Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank you
I wanted to make a sincere thank you to the posters in this forum.

While we disagree, even heatedly, over issues there is never a hint of violent anger at each other.

I had a rather heated exchange with a friend and a friend of a friend over what Pete Davidson said on SNL versus when Trump said on the campaign trail.  And while there was sarcasm and some condensation it was more or less a typical argument on line.  Then a third person jumped in with persona attacks and threats of violence...which continued for quite awhile.

I never think about that kind of post happening here.  I mean I know that's going to be a instaban anyway, but it never really crosses my mind that one of you would want to settle a disagreement in this forum with violence.

Maybe I'm wrong...but I've never thought that way about this group.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I was twenty miles from your house one time before reason took over.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I was on the side of whichever dude said Pete Davidson is a complete douche bag for what he said about the wounded veteran.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-05-2018, 05:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was on the side of whichever dude said Pete Davidson is a complete douche bag for what he said about the wounded veteran.

So was I...with the caveat that Davidson, taking meds to stay close to normal, made a one line aside in a bit on a comedy show versus Trump's comment on the campaign trail about  McCain.

But this particular person said Trump "made a joke" as his defense of his support of Trump NOT being a POS....and Davidson was a POS for, uh, making a joke.
(11-05-2018, 05:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I was twenty miles from your house one time before reason took over.

Should have called.  I'd make coffee.
(11-05-2018, 05:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: Should have called.  I'd make coffee.

[Image: VGTNHD.gif]
(11-05-2018, 05:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: Should have called.  I'd make coffee.

Well that's why I turned around.  I realized I hadn't even let you know I was coming.

I didn't know who this Davidson guy was so I looked him up. (I haven't seen SNL in years)  He's a bit odd looking that's for sure.  The Crenshaw guy seems pretty cool about it.  He didn't think it was all that funny, and may have been more offended if said about another veteran as soldiers seem to be that way,  but he's walking the walk.  Quit being overly offended by everything.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Crenshaw is just another Republican snowflake.

Being PC is stupid except when it applies to them.
(11-05-2018, 06:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Crenshaw is just another Republican snowflake.

Being PC is stupid except when it applies to them.

Guess you just guessed at his response? I pretty much summarized it up above.

(11-05-2018, 06:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Guess you just guessed at his response?  I pretty much summarized it up above.

No.  I read his response.  He said we should not joke about wounded vets.  That is called being politically correct.  And many Republicans have been squealing about how bad it is to be politically correct going so far as calling people "snowflakes" for being politically correct.

So doesn't that make Crenshaw a "snowflake"?
(11-05-2018, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I read his response.  He said we should not joke about wounded vets.  That is called being politically correct.  And many Republicans have been squealing about how bad it is to be politically correct going so far as calling people "snowflakes" for being politically correct.

He said wounded vets would probably not like jokes about them. That's not PC.  He said people can say what they want and nobody owes him an apology.  

(11-05-2018, 06:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He said wounded vets would probably not like jokes about them. That's not PC.   

That is the very definition of PC.
(11-05-2018, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I read his response.  He said we should not joke about wounded vets.  That is called being politically correct.  And many Republicans have been squealing about how bad it is to be politically correct going so far as calling people "snowflakes" for being politically correct.

For real? You consider not making jokes about disabled vets as simply being politically correct? 

"I'll not make fun of homeless children because I want to be politically correct".  

(11-05-2018, 07:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For real? You consider not making jokes about disabled vets as simply being politically correct? 

"I'll not make fun of homeless children because I want to be politically correct".  

To me being politically correct means being careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people.

What do you think it means?
(11-05-2018, 05:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: I wanted to make a sincere thank you to the posters in this forum.

While we disagree, even heatedly, over issues there is never a hint of violent anger at each other.

Maybe I'm wrong...but I've never thought that way about this group.

[Image: i-kill-you-Achmed.gif]

(11-05-2018, 07:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me being politically correct means being careful to not use language or behave in a way that could offend a particular group of people.

What do you think it means?

Not offending someone based on their political views. 

You really don't know the difference between PC and disrespectful? 

(11-05-2018, 05:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: I wanted to make a sincere thank you to the posters in this forum.

You're most welcome!  I strongly feel like we make a concerted effort, in order to keep things relatively civil around here.  However, that only works if we can get all (or most) of the regular participants on board as well.  One of the unique qualities of this place, is our ability to have those disagreeing conversations ad nauseum, and still all remain friends at heart.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(11-05-2018, 07:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not offending someone based on their political views. 

You really don't know the difference between PC and disrespectful? 

I never really though of race, disability, or sexual orientation as "political views".  But they all seem to be covered by "political correctness".
(11-05-2018, 07:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is the very definition of PC.

Not even close. You can find things in bad taste without being pc. And you can say there is a group of people who will not appreciate this. That’s not pc. He’s stating a fact. Then went on to say people should say what they like.

I’m not going to rip this guy. I understand that comedians try to get close to the edge, but also I’m not a vet let alone a wounded one.

(11-05-2018, 08:06 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not even close.

Okay then, what is the definition of PC?