10 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I 100% support the right of a person to get an abortion in the case of rape.  It should be noted that such abortions are a very small percentage of those performed.

Ehh, maybe not?  The percentage in that graph aligns pretty much around the percentage of the US population of that ethnicity.  The exception being the percentage of black women, who are represented at around four time the rate of their population percentage of around 7%, or twice the 14% of the female population as a whole.  Lower income is most definitely a factor, but it absolutely does not fully explain this discrepancy.  

Agreed on the first part, but the law doesn't make that exception. 

To the second part, I was simply saying that 75% of women do not live in poverty and that is the most disproportionate statistic on the infographic. Why is this the case and what can be done to close the poverty gap here?

Though if you want to break out the statistics, the current poverty stats aren't too far off in terms of share of those in poverty. Only issue with these stats are that they're recent while the abortion stats are from 2014.

Share of women in poverty:
White 42%, Black 22%, Asian 5%, Latina 27%, other 4%.
abortion  39%      28%          6%           25%            3%

So there are other factors at play to make Black women disproportionately likely to have an abortion, but it's not as glaring of a gap when poverty is taken into account.

Reply/Quote
So how does the case of rape thing work? A woman wants an abortion and declares "rape" and what...they can't wait on the abortion until after they actually investigate the allegations, can they?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 08:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: So how does the case of rape thing work?  A woman wants an abortion and declares "rape" and what...they can't wait on the abortion until after they actually investigate the allegations, can they?

The law doesn't have an exception for rape or incest, so i think that comment was just someone asking rhetorically. 

Someone raped would have less than 6 weeks to find out they're pregnant and seek an abortion, because 6 weeks is measured from their last period, not from when the insemination occurred. 

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2021, 09:40 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The law doesn't have an exception for rape or incest, so i think that comment was just someone asking rhetorically. 

Someone raped would have less than 6 weeks to find out they're pregnant and seek an abortion, because 6 weeks is measured from their last period, not from when the insemination occurred. 

Ah well it doesn't matter.  Lord knows when I hear people complaining about "the world going to hell, these days" they often say that rapists having more kids is part of the solution.
Reply/Quote