Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The 1/6 Indictment: Official vs Alter-Narratives
So I've read the 1/6 Indictment now and think maybe its discussion deserves a thread separate from the other indictments.
https://www.justice.gov/storage/US_v_Trump_23_cr_257.pdf

Overview: It appears that central to Trump's efforts to overturn the legal 2020 election was the creation of a Fox-style alternative narrative* about fraud to counter the official one created by states and their official ballot counters, and by the DOJ. I.e., create buzz and confusion and Tucker style questions about "what they aren't telling us"--then exploit the confusion in hopes of defrauding Americans of a legal election result.

This Alt-narrative was pushed not only in his tweets and television appearances, but especially through pressure on individual Republican governors, state officials and legislators in seven states. It included the construction of fake lists of electors, but also getting the fake electors to sign on under false pretenses. E.g., some thought their list/names would only be used in the event their own state courts ruled in favor of a Trump win. But the plan was to throw them before Pence on 1/6 and get Republican Congressmen to object to certification until states could verify which lists were valid, hopefully throwing the election to the House.

It also included pressure on the DOJ to announce, against its own findings, that there were many questions/problems with the election.

And finally, the calling of a mass of supporters to the Capitol on 1/6 to pressure the unwilling Pence to de-certify ballots from 7 states. 

Once you understand the narrative target, the Indictment becomes an easy read, tightly focused on the Alt-N elements. 

It identifies Trump, reaffirms his right to free speech, even to lie about election fraud, but draws the line at criminal activity. It then states the charges--conspiracy to defraud the U.S., conspiracy to obstruct certification, obstruction thereof, and conspiracy to defraud voters of their voting rights--lists 6 co-conspirators, and 1) presents efforts to corrupt election results in the primary states involved, beginning with Arizona. In each case Trump and minions pushed governors and state senate majority leaders and house speakers for announcements of corruption or "problems" and declarations the election was invalid. To a man they refused. Trump was repeatedly told no fraud was found, and then repeatedly tweeted and otherwise announced that it was. 2) The "Green Bay Sweep" follows from the failure of direct influence. The "fake electors" plot develops rapidly and draws at least 90 people into the fraud. Some knew it was fraud, a few were defrauded themselves (as mentioned above.).

Following that, the Indictment goes to 3) Trump's direct attempts to leverage the Justice Department into falsely claiming it has discovered "problems" with the election. E.g., it would involve itself in the fraudulent elector scheme, sending disinformation to each of the states in question. The final ploy was to have the DOJ declare the election fraudulent. When the acting director refused to, Trump wanted to appoint "coconspirator 4" (Gates) AG, but stopped only when he learned that would result in mass resignations. When CC4 was told the plan would have people rioting in every state, his response was "that's what the Insurrection Act is for." I.e., Trump would be declared winner and the military would put down any resistance.

The final two sections treat with the third leg of the fraud stool--4) efforts to coerce Pence into willingly de-certifying the election, and 5) the Capitol riot as a means of pressuring Pence and other lawmakers into de-certification.

Fox has been busy working up a Trump supportive alternative narrative too, in its initial stages a defense of Trump's free speech and claims no one will ever prove that that he didn't believe the election wasn't stolen. ("Wait till Trump gets to call his own witnesses!" lol) The goal is to prevent Trump from running again, etc. They may be underestimating the evidence and misreading Smith's angle of attack. E.g., if Trump receives a report from his own chief of staff that Cobb County Georgia elections are legitimate, and his response is to tweet that "terrible people" there are perpetuating fraud there, a jury might be little interested in whether Trump believed there was fraud or not--and think he was clearly perpetrating it himself.'

Anyway I am curious about what others think of the details of the indictment and the developing Fox alternative-narratives. (And I apolgize in advance for errors and omissions in the above summary.)

I'm thinking that as the charges are examined in court, the percentage of people who think the indictment serious and valid will rise. But I don't underestimate the power of alternative narratives. They've got half the country more interested in HB's laptop than in an attempt to overturn democracy.

*Alternative narratives of this sort resonate with and support one another. If you follow the Alt-N that the Russia investigation was a "hoax," as were the impeachments of Trump, then it is very easy to "see" how the deep state and liberal media and Venezuela could also upend a legitimate election, in deathly fear of the only incorruptible president who could actually "drain the swamp." The Trump "hate" trope separates investigation from fact throughout. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So this is an example of developing an alternative narrative:

Trump indictment won't fulfill Democrats' ineligibility bedtime story, Smith 'stretched law': Legal experts
https://www.foxnews.com/media/trump-indictment-wont-fulfill-democrats-ineligibility-bedtime-story-smith-stretched-law-legal-experts

"Not healthy for the country," says Watters. Also, he reads from the indictment and comments:

"Defendant impaired the government from functioning. Isn't that literally the Republican platform?. . . .
Is it a crime to ask Pence not to certify?"

So Watters is pretty witty, but it's still about "free speech" for him, while the indictment is about fraud, deceiving
Federal, state and party officials and the public, getting people to actually break laws.

The legal expert Jonathan Turley keeps repeating "nothing new here." We know about the phone call to the Georgia
secretary of state. Trump has a "right" to ask about votes. etc. Spreading false information is not a "criminal issue."
He asks if that is the "basis of this criminal conspiracy," when the indictment clearly says it is not.

Attorneys were advising Trump Pence could not de-certify the election, but others were advising that he could. 
Smith et al. are therefore about "criminalizing difference of opinion."  

But even on the free speech issue, there are problems: one question raised by the indictment is whether Trump has the right to convert his own people's reports of "no fraud" into "fraud" to convince others to engage in criminal activity--sometimes successfully. That is not discussed in this Fox segment.
Readers are basically told they have heard all this already. No more basis than the other "witch hunts." Other motives than law and fact at play here  . . . .

Seems to me the expectation is that the audience will not actually read the indictment. It will get its understanding from commentators framing of the issues and evidence, much as Barr did for the Mueller Report.
Reply/Quote
When the alternative narrative is believed by adults who then indoctrinate their children like this little girl.
https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1677870966511116288

Makes me question how many years the good ole USA has left in it. Especially if we let him off scot-free.

We all watched this play out in real time. And yet a decent percentage of this country still can’t comprehend it and are willing to flush America down the toilet and put him back in power because of their blind loyalty.
Reply/Quote
It is important to note that virtually every witness against Trump will be a Republican. His own Chief of Staff, Mark Meadows, is rumored to have flipped on him. Mike Pence will be a witness.
Right now the narrative is it’s a Democratic plot to take out Trump. It becomes a bit harder to keep that up when his own staff is testifying against him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If we're all lucky Trump will meet the same fate as The Greatest Man in the World, Jack "Pal" Smurch* who flew around the world in 1937 and was promptly pushed out of a window and forgotten.. When reporters went to get his life story from his mother when he was on the plane, she said, "Ah, the hell with him, I hope he drowns." 
Look up humorist James Thurber and The Greatest Man in the World..
You wanna know the best justice that's going to happen in the case is the judge was a former Public Defender..and doesn't suffer fools.. Personally I kind of hope Fawny Willis nails him and sends him to the Georgia State prison system..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 01:32 AM)pally Wrote: It is important to note that virtually every witness against Trump will be a Republican.  His own Chief of Staff, Mark Meadows, is rumored to have flipped on him. Mike Pence will be a witness.  
Right now the narrative is it’s a Democratic plot to take out Trump.  It becomes a bit harder to keep that up when his own staff is testifying against him

One thing I noticed reading the Indictment was the number of Republicans--even 2020 Trump voters--who refused to break the law.

Some were very eloquent about choosing the Constitution over party. 

Those guys were REALLY pressured to announce results contrary to actual findings. In every state. Pences' everywhere. 

I don't put Meadows in this class, but I did find this integrity surprising, given their willingness to vote for Trump in the first place.  
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 12:56 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: When the alternative narrative is believed by adults who then indoctrinate their children like this little girl.
https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1677870966511116288

Makes me question how many years the good ole USA has left in it. Especially if we let him off scot-free.

We all watched this play out in real time. And yet a decent percentage of this country still can’t comprehend it and are willing to flush America down the toilet and put him back in power because of their blind loyalty.

It's kind of a mystery. Surprising. Why do so many fail to notice the bad judgment, the borderline psychosis? 

This guy known for lying over decades has all these people believe him over "fake news." 
And people who claim not to be Trump supporters blame the media and "liberal elite"? 

Has there always been such a large number of people in the U.S. so ready to follow authoritarian leadership
and politics? And only now they have power because the internet enabled them to organize? 
Reply/Quote
Trump is charged under civil rights law used to prosecute KKK violence
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/08/01/trump-indictment-civil-rights-law/

Steven Cheung, a spokesman for the former president, cast the indictment as an attempt to interfere in the next presidential election, saying, “Why did they wait 2½ years to bring these fake charges, right in the middle of President Trump’s winning campaign for 2024?”

Initially wielded against the Klan for keeping newly emancipated Black people from exercising their right to vote, Section 241 has also been used to prosecute a wider range of election subversion, including threatening or intimidating voters, impersonating voters, destroying ballots and preventing the official count of ballots. It has also become a linchpin of broader civil rights enforcement, used to prosecute hate crimes and law enforcement misconduct. Derek Chauvin, the police officer who pressed his knee into George Floyd’s neck in Minneapolis, pleaded guilty in 2021 to violating a related statute, Section 242, which makes it a crime for public officials, acting in their official capacity, to deny a person’s constitutional rights.

Here is the statute
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.
Reply/Quote
BREAKING NEWS  . . . NOT related to HB's Latpop!!

I guess part of the worry here is that Trump may release names of witnesses.

I'm still astonished that Trump can do things like this and still walk free.

Another "free speech" issue?

DOJ asks judge to issue protective order after Trump posts apparent threat of revenge
https://www.npr.org/2023/08/05/1192336975/doj-asks-judge-issue-protective-order-after-trump-post

Prosecutors asked U.S. District Court Judge Tanya Chutkan to issue a protective order in the case a day after Trump pleaded not guilty to charges of trying to overturn his 2020 election loss and block the peaceful transition of power. The order — which is different from a so-called "gag order" — would limit what information Trump and his legal team could share publicly about the case brought by special counsel Jack Smith.
Such protective orders are common in criminal cases, but prosecutors said it's "particularly important in this case" because Trump has posted on social media about "witnesses, judges, attorneys, and others associated with legal matters pending against him."
Prosecutors pointed specifically to a post on Trump's Truth Social platform from earlier Friday in which Trump wrote, in all capital letters, "If you go after me, I'm coming after you!"
Prosecutors said they are ready to hand over a "substantial" amount of evidence — "much of which includes sensitive and confidential information" — to Trump's legal team.
They told the judge that if Trump were to begin posting about grand jury transcripts or other evidence provided by the Justice Department, it could have a "harmful chilling effect on witnesses or adversely affect the fair administration of justice in this case."

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

In his rally last night Trump again likened the U.S. to a 3rd world country--NOT because he attempted a coup,
but because he is being held accountable for it, framed now as "Election interference."
Reply/Quote