Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thanksgiving Day Games Are Turkeys
The Detroit game has been awful for years. This year of Chicago at Detroit will be a real lousy game. But the NFL rolls out this awful at Detroit game as if it is still the 1950's.

Then Dallas became AMERICA'S TEAM in the 1980's and so we get at Dallas every year. This year the Raiders and that's not much of a game.

Then at night they have Buffalo at New Orleans, and so The South gets Home Cookin' on Thanksgiving in both Dallas and New Orleans.

I refuse to watch any of these awful match-ups. What a waste of a Thanksgiving Day.

The NFL should have long ago put the at Detroit game out of it's misery. It has for decades been one of the worst games of the season treated like it should have the best National TV slot of any game all season. Some families who know nothing of football will turn on Detroit Lions as they do every Thanksgiving, and this is The Lions Super Bowl, because they sure haven't been close to going to one.

Luckily, there use to be video stores that I would rent the summer movie hits, and the wife and kids could watch those instead of the NFLs often awful Thanksgiving servings.

They announced on NFL Sunday that there are plenty of Detroit tickets unsold, too many. The NFL is pushing trying to unload tickets to this sorry game. And yet it will get treated like The Thanksgiving Super Bowl. The NFL should stick a fork in the Detroit Thanksgiving Game, it is done. It is always one of the worst teams in the NFL as some kind of a Holiday Tradition tribute to Detroit, who had a good team in the 1950's, but that was a LONG time ago.

I'll add the NFC is hosting all the games, as it just about always does on Thanksgiving. As an old AFL Fan and an AFC Fan, Thanksgiving is just hype of the old NFL before 1970 merger. Every Thanksgiving we get Detroit and Dallas shoved down our throats with our turkey. I miss the old AFL on NBC where they would show some good AFL Games, now known as The AFC. The AFC always takes a back seat on Thanksgiving, but why can't an AFC city get a Thanksgiving Day Game ? Why is it always Detroit and Dallas, a tradition that blows the stuffing out the turkeys rear end.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'll still watch.
Reply/Quote
My family used to frequent the Thanksgiving game up in Detroit (Pontiac), so I have many good memories and am a bit biased about the Lions hosting. That is a tradition that goes back to the frickin' 1930s, when zeppelins were a cool way to get around. It is a sentimental throwback to a different age, and I for one rather enjoy that. It's the same for Dallas, though they started their tradition a few decades later.

If you want to talk about a bad Thanksgiving tradition, how about the practically non-existent history of the Bengals on Thanksgiving? They've played only once on the holiday in 54 seasons, that shit game against the Jets in 2010. I remember being excited in early '89 because the AFC Central was up in the Detroit rotation for '89, and who else would they pick to play but the AFC Central and AFC Champ Cincinnati Bengals, eh? Yeah, not so much.

When my family gathers this Thursday, we'll have the Lions game on and root for them to smash Da Bears. Just as it should be. If anyone doesn't want to watch they should feel free to join all the women watching the dog show.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
They're one of the few fanbases that have had it worse than us. Let 'em have this.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well most people are taking turkey naps.... So its okay if the games are missable... In fact its prefered.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 03:08 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: My family used to frequent the Thanksgiving game up in Detroit (Pontiac), so I have many good memories and am a bit biased about the Lions hosting.  That is a tradition that goes back to the frickin' 1930s, when zeppelins were a cool way to get around.  It is a sentimental throwback to a different age, and I for one rather enjoy that. It's the same for Dallas, though they started their tradition a few decades later.

If you want to talk about a bad Thanksgiving tradition, how about the practically non-existent history of the Bengals on Thanksgiving?  They've played only once on the holiday in 54 seasons, that shit game against the Jets in 2010.  I remember being excited in early '89 because the AFC Central was up in the Detroit rotation for '89, and who else would they pick to play but the AFC Central and AFC Champ Cincinnati Bengals, eh?  Yeah, not so much.

When my family gathers this Thursday, we'll have the Lions game on and root for them to smash Da Bears.  Just as it should be.  If anyone doesn't want to watch they should feel free to join all the women watching the dog show.

I was at that game. Froze my ass off as it was cold and raining. AND the Bengals stunk up the joint. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Detroit has had the game on since the 30s I believe and Dallas has had it since the 1970s.

I wish they would switch the games around a bit though. Detroit and Dallas getting it is a bit weird.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 03:08 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: My family used to frequent the Thanksgiving game up in Detroit (Pontiac), so I have many good memories and am a bit biased about the Lions hosting. That is a tradition that goes back to the frickin' 1930s, when zeppelins were a cool way to get around. It is a sentimental throwback to a different age, and I for one rather enjoy that. It's the same for Dallas, though they started their tradition a few decades later.

If you want to talk about a bad Thanksgiving tradition, how about the practically non-existent history of the Bengals on Thanksgiving? They've played only once on the holiday in 54 seasons, that shit game against the Jets in 2010. I remember being excited in early '89 because the AFC Central was up in the Detroit rotation for '89, and who else would they pick to play but the AFC Central and AFC Champ Cincinnati Bengals, eh? Yeah, not so much.

When my family gathers this Thursday, we'll have the Lions game on and root for them to smash Da Bears. Just as it should be. If anyone doesn't want to watch they should feel free to join all the women watching the dog show.

I hate the idea behind Thursday night games in general. Guys are fully recovered from. Sunday, and they're usually sloppy and lethargic. I'm cool on the Bengals ever playing on Thanksgiving. I hate that they make them play one every year.

Also... Literally nobody outside of Southern Ohio (where the Browns are still more popular), and parts of Indiana and Kentucky wanna watch us.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2021, 11:15 PM)jason Wrote: I hate the idea behind Thursday night games in general. Guys are fully recovered from. Sunday, and they're usually sloppy and lethargic. I'm cool on the Bengals ever playing on Thanksgiving. I hate that they make them play one every year.

Also... Literally nobody outside of Southern Ohio (where the Browns are still more popular), and parts of Indiana and Kentucky wanna watch us.

Nah, I get it.  Over the years I have stated on both here and the mothership that I do not like the Thursday night games in general.  I once had a discussion here with one of the visiting fans about that, and they kept insisting that I only disliked Thursdays because the Bengals had played so poorly.  It might have even been right after Andy's 2.0 passer rating debacle.  So, I understand where you're coming from.  I just happen to think that there is room for an exception, and that exception being Thanksgiving (and only Thanksgiving), which has such a long relationship with and tradition of football.  And, I'd like to see my favorite team play on it on occasion.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
No matter how bad Detroit is, it's kind of a tradition to tune into their game if for no other reason than it's the next logical thing to do after the Macy's parade ends. I still remember when they had the game outside at Tiger Stadium and they would show local college bands and other pageantry at halftime.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2021, 10:53 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Nah, I get it.  Over the years I have stated on both here and the mothership that I do not like the Thursday night games in general.  I once had a discussion here with one of the visiting fans about that, and they kept insisting that I only disliked Thursdays because the Bengals had played so poorly.  It might have even been right after Andy's 2.0 passer rating debacle.  So, I understand where you're coming from.  I just happen to think that there is room for an exception, and that exception being Thanksgiving (and only Thanksgiving), which has such a long relationship with and tradition of football.  And, I'd like to see my favorite team play on it on occasion.  

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for a reason... Turkey, no pressure, bad football, and hopefully a nap.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Thanksgiving plus Football is a family tradition to many, some of my relatives could not tell you much about the NFL and teams, but they know who the Lions are and actually enjoy watching the early game...
Reply/Quote
The Lions are sickening here at the end. Fire this HC he can’t manage a game.
Reply/Quote
Good game from Andy, happy thanksgiving Red Rifle
Reply/Quote