Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank you Earth's rotation?
Just saw this article on ESPN.com that says we can thank the Earth's rotation for the lucky deflection off the goal post on the winning FG. Think I've heard it all now.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13865294/astrophysicist-says-bengals-game-winning-fg-aided-earth-rotation
Reply/Quote
So they won literally because the ball bounced their way? Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Anything to undermine an epic comeback I guess.

Keep being your awful self, ESPN.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I'm really happy the earth just started to rotate when we kicked that field goal Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 09:00 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Anything to undermine an epic comeback I guess.

Keep being your awful self, ESPN.

Actually it was brought up by a world famous scientist, most likely in an effort to peak the curiosities of youth in physics.

Nothing wrong with it, and nothing false either, the earth moves.
Reply/Quote
Stand corrected then.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I want to know if Nugent was required to call the bank shot.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 09:07 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Actually it was brought up by a world famous scientist, most likely in an effort to peak the curiosities of youth in physics.

Nothing wrong with it, and nothing false either, the earth moves.

True, but I still want the wife to give me the credit.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I quickly double-checked Dr. Tyson's physics and came up with 1.1 cm for the coriolis deflection, which is indeed about half an inch. It wouldn't matter which end zone Nugent was kicking toward because the deflection is always to the right in the Northern Hemisphere, but latitude does matter. If the kick had been at a more southern latitude, say, in Miami, the deflection would have been less and perhaps the ball would have hit the upright more squarely and not caromed through.

Clearly Mike Nugent is a genius if he can work through acceleration due to pseudoforces in rotating frames in his head in a few seconds while NFL players are preparing to rush headlong at him in an effort to knock him unconscious and tens of thousands of screaming fans are looking on.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 08:53 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Just saw this article on ESPN.com that says we can thank the Earth's rotation for the lucky deflection off the goal post on the winning FG. Think I've heard it all now.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13865294/astrophysicist-says-bengals-game-winning-fg-aided-earth-rotation

Does the earth only rotate in Cincinnati?  
Reply/Quote
Neil Degrasse Tyson rules. I've spent hours watching his youtube sessions and all of Cosmos Season 1, if you're into astrophysics it's all interesting stuff in layman's terms.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Ball before being kicked is object A. This is a fixed point in relation to the surface of the Earth there for it is moving at a speed porportional to the movement of the surface of the Earth.

Goal post is object B. Also a in fixed point in in relation to the surface.

Kickers's plant leg meets the earth a point c. Also a fixed point related to the surface.

Due to the plant leg being at point C all movement of the body including the foot making contact with the ball is also moving at a rate proportional to the Earth.

When the Ball is launched from that fixed point by way of movement still in proportion to the movement of the surface the ball continues to follow a path relative to all fixed point.

Meaning - All three objects (the kinking point, uprights and ball) are moving east to west at the same rate to point which is stationary relative to the center point of the earth (meaning not attached to the surface) due to laws of motion.

Incorrect interpretation of science by the astrophysicist unless there is something I am missing.

This was just a slapped together quick response compared to how I have this in my head but I think I stated it clear enough. Too busy to go into the longer explanation.
Reply/Quote
I've never heard of Neil DeGrasse Tyson being wrong, he certainly won't admit it if you ever watch his talks (lol), though a lot of scientific stuff is still postulates/hypothetical.
Reply/Quote
I posted this like 2 or 3 hours ago....
[Image: BernLocksig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
[Image: image1.gif~c200]

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 09:46 PM)Penn Wrote: Ball before being kicked is object A.  This is a fixed point in relation to the surface of the Earth there for it is moving at a speed porportional to the movement of the surface of the Earth.

Goal post is object B.  Also a in fixed point in in relation to the surface.

Kickers's plant leg meets the earth a point c.  Also a fixed point related to the surface.

Due to the plant leg being at point C all movement of the body including the foot making contact with the ball is also moving at a rate proportional to the Earth.

When the Ball is launched from that fixed point by way of movement still in proportion to the movement of the surface the ball continues to follow a path relative to all fixed point.

Meaning - All three objects (the kinking point, uprights and ball) are moving east to west at the same rate to point which is stationary relative to the center point of the earth (meaning not attached to the surface) due to laws of motion.

Incorrect interpretation of science by the astrophysicist unless there is something I am missing.

This was just a slapped together quick response compared to how I have this in my head but I think I stated it clear enough.  Too busy to go into the longer explanation.

Yes, you're missing something.  It's called the Coriolis force.  It's a pseudoforce that happens because the ball follows a Newtonian trajectory while the goalposts, which are attached to the Earth, continue spinning with the Earth.  Now, you may not notice it, but the Earth is pretty big, and so to rotate once every 24 hours points on the surface have to move pretty fast.  They move around a big circle around the Earth in 24 hours, and that's a lot of distance in that amount of time.  There's some trigonometry involved, but the lateral speed at which things are moving is about 1000 miles per hour fast at the same latitude as Cincinnati.  Things on the Earth are also accelerating, since they're moving in a circle.  It's this acceleration that causes the apparent deflection of the football.

Analogy: think of two kids on one of those playground merry-go-rounds, sitting on either side and tossing a ball back and forth to each other as the merry-go-round spins.  If the merry-go-round is spinning counterclockwise as viewed from above, the kid throwing the ball sees it veer off to the right, and the kid catching it sees it veer to the left.  But someone standing on solid ground beside the merry-go-round just sees the ball go in a straight line while the kids spin in a circle.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 09:46 PM)Penn Wrote: Ball before being kicked is object A.  This is a fixed point in relation to the surface of the Earth there for it is moving at a speed porportional to the movement of the surface of the Earth.

Goal post is object B.  Also a in fixed point in in relation to the surface.

Kickers's plant leg meets the earth a point c.  Also a fixed point related to the surface.

This was just a slapped together quick response compared to how I have this in my head but I think I stated it clear enough.  Too busy to go into the longer explanation.
Your missing the ground speed being different at different lattitudes.

Here's a good simple explanation of the Coriolis Effect and Tyson's point:
https://stratus.ssec.wisc.edu/courses/gg101/coriolis/coriolis.html

B. I Feel The Earth Move Under My Feet: North/South Motion
Without premise 3, you can still pretty convincingly describe the Coriolis Effect on objects moving due north or due south.
The Earth rotates to the east at an effectively constant angular velocity, but different latitudes have different linear speeds. A point at the equator has to go farther in a day than a point in Ohio, so it must go faster.
However, when an object starts to move north or south and is not firmly connected to the ground (air, artillery fire, etc) then it maintains its initial eastward speed as it moves. An object leaving the equator will retain the eastward speed of other objects at the equator, but if it travels far enough it will no longer be going east at the same speed the ground beneath it is.
[Image: northsouth.GIF]
The result is that an object travelling away from the equator will be heading east faster than the ground and will seem to be forced east by some mysterious force. Objects travelling towards the equator will be going more slowly than the ground beneath them and will seem to be forced west. In reality there is no actual force involved, the ground is simply moving at a different speed than the object is "used to".
Consider the diagram to the right. The orange arrow represents some object sent north from the equator. By the time it reaches the labeled northern latitude, it's gone farther east than a point on the ground would have, since it kept its eastward speed from where it started. Similarly, the yellow arrow started away from the equator at a slower eastward speed, and doesn't go as far east as the ground at the equator...seeming to deflect west from the point of view of the ground.
Reply/Quote
That shit is making me dizzy, glad I stuck to programming.

If two trains were traveling at 100 mph, I don't GAF I don't utilize trains, I have a car.
Reply/Quote
The rotation giveth and the rotation taketh away. When he boinks one off the other upright and it misses he can always blame it on the rotationpof the earth.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2015, 09:59 PM)DanTheBengalsFan Wrote: yada yada yad trigonometry yada yada yada

(10-11-2015, 10:06 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: yada yada yada lattitudes yada yada yada

The relationship between altitude and latitude is the factor I was missing.

"Yada yada yada" isn't meant to be rude of overly dismissive, just most of it was stuff I considered outside of the previously mentioned relationship.
Reply/Quote