Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texas removes plaque from capitol that made false pro-Confederacy claims
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lawmaker-confederate-plaque-removed-texas-capitol-60350150?cid=social_fb_abcnp

The plaque sought to honor the heroics of Confederate soldiers and "pledged" to "study and teach the truths of history" that the "underlying cause" of the Civil War was not "to sustain slavery".

Of course, the Texas causes of secession from 1861 stated unequivocally that slavery was the biggest reason they joined the Confederacy.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/secession/2feb1861.html
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
As someone that once had over a $1000 worth of Civil War books by time I was 18, I fully agree that plaque should have been taken down. And any notion that slavery was not the main root cause of the Civil War is wrong, no two ways about. Those that don't think it is are wanting to envision their own version of history.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(01-14-2019, 08:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/lawmaker-confederate-plaque-removed-texas-capitol-60350150?cid=social_fb_abcnp

The plaque sought to honor the heroics of Confederate soldiers and "pledged" to "study and teach the truths of history" that the "underlying cause" of the Civil War was not "to sustain slavery".

Of course, the Texas causes of secession from 1861 stated unequivocally that slavery was the biggest reason they joined the Confederacy.

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/secession/2feb1861.html

I have some relatives in Texas who get exercised over stuff like this. They see it as "denying heritage."

Seems like symbols and images of the Confederacy have morphed into symbols of modern-day resistance to Washington and "liberals," especially in rural areas.  The logic and substantive continuity are certainly there--Washington elites imposing their priorities on the rest of the country, trampling states rights, etc., just like they did back then.
(01-14-2019, 11:54 PM)Millhouse Wrote: As someone that once had over a $1000 worth of Civil War books by time I was 18, I fully agree that plaque should have been taken down. And any notion that slavery was not the main root cause of the Civil War is wrong, no two ways about. Those that don't think it is are wanting to envision their own version of history.

Many people argue that the Civil War was fought to keep states from leaving the Union.

What they don't realize is that they wanted to leave the Union to keep Slavery.

It truly is rediculous.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(01-17-2019, 04:56 PM)Dill Wrote: I have some relatives in Texas who get exercised over stuff like this. They see it as "denying heritage."

Seems like symbols and images of the Confederacy have morphed into symbols of modern-day resistance to Washington and "liberals," especially in rural areas.  The logic and substantive continuity are certainly there--Washington elites imposing their priorities on the rest of the country, trampling states rights, etc., just like they did back then.

I grew up in Georgia. You may be right to a certain extent, but there are other reasons as well. Some of it is nothing more of a reverence for those that fought, and died. Most Southerners didn't fight to preserve slavery. Most that died never knew a slave owner, and owned next to nothing of their own. They fought because a large foraging army had invaded their home.

I'm not even addressing that stupid ass plaque. We all know why the southern states sought to leave the Union. It's just too bad that the planters, and politicians didn't do the fighting for themselves... But some things never change I guess.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
The Smithsonian Magazine had a great article recently about how much federal tax money is spent supporting the racist "Lost Cause" Civil War ideology popular in the south. Federal tax money helps pay for people at Jefferson Davis's home and other historical landmarks to teach people that slavery was not really that bad and that the Civil War was not fought over slavery.