Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank You for the Sense of Urgency
(11-13-2018, 06:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: With all that’s going on in Cincinnati this week, I would like to take a chance to thank the Front Office for having a sense of urgency. This is highly unusual and countercultural to Bengal history. Still, I like it, I appreciate it, and I want to see more of it. To make changes like this, you know, big wholesale changes during a winning season and a playoff run, is highly unusual. This takes guts, vision, and risk.

Maybe, just maybe, Mike Brown wants to win. I haven’t seen this sort of out of the box thinking since Sam Wyche was the head coach. Let’s hope Marvin Lewis can take the Cincinnati defense several levels higher than it currently performs.

This season isn’t lost.

I’m sure he’d like to win. I’m sure he’d like to win a Super Bowl if it’s convenient, but it’s not his number one priority. You can’t say it’s a number one priority and keep a guy for fifteen years and counting who has gotten you nowhere near a Super Bowl. It’s illogical.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 08:20 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I agree with you about the firing of Alexander to a large extent. I honestly did not think it would happen, yet it did and I was very pleased with that. I think that situation also falls into what I was attempting to say earlier with Austin, in that it had become so blatantly bad that they reached the point of no return and were forced to finally make the move. I was extremely impressed with the signings of Van Pelt and Pollack.

I must admit that the "open your eyes" comment did touch somewhat of a nerve , but only because before joining this forum, I had previously spent time in a Bengals group on Facebook where that was a greatly overused assertion. If you disagreed with some in any way, or offered an alternative view of things, you were deemed as "blind" or needing to "open your eyes".

I am still in the process of feeling this forum out and assessing how different posters approach conversation, but I must say that I'm already enjoying the overall atmosphere here much more than I ever did in my previous home for Bengals discussion. 

Welcome aboard

I spend very, very little time on FB but the little I have on there I've looked at some of the different Bengal sites and found them pretty lame. I think you'll find it way better here all the way around.

As for Hue I don't doubt that he can help short term. But I don't think he's any kind of long term answer, at all.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 08:20 PM)Lucidus Wrote: I agree with you about the firing of Alexander to a large extent. I honestly did not think it would happen, yet it did and I was very pleased with that. I think that situation also falls into what I was attempting to say earlier with Austin, in that it had become so blatantly bad that they reached the point of no return and were forced to finally make the move. I was extremely impressed with the signings of Van Pelt and Pollack.

I must admit that the "open your eyes" comment did touch somewhat of a nerve , but only because before joining this forum, I had previously spent time in a Bengals group on Facebook where that was a greatly overused assertion. If you disagreed with some in any way, or offered an alternative view of things, you were deemed as "blind" or needing to "open your eyes".

I am still in the process of feeling this forum out and assessing how different posters approach conversation, but I must say that I'm already enjoying the overall atmosphere here much more than I ever did in my previous home for Bengals discussion. 

Well, sorry we got off on the wrong foot.  We're glad to have you here, welcome to the boards!  I avoid posting in those FB groups because many of the commenters seem so short sighted.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
How awesome is it that a year after having a terrible offense, we now have a terrible defense.

Change happens, offense gets better, since it had nowhere to go but up. Didn't exactly set the world on fire, though. Team is routed twice, looking really bad in the process.

A certain someone gets a timeout which later becomes permanent and the team wins last two.

So now, defense making a mockery of its very name, the coordinator given the boot.

First game of the Marv era may show a marked improvement. The Ravens are no offensive machine. And when you're coming from as low as last Sunday, it doesn't take much to look better.

The offense did it last year. But it wasn't sustained and thus the 7-9.

What'll it be this time around. How maddening is it to even ask that question? But the craziest part of it all is not even being out of the playoff hunt.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 06:23 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: With all that’s going on in Cincinnati this week, I would like to take a chance to thank the Front Office for having a sense of urgency. This is highly unusual and countercultural to Bengal history. Still, I like it, I appreciate it, and I want to see more of it. To make changes like this, you know, big wholesale changes during a winning season and a playoff run, is highly unusual. This takes guts, vision, and risk.  

Maybe, just maybe, Mike Brown wants to win.  I haven’t seen this sort of out of the box thinking since Sam Wyche was the head coach.  Let’s hope Marvin Lewis can take the Cincinnati defense several levels higher than it currently performs.  

This season isn’t lost.

Mike Brown's days are numbered and he probably wants to be remembered as something more than the guy who destroyed his father's football team. Sadly, it's too little too late and another move of desperation. Maybe something will come of this and the defense will start playing up to their talent or maybe it won't.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 06:46 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: No offense, but this was textbook Mike Brown. A safe, familiar, cheap solution.

exactly...ITS on page 2 of Mike Browns 3 page playbook. Nothing innovative or earthshattering etc. Just a safe inexpensive move. I do like Hue as a HC over Marv at this point...if that's the final plan.
Who knows. Hue said "he was happy to be back this yr" with Bengals. That tells me it maybe a temp gig. 
Reply/Quote
Im with the OP,they could of done nothing ,but marvin decided hed call the defensive plays. And add hue to help coach. I like it and want them to atleast win one playoff game.
Reply/Quote
This was supposed to be 2015 deja vu season. All pieces were in place for a serious run for the ring.

Ownership opened their wallet to got OL and LB help. Re signed Eifert and drafted for immediate help in rounds 1-3.

Unfortunately, injuries shrank the playbook on offense, and defense never gelled.

But at the end of the day, I'll take Green, Dalton, Mixon, Boyd and Ross any day and all day.

The murderers row schedule is behind us. We are still at the roulette table, up one stack.

Lewis was in the same spot in 2000 with the Ravens - at 5-4.

I know it's not the same Team, but let's see where we go from here.
Reply/Quote
OP is correct, at least we done something! Hardly earth shattering and the end result was somewhat predictable; BUT...we ARE still incredibly in the playoff race...so let's see what happens!
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:08 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: OP is correct, at least we done something! Hardly earth shattering and the end result was somewhat predictable; BUT...we ARE still incredibly in the playoff race...so let's see what happens!
Had to so something.  Late is better than never.  And at this point of the season, how many other options were there?  I just hope he coaches the D like he did back in Baltimore.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 07:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just as I thought.  SOME OF the same people who whine and cry about the Bengals not doing anything still whine and cry when they do something.

Marvin could win 3 Super Bowls in a row and some people here would be just be whining and crying about why he waited so long and how "a real coach" would have won 6 in a row.

are you serious????? merv winning 3 SB's? that will NEVER happen! EVER!! THATS what people whine about!!!

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 07:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just as I thought.  SOME OF the same people who whine and cry about the Bengals not doing anything still whine and cry when they do something.

Marvin could win 3 Super Bowls in a row and some people here would be just be whining and crying about why he waited so long and how "a real coach" would have won 6 in a row.

I honestly believe that if they won just ONE Super Bowl you would see the happiest, most grateful fan base since the Cubs won the World Series.  However, I am beginning to become resigned that simply ins't going to happen. 
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right, because there were so many other quality coaches available to fill a huge hole on our staff.

It is hard to bring in a stranger mid season to hit the ground running knowing exactly what the HC wants/needs.

Hue was just what we needed.  And it has nothing to do with him becoming HC.  We heard that before and it turned out to be BS. 

No it wasn't, according to his agent, John Thorton:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/14/hue-jackson-agent-talks-bengals-head-coach/

https://www.bengals.com/news/lewis-jackson-embark-on-division-of-labor

"Lewis has one year left on his deal after this season, but it’s safe to presume the succession plan is back on the table, as Brown’s trust in Jackson the person will trump Jackson’s failed performances as head coach just as trust in Lewis trumps things like no playoff wins and an 8-26 record against the Pittsburgh Steelers."

"While Thornton was negotiating Jackson’s deal in Cleveland, Jackson was having an emotional meeting with Lewis and Brown in Mike Brown’s office. There was talk of a succession plan and the past and the future and Thornton sensed he was losing his man."

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Fred, wake me up when Merv wins 3 Super Bowls.......
Reply/Quote
This is better than leaving Austin in place and saying something like “we go to war with what we have”.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:39 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Fred, wake me up when Merv wins 3 Super Bowls.......

No kidding, Marvin could not even win the Bud Bowl. He would be clapping and all the dogs would get confused. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 02:19 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: No kidding, Marvin could not even win the Bud Bowl. He would be clapping and all the dogs would get confused. 

I think you mean Animal Planet's "Puppy Bowl."

[Image: puppy-bowl020516-animalplanet-ftrjpg_s8j...wdc5tr.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Maybe, just maybe, Mike Brown wants to win.  I haven’t seen this sort of out of the box thinking since Sam Wyche was the head coach.  Let’s hope Marvin Lewis can take the Cincinnati defense several levels higher than it currently performs.  

This season isn’t lost.

5-4 while still having the Broncos, Raiders, and Browns twice is definitely not a lost season. It would be a disappointment for this team to not finish 9-7. I think 10-6 is best-case scenario though, and I honestly don't think the Bengals would have a good shot at beating any of the current AFC playoff teams (NE, KC, PIT, HOU, LAC) if they were to make the playoffs. But to me, a winning record is a step in the right direction.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote