Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
That's racist! update.
(01-12-2018, 01:37 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's because I was the first one to bring up this specific march and from the moment I did, you felt it necessary to use a different example than the one I referred to... I am trying to get back to what was being discussed, not what you've moved the example to...

I also didn't call you racist, so calm down. 

You don't need to defend your trashy comment, I just felt the need to tell you it was trashy given my profession. 

How the hell did I use a different example, in post #28 I point directly to the march in Charoletteville? Are you speaking of a different march or just losing your mind. 

Never meant to imply you called me a racist (we know you would never). I just suggested you would use the world instead of the word (racism) being discussed. Furthermore; I have no idea what leads you to believe I am excited. Amused yes; excited not so much.

Not defending just explaining how it was used in context. I find my use quite a bit different that if I were to be referring to members of your class. I get the point; however, I will continue to use the word as I see fit.   
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-12-2018, 12:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe I get it now:

Are you saying because their actions/words are not directly affecting someone they are not ACTS of RACISM despite them being racists?

Where as if the marched on a black church or synagogue  (for example) and did the same it WOULD be racism because it was directed AT the subject of their racism.

In other words: You can be racist and say racist things without it being racism based on the motivation and audience.

Am I close?  

Sure the march could be an act of racism (no idea why the caps was required); however, it is not racism IMO. Now if this march was applauded by the community and they were complicit with the marchers (Keys to the city and 25% off at Tractor Supplies Plus to all of our brothers) then that would be racism and the march would be an act that lead to it.

Dang....now you guys have me googling definitions of "racism" and "racist".

For what it's worth, from Merriam-Webster:
Racism
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles
b : a political or social system founded on racism
3 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I tried to look up "Racist" as well, but it just redirected me to "Racism". It lists it as a noun/adjective form.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(01-12-2018, 01:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How the hell did I use a different example, in post #28 I point directly to the march in Charoletteville? Are you speaking of a different march or just losing your mind. 

Never meant to imply you called me a racist (we know you would never). I just suggested you would use the world instead of the word (racism) being discussed. Furthermore; I have no idea what leads you to believe I am excited. Amused yes; excited not so much.

Not defending just explaining how it was used in context. I find my use quite a bit different that if I were to be referring to members of your class. I get the point; however, I will continue to use the word as I see fit.   

I say that because you seemed to suggest that I was "changing words" when I specifically mention the fact that the marchers weren't just singing, they were chanting Nazi slogans (while sporting Nazi symbols too). 

I am not trying to suggest general marching for a confederate statue is inherently racist. I feel like there's a disconnect between what aspect of the march we're discussing, but I keep referring back to the Nazism on display because that was a critical component of my example, something I felt was disregarded when you voiced your opposition to my original and subsequent posts. Correct me if I am wrong, but perhaps you were just reading into my posts as me remarking on the march alone and you are voicing an unwillingness to call everyone there racist (because certainly not everyone there realized it was organized by white supremacists) while i was specifically mentioning those engaged in promoting Nazism. Or just questioning what actions can actually be "racist" using the parameters of "do they damage/harm/actively discriminate" against someone"?

Also, I'd never call you a racist, so I am glad you know that. I know you aren't racist by any means. I am admittedly big on the whole "******" thing. I know you're a good guy who just has opposing opinions, you didn't mean anything shitty by the comment, so I shouldn't try to shame you about it. My apologies.

I'm hoping we can set the snark aside that the two of us have been using. I think it's clouding our responses.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-12-2018, 02:15 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I say that because you seemed to suggest that I was "changing words" when I specifically mention the fact that the marchers weren't just singing, they were chanting Nazi slogans (while sporting Nazi symbols too). 

I am not trying to suggest general marching for a confederate statue is inherently racist. I feel like there's a disconnect between what aspect of the march we're discussing, but I keep referring back to the Nazism on display because that was a critical component of my example, something I felt was disregarded when you voiced your opposition to my original and subsequent posts. Correct me if I am wrong, but perhaps you were just reading into my posts as me remarking on the march alone and you are voicing an unwillingness to call everyone there racist (because certainly not everyone there realized it was organized by white supremacists) while i was specifically mentioning those engaged in promoting Nazism. Or just questioning what actions can actually be "racist" using the parameters of "do they damage/harm/actively discriminate" against someone"?

Also, I'd never call you a racist, so I am glad you know that. I know you aren't racist by any means. I am admittedly big on the whole "******" thing. I know you're a good guy who just has opposing opinions, you didn't mean anything shitty by the comment, so I shouldn't try to shame you about it. My apologies.

I'm hoping we can set the snark aside that the two of us have been using. I think it's clouding our responses.

Agreed and your post is to be admired and hopefully taken to heart by many including myself. 

I was putting it into context of the Farmer's Markets. Whether I agree or not with the premise of Farmer's Markets catering to white folk and disadvantaging blacks; that type of scenario would be racism. I simply would not compare a system such as that to a march; regardless of organizers. 

Just as I would not consider a BLM march to be racism. It is racist, often illegal, and in many cases dangerous; but it is not racism. Now if a community said you BLMs cannot march here, but you Nazis can; then that would be racism.

(01-12-2018, 02:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Agreed and your post is to be admired and hopefully taken to heart by many including myself. 

I was putting it into context of the Farmer's Markets. Whether I agree or not with the premise of Farmer's Markets catering to white folk and disadvantaging blacks; that type of scenario would be racism. I simply would not compare a system such as that to a march; regardless of organizers. 

Just as I would not consider a BLM march to be racism. It is racist, often illegal, and in many cases dangerous; but it is not racism. Now if a community said you BLMs cannot march here, but you Nazis can; then that would be racism.

Likewise, I don't see farmers markets as inherently bad or racist. There are many that exist in areas where they are truly a product of the community and benefit the local population. There are also many that exist in areas at risk of gentrification or going through gentrification that cater to nonlocal populations or help to speed up a process that harms poor communities in general (which are often mostly minorities), and those are the ones that should be looked at and their benefits questioned. 

I think there's a big difference between something being racist and something inadvertently causing more harm to minority or poor communities. I would absolutely disagree with anyone making a blanket statement about farmers markets, especially calling them racist, but I did agree with the author's interpretation of data focused solely on the San Diego area demonstrated an issue that was detrimental for some communities. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]