Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas attorney general works around gay marriage decision
(06-29-2015, 09:14 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So the same concerns you have had for 50 years over someone being forced to participate in an interracial marriage?

I have had zero concerns on an interracial marriage. Government is the one who is in the marriage business to prevent interracial marriage .

no government marriage = no concern on interracial marriage... Same can be said for gay marriage
(06-29-2015, 11:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think you're confusing backing with quoting. Sure they can quote scripture all day, but the fact that none of it has anything to do with bi-racial marriage is inconvenient. 

WTS, there are verses opposing relationships with folks of different faiths. 

So where is the scriputure that forbids lesbians from marrying each other?
(06-30-2015, 12:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So where is the scriputure that forbids lesbians from marrying each other?

There is none. Hell, I don't even think there is scripture that forbids men from marrying each other.

I suppose they just didn't consider all the options back then. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-30-2015, 01:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There is none. Hell, I don't even think there is scripture that forbids men from marrying each other.

Then why are so many Christians against it?
(06-30-2015, 01:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Then why are so many Christians against it?

Pretty sure it has more to do with the activities they participate in.  

But it does say that marriage is reserved for a man and woman (once again they didn't consider all the options such as transgender)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-30-2015, 01:33 AM)bfine32 Wrote: But it does say that marriage is reserved for a man and woman (once again they didn't consider all the options such as transgender)

Yeah, I am wrong about the scripture on this one.

I was just thinking about how the scripture against homosexuality only applies to men.
(06-30-2015, 12:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So where is the scriputure that forbids lesbians from marrying each other?

(06-30-2015, 01:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: There is none. Hell, I don't even think there is scripture that forbids men from marrying each other.

The mostly commonly cited verse doesn't even say they will go to hell for having gay sex.

Just that we should kill them.

Oddly that is not an option.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-29-2015, 11:53 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have had zero concerns on an interracial marriage.   Government is the one who is in the marriage business to prevent interracial marriage .  

no government marriage = no concern on interracial marriage...   Same can be said for gay marriage

So you don't have any issues with gay marriage either then?

(06-29-2015, 08:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: As far as gay marriage my only issue is the rights of others to not participate. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-30-2015, 06:21 AM)GMDino Wrote: The mostly commonly cited verse doesn't een say they will go to hell for having gay sex.

Just that we should kill them.

Oddly that is not an option.  Mellow

You mean you haven't seen those suggestions?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(06-30-2015, 09:33 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: You mean you haven't seen those suggestions?

I have.  I also wonder if that won't be next since they can't keep SSM illegal anymore.  Mellow
(06-29-2015, 08:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Do you think God would be ok with gays? 

Which god?  There are like 3,000 of them if you listen to everyone.
(06-30-2015, 07:39 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So you don't have any issues with gay marriage either then?

That's not having a problem with gay marriage.  That's accepting that others may have religious objections to participating.  I don't understand why we can't accept other people's point of view without thinking they hate someone else.  Some guy believes it's a sin to bake a cake for a gay wedding, let him.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-30-2015, 10:18 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That's not having a problem with gay marriage.  That's accepting that others may have religious objections to participating.  I don't understand why we can't accept other people's point of view without thinking they hate someone else.  Some guy believes it's a sin to bake a cake for a gay wedding, let him.  

The law does not require anyone to participate in the marriage.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(06-30-2015, 10:18 AM)michaelsean Wrote: That's not having a problem with gay marriage.  That's accepting that others may have religious objections to participating.  I don't understand why we can't accept other people's point of view without thinking they hate someone else.  Some guy believes it's a sin to bake a cake for a gay wedding, let him.  

So we're back to a baker providing a service equating that with approving of the wedding.

Except in this case it is NOT a private business but a government office and employee who should up hold the perfectly legal transaction.

As someone else said will they not issue licences to divorced people who want to remarry?  Or inter-faith marriage?
(06-30-2015, 10:32 AM)GMDino Wrote: So we're back to a baker providing a service equating that with approving of the wedding.

Except in this case it is NOT a private business but a government office and employee who should up hold the perfectly legal transaction.

As someone else said will they not issue licences to divorced people who want to remarry?  Or inter-faith marriage?

I was referring to their posts, not the OP, which I agree should not be an option for a government employee.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

It all sounds so simple when you don't look at the big picture.  Say your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and the only service station for miles around refuses to help you for religious reasons.  Or you live in a lightly populated part of the country and none of the local businesses will serve you because of their religious beliefs.

You are spoiled by being in the majority.  You don't think things through.

Now Texas is trying to expand it to government services.  How would you like to call an ambulance for your dying child and when they show up they tell you they don't help "people like you" because of their religious beliefs.  Or what about the police?  Should they be allowed to just help the people who agree with their religious beliefs?

I can't believe the people of Texas don't see what total insanity this policy is.
(06-30-2015, 03:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It all sounds so simple when you don't look at the big picture.  Say your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and the only service station for miles around refuses to help you for religious reasons.  Or you live in a lightly populated part of the country and none of the local businesses will serve you because of their religious beliefs.

You are spoiled by being in the majority.  You don't think things through.

Now Texas is trying to expand it to government services.  How would you like to call an ambulance for your dying child and when they show up they tell you they don't help "people like you" because of their religious beliefs.  Or what about the police?  Should they be allowed to just help the people who agree with their religious beliefs?

I can't believe the people of Texas don't see what total insanity this policy is.

I'm not spoiled by being in the majority.  How many cars have broken down in the middle of nowhere with only one shop and the person refused service to a gay person?

You'd be hard pressed to find a major religion that disallows someone to provide service to a gay person.  It almost always involves the ceremony aspect.

(06-30-2015, 05:31 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not spoiled by being in the majority.  How many cars have broken down in the middle of nowhere with only one shop and the person refused service to a gay person?

You'd be hard pressed to find a major religion that disallows someone to provide service to a gay person.  It almost always involves the ceremony aspect.

Imagine you are broke down on the way to your gay marriage...and the only taxi service wan't help you because you are marrying your best mate from boarding school.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Most of the references aren't from God, just customs of the time/region, like dowries. I don't think there was a specific reference against it since there probably wasn't anyone around then who would have married two men or two women.
(06-30-2015, 05:31 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not spoiled by being in the majority.  How many cars have broken down in the middle of nowhere with only one shop and the person refused service to a gay person?

See, there you go again.  You refuse to look at the big picture.  You think it is okay for people to suffer as long as it doesn't happen all the time.  This country is full of people with extreme beliefs.  And if discrimination was allowed then a lot more would come out.  I know here where I live that if a business put out a sign that said "No Gays Allowed" they would start getting most of the business and pretty soon everyone would be doing it.  Christians around here actually think they are "under attack" and they would flock to support a business that "stood up for traditional marriage".   Places that still "supported the sinners" would go out of business.

The fact is that you don't worry how many people will suffer because you know that you are safe in the majority.

Look at the people who follow Glenn Beck and believe that every Muslim is a violent woman beater.  Muslims would suffer extreme levels of discrimination at the hands of Beck followers.