Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"That's So Bengals!" Mock
The Combine is next week and I didn't want to change up my previous mock until after the Combine, but I did decide to do a mock that tries to imitate some trends the Bengals have exhibited in the past even though they say things will change. Plus, the Bengals have already started their excuses for why they can't be spenders in outside FA due to Atkins, Dunlap, and Dennard entering the final year of their contracts and money will be needed to extend them before the season starts.

*Disclaimer - Some of these picks do match my most recent mock. I request that the focus should be more on which round each position is addressed, as that's more what I consider as being "Bengal-esque".

With that said, I present to you...THAT'S SO BENGALS!

Re-sign:
Andre Smith, OT - Bengals love the comfort of players they know. I think the team pushes to bring him back and gives him low-end starter money due to the uncertainty of Fisher.
Kevin Huber, P - Bengals love to retain their K/P/LS. I expect this to happen as long as Huber is wanting the same.
Russell Bodine, C - The Bengals have stated they would like Bodine to return because he's been their reliable (albeit poor performing) starter for four years. It gives insurance.
Chris Smith, DE - Depth DE that showed promise early in the year and will help keep experience after MJ likely leaves after this year. Should be rather cheap to retain.

FA:
Bobby Hart, OT NYG (already brought in) - veteran that will compete for OT depth.
Matt Moore, QB MIA - veteran who was backup QB while Lazor was OC for Miami. Expected to be cheap and knows the system.
Greg Robinson, OT DET - Former #2 overall pick for the Rams who had fantastic measurables and potential but hasn't panned out to date with either the Rams or Lions. Classic Mike Brown redemption project to compete with Ogbuehi at LT. This is who the Bengals will tout as the "difference maker" outside FA acquisition.

Draft:
12) Josh Jackson or Denzel Ward, CB - The more I think about it, the more I could see Bengals taking CB here like they have done every even-numbered year since 2012. Adam Jones' option isn't likely to be picked up, Dennard is entering the final year of his rookie contract, and DK will also hit FA after four years. Not sure though at this time which CB out of Ward and Jackson the Bengals would have higher. Jackson has better size whereas Ward might be more suited for slot due to his twitch.

46) Isaiah Wynn, OT/OG Georgia - In true Bengals fashion, they go BPA in Round 1 with a player that they don't view as needing to start (or even play much at all) in Year 1, then they take more of an immediate need in Round 2. Hopefully Wynn is still available, as he's one of the best overall OL in the draft and has position versatility.

77) Mike Gesicki, TE Penn St - The Bengals likely let Eifert walk and will look for a TE that can catch and get separation from inline and the slot like Eifert did. However, I do think they'll wait until Day 2 because of the weaker TE class compared to last year.

3 comp) Micah Kiser, LB Virginia - Hobson now has indicated the Bengals likely won't go LB at 12 and instead go later. I think they go the same way as they did with Nick Vigil...find a mid-round LB to compete with current LBs on the roster. Given that the Bengals need help in run support and don't have a LB that is a good fit for SAM, I think they could be looking at a guy like Micah Kiser to fill that role. Kiser has instincts and tackle production, which the Bengals have always favored. He struggles in pass coverage but makes up for it against the run. I can see the Bengals bringing him in to plug at SAM while playing Vigil at either MIKE or WILL and Burfict in the other spot. Evans and Rey back them up.

108) Mason Cole, C/OT Michigan - As frustrating as we'll all be, I expect the Bengals to continue the same trend they always have and look to grab a C prospect in Round 3/4. Cole would compete with TJ Johnson and potentially Bodine too if the team really is set on bringing Bodine back like they said.

142) Godwin Igwebuike, S Northwestern - Even though there are some fans that want the Bengals to get an elite ball hawking FS, I can see them continuing their behavior of taking a versatile-yet-unspectacular S on Day 3 to compete for a depth spot with Wilson and Fej while Williams and Iloka continue to start.

5 comp for Whit) Jaleel Scott, WR New Mexico St - I fully expect the Bengals to continue their trend of drafting some late-round sleeper WR to groom and compete for a final roster spot. He has the size the Bengals seem to prefer.

173) Bruce Hector, DT USF - Sleeper backup 3T to compete for one of the final DL spots.

204) Daniel Carlson, K Auburn - Competition for Bullock.

224 trade with NE for Flowers) Darrel Williams, RB LSU - Competition for Hill and Carson.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can honestly say, I wouldn't be too upset with that draft. With regard to FA pickups, I would puke!
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 06:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I can honestly say, I wouldn't be too upset with that draft. With regard to FA pickups, I would puke!

Just as some are fun why about LT Connor due to Ced’s performance I am likewise shy about another corner after DK and DD’s performances. Hall and Joseph were huge hits. DD and DK were busts, or damn close to it, in my estimation. Not confident in corner scouting.
Reply/Quote
Aside from scratching my head about why they would go CB in the 1st, again... It's really not that bad of a draft. Absolutely love the Wynn and Gesicki picks, actually hope that we do get those two players. As for the rest, I'm pretty familiar with the Big 10 players, and think that they would be at least quality depth, some of the sleepers I am unfamiliar with, but why not? Seems like every year a few guys that you never heard of make the NFL and earn their keep.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Really it is not terrible, but i am definately hoping for better especially in FA even though Robinson does have talent
and maybe Pollack could get something out of both him and Cole. I think Cole could be a good one and if we can grab
him in the 4th round that could be a steal. Love the Wynn pick, this makes up for everything IMHO.

Got two really versatile Lineman there.
Reply/Quote
I do not like gisecki ,he's really big but also really slow, if they don't plan on playing the first round pick again they are complete fools,which they are.why not draft qb if it's there.people claim that'll be a wasted pick.and I always think why? They never play anyway
Reply/Quote
I updated the mock to take a different LB instead of Tegray Scales. I went with Micah Kiser instead, as I think he fits the mold of what the Bengals look for in a 2-down SAM/MIKE. Plus, they need help against the run and a LB that can stack and shed.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 01:11 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I do not like gisecki ,he's really big but also really slow, if they don't plan on playing the first round pick again they are complete fools,which they are.why not draft qb if it's there.people claim that'll be a wasted pick.and I always think why? They never play anyway

NFL.com, NFLDraftScout, and Walter Football all seem to disagree with you, as do I.
For Gesicki, I see a TE that was able to often get separation and be a pass catching threat both from the slot and inline.
He's also averaged over 600 yards and 7 TDs per season the past two years, so he has production.
He may not be "fast", but he's expected to run around the same 40 speed as Eifert and Ertz (around 4.7). I think the 3-cone is very important for determining whether a TE can get separation or not since they are typically covered by a LB that has about the same size and speed. If Gesicki has a poor 3-cone at the Combine, I'll start to reconsider Gesicki's effectiveness as a legit receiving threat for the NFL.

It will be interesting to see what order the following TEs all go in the draft:
Mark Andrews
Hayden Hurst
Dallas Goedert
Mike Gesicki

Personally, the order I have above is the order I would go.

After those guys, I see the next group as:
Ian Thomas
Dalton Schultz
Troy Fumagalli
Durham Smythe

Fumagalli, Smythe, and Schultz I see as more old-school TEs that do a bit of everything but do seem to have a capped ceiling when it comes to being a receiving threat in the NFL. Thomas I see as being good potential as receiving threat but not having a lot of receiving production in college to give a ton of confidence he will succeed.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 12:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: NFL.com, NFLDraftScout, and Walter Football all seem to disagree with you, as do I.
For Gesicki, I see a TE that was able to often get separation and be a pass catching threat both from the slot and inline.
He's also averaged over 600 yards and 7 TDs per season the past two years, so he has production.
He may not be "fast", but he's expected to run around the same 40 speed as Eifert and Ertz (around 4.7). I think the 3-cone is very important for determining whether a TE can get separation or not since they are typically covered by a LB that has about the same size and speed. If Gesicki has a poor 3-cone at the Combine, I'll start to reconsider Gesicki's effectiveness as a legit receiving threat for the NFL.

It will be interesting to see what order the following TEs all go in the draft:
Mark Andrews
Hayden Hurst
Dallas Goedert
Mike Gesicki

Personally, the order I have above is the order I would go.

After those guys, I see the next group as:
Ian Thomas
Dalton Schultz
Troy Fumagalli
Durham Smythe

Fumagalli, Smythe, and Schultz I see as more old-school TEs that do a bit of everything but do seem to have a capped ceiling when it comes to being a receiving threat in the NFL. Thomas I see as being good potential as receiving threat but not having a lot of receiving production in college to give a ton of confidence he will succeed.
Actually saw a mock yesterday, believe it was MSN, but had us taking Andrews in the 4th.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 12:38 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Actually saw a mock yesterday, believe it was MSN, but had us taking Andrews in the 4th.

That would be a dream, but I just don't see any way Andrews falls all the way to the 4th barring some injury that happens between now and the draft.
He's my personal favorite as an Eifert replacement if this team wants a dynamic pass catcher at TE.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd be completely fine with this draft. Igwebuike is one of my favorite safeties in this draft
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 01:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That would be a dream, but I just don't see any way Andrews falls all the way to the 4th barring some injury that happens between now and the draft.
He's my personal favorite as an Eifert replacement if this team wants a dynamic pass catcher at TE.

Yeah, Andrews is by far my favorite TE in this draft. Reminds me of a bigger Jason Witten.

Wish we did more in FA and got a Center or LT and that way we could take him with one of our top two picks.

No way Andrews falls to the 4th round IMHO.
Reply/Quote