Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
The 2005 team
I’m not even a Bengals fan but I believe that team was a Super Bowl team that could have won it all had they got there and if Palmer didn’t get hurt. I think you could say they we’re just as good as the 2021 team. What do you guys think?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 05:10 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I’m not even a Bengals fan but I believe that team was a Super Bowl team that could have won it all had they got there and if Palmer didn’t get hurt. I think you could say they we’re just as good as the 2021 team. What do you guys think?

The '05 Offense was as good as the '21 Offense. Not the D. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 05:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The '05 Offense was as good as the '21 Offense. Not the D. 

Your D in 2005 was awesome! I thought that’s the year you guys had like 25 picks on the year?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 05:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The '05 Offense was as good as the '21 Offense. Not the D. 

Not even close. 

The line in '05 was also much, much, much better, so that kind of throws off that comparison.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 05:20 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not even close. 

The line in '05 was also much, much, much better, so that kind of throws off that comparison.

I think the 2005 team only had 17 sacks on the year.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 05:10 PM)packerbacker Wrote: I’m not even a Bengals fan but I believe that team was a Super Bowl team that could have won it all had they got there and if Palmer didn’t get hurt. I think you could say they we’re just as good as the 2021 team. What do you guys think?

The offensive line on the 05 team was one of the better ones in the league.  They also had a great backfield, I would say better than the one we have now.  Even Jeremy Johnson had his moments, and Chris Perry was electric when healthy.  

If you think the current staff places a minimal value on TEs, then I'd like to introduce you to Reggie Kelly and Matt Schoebel.  Kelly was a terrific blocker, but was not a regular option as a pass target.  In his defense, he did make some tough catches.  

The bias that the present success brings makes it tough to argue, but that passing game was absolutely lethal.  Palmer was not yet damaged goods and he had a line that protected him well.  He also had a run game that teams had to respect.  Bookend tackles, a solid vet center, a rising star at LG, and arguably Marvin's best ever FA acquisition in Bobbie Williams made Carson and Rudi's lives easy.  

Carson is such a lightning rod for this fanbase, but there wasn't a single Bengal fan that didn't think he was going to be competing with Manning and Brady for the rest of his career in terms of the numbers he could put up.  He was a big dude with a huge arm, and he was extremely accurate deep before he got banged up.  The human jugs machine didn't have the "dog" in him that Joey B does, but he was off the charts in terms of physical attributes.  

The receiving corps needs no introduction.  I think the current one is better, as there really was no Higgins in that group.  TJ did what Boyd does, arguably better over the middle.  Chad had the quickest feet in the league.  I'm not sure he had the field awareness that Chase does, as Ja'marr moves around a lot.  See his Buffalo TD in the playoff that he basically improvised.  I don't think Chad was AS scary in terms of YAC, either.  He just burned corners deep a lot.  Chase changed the way defenses play this team after getting past 5 and 6 guys within arms reach against KC and Baltimore.  Again, there was no Tee on that team.  Henry was a tall, lean deep threat and he was great at high pointing the ball, Tee is much more powerfully built.  He's a lot more than just a deep threat.  He makes catches anywhere you ask him to, and he's built to absorb a lot more punishment (and dish it out, too) than 15 was.  

Honestly, that team probably had more success leaning on it's offense than this one.  You see sheer dominance in spurts from this group, but in many games they seem to be operating below their highest gear.  I attribute this to the run game and OL.  The current group also had a defense that did a hell of a job holding down slim leads late.  The 05 defense would get takeaways, but they couldn't stop the run for shit.  It was painful to watch sometimes.  The safety play was some of the worst in Bengal history.  It wasn't a great DL at all, as they didn't seem to put a big priority on the position group until later in the Marvin era.  

The Taylor-Burrow era has a much better culture and staff.  They have a better on-field leader.  They build the roster better.  
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 05:17 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Your D in 2005 was awesome! I thought that’s the year you guys had like 25 picks on the year?

I'm going to say a name that's going to get me in trouble here.  Ifeyani Ohalete.  Look it up.  We don't like to bring him up, as it creates a lot of PTSD.
Reply/Quote
I just don't think the 05 team was capable of getting the pressure you needed to beat manning. If they wouldn't have had to face him then I think they could've won it all.
Reply/Quote

Not sure, I believe 2015 was a better team overall and if Daltom does get injured we're on target for SB run. We will never know , this team now has been interesting, strong offensiv and even better defense during playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 05:52 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not sure, I believe 2015 was a better team overall and if Daltom does get injured we're on target for SB run. We will never know , this team now has been interesting, strong offensiv and even better defense during playoffs.

How good was the Defense in 2015?
Reply/Quote

The 05 team was dangerous, still mad about that hit. We were easily the most dominant team. Offense was lethal, D was a turnover machine. I have no doubt what so ever tgat we would have won it all that year. Still hurts.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 06:04 PM)packerbacker Wrote: How good was the Defense in 2015?

Solid most rankings put them in 8 to 13 range
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 06:41 PM)TKUHL Wrote: The 05 team was dangerous, still mad about that hit. We were easily the most dominant team. Offense was lethal, D was a turnover machine. I have no doubt what so ever tgat we would have won it all that year. Still hurts.

I was pulling for you guys to go the distance that year. That loss hurt for me as well.
Reply/Quote

The defense was a high risk, high reward D. Would have been difficult to keep up with the other high powered offenses in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote

Had Palmer not gotten injured, it may have been a different story.  However, the only path to greatness I could have seen for that particular team would have been to jump out to a sizeable lead, put the opponent into pass-first mode, and allow an opportunistic secondary to take advantage of some unforced errors.  That '05 team was good, but not built to prevail in a defensive slugfest by any stretch.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

If i remember wasn’t the D like not that good yardage wise but they had an insane number of picks which made them look good.

I wanna say that was Delta O’Neal, and Tory James year they both went insane.

If that’s the year i remember we would’ve lost to New England anyway.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
That team was part of the 3 decade lineage of teams that couldn't make the playoffs or win a game when they got there. It's silly to think that team goes all the way had Palmer not gotten hurt. They'd lost to the Colts at home and the Bengals had no answer for Peyton Manning for the overwhelming majority of his career.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 08:40 PM)jason Wrote: That team was part of the 3 decade lineage of teams that couldn't make the playoffs or win a game when they got there. It's silly to think that team goes all the way had Palmer not gotten hurt. They'd lost to the Colts at home and the Bengals had no answer for Peyton Manning for the overwhelming majority of his career.

Ironically of the Denver, Indy, New England trio that was left, id rather had faced the Manning Colts. We didnt have the grit to beat NE or Denver. At least VS Manning that would've been 2 finesse teams going at it. Brady and Belicheck would've embarrassed our shit. The defense basically lived off turnovers. I have a hard time believing Brady wouldve threw a pick against us.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 05:39 PM)samhain Wrote: Chad had the quickest feet in the league.  I'm not sure he had the field awareness that Chase does, as Ja'marr moves around a lot.  See his Buffalo TD in the playoff that he basically improvised.  I don't think Chad was AS scary in terms of YAC, either.  He just burned corners deep a lot.  Chase changed the way defenses play this team after getting past 5 and 6 guys within arms reach against KC and Baltimore.

I said this with AJ Green, and I will say this with Chase until he reaches the next level. Chad is by far the best WR the Bengals have ever had. Chad had a 3 year stretch in '05-'07 where he was the best WR in the NFL. He also remains the only Bengals WR to ever be 1st Team All-Pro (I think Chase has a pretty good chance at becoming the next).

Chad did it while people were able to absolutely murder WRs, in a division with some all-time great defenders on perennially great defenses. Can never sleep on how great he was.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2023, 05:17 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Your D in 2005 was awesome! I thought that’s the year you guys had like 25 picks on the year?

Trey Hendrickson > Justin Smith (as a 4-3 DE)
Larry Ogenjobi > Jonathan Fanene
DJ Reader > John Thornton
Sam Hubbard < Robert Geathers
Logan Wilson > Landon Johnson
Germaine Pratt < Odell Thurman
Chi Awuzie = Deltha O'Neal
Eli Apple < Tory James
Mike Hilton > Kiewan Ratliff
Jessie Bates > Kevin Kaesviharn
Vonn Bell >Ifeanyi Ohalete
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]