Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
That's racist! update.

This time its Farmers Markets.

The SDSU professors, who teach classes like “Geography of Food” and “Food Justice,” argue that “farmers’ markets are often white spaces where the food consumption habits of white people are normalized.”

"The food consumption habits of white people are normalized"?
Try and rationalize that.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/28/farmers-markets-racially-biased-cause-environmental-gentrification-professors-say.html
They should come down here..... farmers markets are loaded up with Mexicans and Haitians.
(12-29-2017, 04:21 PM)Vlad Wrote:  
This time its Farmers Markets.

The SDSU professors, who teach classes like “Geography of Food” and “Food Justice,” argue that “farmers’ markets are often white spaces where the food consumption habits of white people are normalized.”

"The food consumption habits of white people are normalized"?
Try and rationalize that.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/28/farmers-markets-racially-biased-cause-environmental-gentrification-professors-say.html
When you make up a phrase nobody understands, nobody can challenge you.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Quote:While such markets are typically set up to help combat “food deserts” in low-income and minority communities, the academics argue that they instead “attract households from higher socio-economic backgrounds, raising property values and displacing low-income residents and people of color.”

“The most insidious part of this gentrification process is that alternative food initiatives work against the community activists and residents who first mobilized to fight environmental injustices and provide these amenities but have significantly less political and economic clout than developers and real estate professionals,” the professors argue.

If you actually look at the entire argument instead of one line, it makes absolute sense.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-04-2018, 10:50 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If you actually look at the entire argument instead of one line, it makes absolute sense.

Care to explain further?
(01-04-2018, 03:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Care to explain further?

Farmers markets attract more middle class and upper middle class patrons. Hosting these markets that tend to then be populated with higher priced produce and trendy merchants helps speed up gentrification which usually is a detriment to the poorer population that once made up the area. 

At least this is the trend here in Baltimore. 

This is perhaps one of the most asinine subjects introduced in this forum. The fact that someone would suggest Farmer's Markets disadvantage minorities is something that you should get laughed at for making up; much less actually agreeing with.

"These racists are bringing fresh fruits and vegetables into our neighborhood and charging a fair price for them......RACISTS!!"
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Every time I see this thread Pop up I think it should be a place we post every irrational Post someone calls someone else a racist.
(01-05-2018, 09:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is perhaps one of the most asinine subjects introduced in this forum. The fact that someone would suggest Farmer's Markets disadvantage minorities is something that you should get laughed at for making up; much less actually agreeing with.

"These racists are bringing fresh fruits and vegetables into our neighborhood and charging a fair price for them......RACISTS!!"

Farmers markets in Kentucky must be quite different from farmers markets in Maryland then. If I want affordable produce, I don't go to the inner city Baltimore farmer's market. That's where I go if I want artisan mushrooms and crepes.

but no doubt not addressing anything from the actual source dismisses the research of these professionals. 

(01-05-2018, 11:38 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Farmers markets attract more middle class and upper middle class patrons. Hosting these markets that tend to then be populated with higher priced produce and trendy merchants helps speed up gentrification which usually is a detriment to the poorer population that once made up the area. 

Thank you for the response.  I will say that this is exactly the opposite of what you encounter here in the LA area.  The produce is no more expensive and the crowd at the market is rather diverse.  It's a nice way for local farmers, of which CA has plenty, to sell their produce directly to the consumer at reasonable prices, while still making more of a profit than selling wholesale.  I wonder if the tamales vendor or the other myriad hispanic food vendors there realize they're reinforcing "white people food".

It's almost like making a definitive statement based on a broad generalization of what a farmer's market is, and does, is a bad idea.
in case anyone wants to actually read the chapter instead of claiming that anyone called anything "racist"

https://books.google.com/books?id=ltZCDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT151&lpg=PT151&dq=Just+Green+Enough+farmers+markets&source=bl&ots=RF-gJ2wkNA&sig=qyBconcn4NE7bxwBH9-XDQUJ3PI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj255y12sjYAhXGwiYKHSX8BM84ChDoAQgrMAE#v=onepage&q=Just%20Green%20Enough%20farmers%20markets&f=false

(01-08-2018, 12:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Thank you for the response.  I will say that this is exactly the opposite of what you encounter here in the LA area.  The produce is no more expensive and the crowd at the market is rather diverse.  It's a nice way for local farmers, of which CA has plenty, to sell their produce directly to the consumer at reasonable prices, while still making more of a profit than selling wholesale.  I wonder if the tamales vendor or the other myriad hispanic food vendors there realize they're reinforcing "white people food".

It's almost like making a definitive statement based on a broad generalization of what a farmer's market is, and does, is a bad idea.

The author's mention that their focus is San Diego and point to the fact that most of these garden or markets are in areas that are gentrified or have higher incomes. They also use two local non profits with different methods as case studies and compare the changes in their neighborhoods over the last decade. 

Based on my own experience, Baltimore's markets are more like San Diego and less like what you're describing in LA. If you actually read their work and don't go off of the  reports from conservative outlets, no definitive statements along those lines are made. 

(01-08-2018, 01:05 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The author's mention that their focus is San Diego and point to the fact that most of these garden or markets are in areas that are gentrified or have higher incomes. They also use two local non profits with different methods as case studies and compare the changes in their neighborhoods over the last decade. 

Based on my own experience, Baltimore's markets are more like San Diego and less like what you're describing in LA. If you actually read their work and don't go off of the  reports from conservative outlets, no definitive statements along those lines are made. 

We have a mixture, but it comes from being an an agricultural area. We were the breadbasket of the Confederacy for a reason. We do have a lot of smaller farmers' markets around that are much like SSF talks about in LA, but the major ones tend to be a different matter. Though even so, they aren't entirely gentrified. There is some, don't get me wrong, but that tends to be more of the prepared foods and artisans. The produce peddlers, that is a good price. Also, the meat is a bit high, but it's also forest raised pork, things like that.
(01-08-2018, 12:57 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: in case anyone wants to actually read the chapter instead of claiming that anyone called anything "racist"

https://books.google.com/books?id=ltZCDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT151&lpg=PT151&dq=Just+Green+Enough+farmers+markets&source=bl&ots=RF-gJ2wkNA&sig=qyBconcn4NE7bxwBH9-XDQUJ3PI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj255y12sjYAhXGwiYKHSX8BM84ChDoAQgrMAE#v=onepage&q=Just%20Green%20Enough%20farmers%20markets&f=false

What kind of idiot would consider a work to be racist whose first paragraph is titled White Privilege and talks about advantages folks have simply because of skin color?

Articles like these will prevail as long as folks bye into them. Once we stop focusing on race, then we can advance.

(01-05-2018, 09:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is perhaps one of the most asinine subjects introduced in this forum. The fact that someone would suggest Farmer's Markets disadvantage minorities is something that you should get laughed at for making up; much less actually agreeing with.

Brought to you by liberal college academics who's only function is to think this stuff up.

The longer a segment of the population chooses to remain "victims", "oppressed", "discriminated against", "entitled",  the more new terms (excuses) are created to rationalize it away.

Now we have "gentrification" to join the others... "social injustice", "white privilege" "systemic racism", "institutionalized racism".lol
(01-05-2018, 11:38 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Farmers markets attract more middle class and upper middle class patrons. Hosting these markets that tend to then be populated with higher priced produce and trendy merchants helps speed up gentrification which usually is a detriment to the poorer population that once made up the area. 

So you're saying that there are no middle class blacks in Baltimore?

From your very own Baltimore Sun.... a photo of a Farmers Market in Baltimore.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bal-pictures-10-spot-baltimore-farmers-market-and-nine-more-of-our-favorites-this-week-20120326-photogallery.html

[Image: bal-pictures-10-spot-baltimore-farmers-m...k-20120326]

Gee, I counted 12 black folks.
(01-08-2018, 06:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What kind of idiot would consider a work to be racist whose first paragraph is titled White Privilege and talks about advantages folks have simply because of skin color?

Articles like these will prevail as long as folks bye into them. Once we stop focusing on race, then we can advance.

Problems these authors address will prevail as long as folks dismiss them by claiming it is "racist" to discuss anything involving race. Once we start focusing on the issues involving race, then we can advance. 

(01-08-2018, 09:40 PM)Vlad Wrote: So you're saying that there are no middle class blacks in Baltimore?

From your very own Baltimore Sun.... a photo of a Farmers Market in Baltimore.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/bal-pictures-10-spot-baltimore-farmers-market-and-nine-more-of-our-favorites-this-week-20120326-photogallery.html

[Image: bal-pictures-10-spot-baltimore-farmers-m...k-20120326]

Gee, I counted 12 black folks.

Of course I'm not saying that. I said the farmers market caters to middle and upper middle class populations rather than poorer populations. You might be projecting your own race based assumptions into my post.

(01-08-2018, 02:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: We have a mixture, but it comes from being an an agricultural area. We were the breadbasket of the Confederacy for a reason. We do have a lot of smaller farmers' markets around that are much like SSF talks about in LA, but the major ones tend to be a different matter. Though even so, they aren't entirely gentrified. There is some, don't get me wrong, but that tends to be more of the prepared foods and artisans. The produce peddlers, that is a good price. Also, the meat is a bit high, but it's also forest raised pork, things like that.

That makes sense given your location. For us, when Whole Foods is too corporate for you, there's the Baltimore Farmers Market lol

I live about 2000 feet outside city limits. Best place to get produce and meat is the local Korean grocery store.

(01-09-2018, 12:22 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Problems these authors address will prevail as long as folks dismiss them by claiming it is "racist" to discuss anything involving race. Once we start focusing on the issues involving race, then we can advance. 

Problems such as Farmer's Markets?

2funny.