Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That sound you hear? Our window to compete SLAMMING SHUT
(03-09-2017, 03:18 PM)BengalBo Wrote: Because Z is not that good? Can replace him with FA or draft pick

FA.....lol....good one.  LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I had a nightmare last Month I came out of a deep sleep and thought I was in the 90's again. And it does not seam to end.
Reply/Quote
has anyone seen pistons horn?
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 02:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We had a good run. Playoffs in 5 years in a row. 5 out of 6 years.

Now age and free agency is tearing the team apart. 6 years is a long time in athletics.

We haven't had the good drafts to replenish talent leaving.

Our offensive line is in shambles...needing atleast 3 starting caliber players...and that's assuming Fisher pans out. Our 2 best lineman are leaving. Whitworth...our perennial captain...is gone.

Our RB's are question marks with our best one coming off of a late season severe injury.

Our starting defense was the 2nd oldest in the NFL last season. We arguably need atleast a DE, 2 LB, and a CB...and that's assuming Billings can play.

One has to wonder if a coaching change wasn't needed several years ago so that we could capitalize on our once talented roster. Maybe if we signed that 1 free agent to put us over the top. Instead...we are left with the knowledge that our cap was managed well...and memories. Memories of what could have been a big run.

Hmm It seems some of us were clamoring for a couple IMPACT FAs to get us over the hump just a couple years back to keep the window open before time ran out.  Yet, here we are...... Mellow

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 10:33 AM)rezolve11 Wrote: has anyone seen pistons horn?

Can't you hear it? He's been tooting it awhile now. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 11:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Hmm It seems some of us were clamoring for a couple IMPACT FAs to get us over the hump just a couple years back to keep the window open before time ran out.  Yet, here we are...... Mellow

yes we were....... but Mikey ain't listening

I'm afraid the window isn't only shut, it's been nailed down, covered in insulation, had plywood nailed over it, and bricked in.
Reply/Quote
Fast forward now eight games later from when this thread was made and Fisher, Ogbuehi, and Bodine are just as bad as they were then.
[Image: ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdmfa3ba8wpnh6.cloudfro...6dffae.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 12:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: yes we were....... but Mikey ain't listening

I'm afraid the window isn't only shut, it's been nailed down, covered in insulation, had plywood nailed over it, and bricked in.

I don't agree. I think we have some good players in some key positions - QB, WR, TE (yes, I'm sold on Kroft), DT, DE, LB, CB, P and K (yeah, I'm actually confident in Bullock) - that all we really need is better coaching (that's all?) and an improved OL and I think we're right back in the playoffs. 
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2017, 03:02 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Unfortunately it's not.  This isn't the same NFL as it was 5 years ago.  Why can't you pay a RG that much?  The salary cap is $167 million and Cincy has a ton available.  Where are we going to spend that money?  It sure won't be on outside free agents? Are we going to extend someone?  That won't use up all that money.

You can't just let the young guys walk out the door.  I get not signing Whit.  He's older and at some point he will slow down.

There's no reason you can't sign both Dre and Z and still have $15 million to roll over to next year (where we already have a ton of cap space)

They could have signed Whit to the same contract signed with Rams.

A lot of money up front which he earned and ability of club to opt out with minimal salary cap hit in second and third years

They also had the money to sign Zeitler given the salary cap and no- Dre is not as good a CB as Zeitler is at right guard.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 12:34 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't agree. I think we have some good players in some key positions - QB, WR, TE (yes, I'm sold on Kroft), DT, DE, LB, CB, P and K (yeah, I'm actually confident in Bullock) - that all we really need is better coaching (that's all?) and an improved OL and I think we're right back in the playoffs. 

Unless Son of Paul decides to open the purse strings and goes all in like Minnesota did this past offseason, we ain't fixing the mess up front for a few years.

Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 12:39 PM)bengals67 Wrote: They could have signed Whit to the same contract signed with Rams.

A lot of money up front which he earned and ability of club to opt out with minimal salary cap hit in second and third years

They also had the money to sign Zeitler given the salary cap and no- Dre is not as good a CB as Zeitler is at right guard.

.....not to mention, if they had only extended Zeitler when DeCastro got his deal (or before, would have been the smartest thing to do), they wouldn't have had to pay him what the Browns did to retain his services.

Reply/Quote
You guys would destroy us now if we played heck you beat us up back in week 3. I hope the Bengals get back to the 2013 form and 15 real soon.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 12:34 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't agree. I think we have some good players in some key positions - QB, WR, TE (yes, I'm sold on Kroft), DT, DE, LB, CB, P and K (yeah, I'm actually confident in Bullock) - that all we really need is better coaching (that's all?) and an improved OL and I think we're right back in the playoffs. 

With a major overhaul, firing the entire coaching staff, picking a new HC and letting him bring in his own staff. Releasing many players and totally rebuilding an O-line. 

I could see our good core still having enough left in the tank for a shot next season or even the following one.

BUT there's no way in H, E, double hockey sticks Mike Brown is going to do what's outlined at the top.

This team badly needs to hit the reset button, basically clean house ! Mikey doesn't do major changes, he barely does minor changes and then only after he absolutely must ! Like another poster put in his thread, we'll get lipstick on a pig. Oh he may not bring Marvin back ? (I'll be pretty shocked !) if he does let him go.

But he's not gonna allow the major moves needed.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 12:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Unless Son of Paul decides to open the purse strings and goes all in like Minnesota did this past offseason, we ain't fixing the mess up front for a few years.

My point is our window isn't slammed shut. But, that's predicated on Mike Brown not being Mike Brown, of course.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 01:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: With a major overhaul, firing the entire coaching staff, picking a new HC and letting him bring in his own staff. Releasing many players and totally rebuilding an O-line. 

I could see our good core still having enough left in the tank for a shot next season or even the following one.

BUT there's no way in H, E, double hockey sticks Mike Brown is going to do what's outlined at the top.

This team badly needs to hit the reset button, basically clean house ! Mikey doesn't do major changes, he barely does minor changes and then only after he absolutely must ! Like another poster put in his thread, we'll get lipstick on a pig. Oh he may not bring Marvin back ? (I'll be pretty shocked !) if he does let him go.

I agree completely. The good news is that, according to our very own Jim O., no coaches have a contract after this season. The bad news is that you know tha tno matter who Brown hires - even an outside guy - that most of our position coaches and at least 1 coordinator will probably be back next season.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 01:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I agree completely. The good news is that, according to our very own Jim O., no coaches have a contract after this season. The bad news is that you know tha tno matter who Brown hires - even an outside guy - that most of our position coaches and at least 1 coordinator will probably be back next season.

Agree, That's what I'm saying

If I had big money, which for the record I don't, really I don't even have little money but anyways. I'd be willing to bet there's no way on earth Mike Brown is gonna fire/release both Marvin Lewis and Paul Alexander !! 

I'd be shocked s$#%^ss if he does. We may get some window dressing, couple position coaches ? Fisher may not be retained or something ? (Hope the guy is ok BTW). 

Whoever's contract is up player wise might not be back. But he's not going in with a machete and doing what's necessary. Can't see it happening !

Free agency will be required, top line free agency to fix this O-line in time. Mike doesn't do free agency.
Reply/Quote

EVERY NFL Team...except the Browns have some solid players. People get seduced by thinking we have Green, Dunlap, Atkins into thinking our whole roster is great. Well 1st the 3 guys I mentioned are all free agents within 2 years.

We have A LOT of positions with Bad NFL Talent starting. THAT is important in the NFL. It's not a sport like the NBA where 1 or 2 stars carry a roster. In the NFL you only go as far as the bottom of your starting roster can take you.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 12:39 PM)bengals67 Wrote: They could have signed Whit to the same contract signed with Rams.

Precisely. Let Kirkpatrick go. Start Jackson and Jones with Dennard and Shaw playing.

Why didn't they know Jackson was good? Because last year they brought Peerman back off of IR instead of Jackson.

Keep Zeitler. Franchise Whitworth.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 12:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....not to mention, if they had only extended Zeitler when DeCastro got his deal (or before, would have been the smartest thing to do), they wouldn't have had to pay him what the Browns did to retain his services.

They offered him reportedly (by Lapham) $5.5 million a year. aka they low-balled him.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2017, 01:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: With a major overhaul, firing the entire coaching staff, picking a new HC and letting him bring in his own staff. Releasing many players and totally rebuilding an O-line. 

Well...Atkins, Dunlap, and Dennard are all free agents following next year.

Fixing the offensive line is critical and it's going to cost a lot of money via free agency. If we draft lineman in the 1st 3 Rounds...I doubt they all come in ready to start. It's going to be tough.
Reply/Quote