Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2016 Offensive Line
The Giants defensive line was the worst at generating sacks coming into this game. We made them look like the 85 Bears in the second half. Nothing cures a struggling pass rush like playing the Bengals OL!
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 10:39 AM)jj22 Wrote: Worse news is after going heavy on offensive line in 2015 (and blowing the picks), we'll have to go heavy on the line once again early and ignore pass rush and safety.

Right, I'm done with this "bargain" drafting technique, as it surely isn't paying off in production dividends.  I'd much rather that they drafted one top notch OL, and another mid round to develop.

(11-15-2016, 11:41 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Same thing with the secondary invested 3 first round picks at corner back and we still stink. I pray to god that the William Jackson III pick pans out.

With the OL picks, at least they knew that Ogbuehi was injured, damaged goods, and they took him anyway...  However, with the CBs, who was to know that those guys would be injury plagued?

However, one common theme is showing, we have drafted a lot of players in high slots, and they continue to not live up to their draft status.  Some of that has to fall on coaching, as coaches are ultimately responsible for players development.  Who picks the coaches?  With most teams, the HC gets to pretty much select his staff.  With the Bengals, the HC is given a staff to work with.  Most NFL teams also have a pretty extensive scouting department that works in coordination with the GM to identify talent that will improve the team and fit seamlessly into the schemes that they run.  With the Bengals, we have a quite limited scouting department, and an ownership that tries to constantly dabble in personnel decisions.

The ownership also rewards loyalty (read as, towing company policy line) to a fault.  They figure as long as the product appears to be competitive, fans will fill seats, and they generate a profit.  Building a Championship team requires hiring good management, and allowing them to do their jobs.  Until the Bengal family management team realizes this, nothing will change.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Unbelievable really, a year after we go back to back OT's in the first 2 rounds of the draft, we end up with this Offensive Line. When you heavily invest in a position in the draft, you'd expect it to become a position of strength....

Quite the opposite. I think I was fortunate enough to see this Lines best performance when they played at Wembley. They weren't an obvious weakness as far as I could see in that game. Watched the majority of the rest of our season though, and you can almost chalk up 90% of our bad plays due to poor OL play. Honestly just a terrible unit, amazing fall from grace.
Reply/Quote
Rep OP

This is without a doubt the worst O-line to take the field for the Bengals in years, maybe ever. Paul Alexander is way past his prime and has to go - period !
Reply/Quote
So what? When they were good we didn't do nuthin.
Reply/Quote
I understand the frustrations about the offensive line, but if we draft new players would we be in the same situation? Are we depending on some rookies to come in and turn our line around? This draft isn't THAT great with can't miss oline prospects, so what gives? I believe a new oline coach would be a breath of fresh air and would re-energize our guys.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 12:11 AM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: I understand the frustrations about the offensive line, but if we draft new players would we be in the same situation? Are we depending on some rookies to come in and turn our line around? This draft isn't THAT great with can't miss oline prospects, so what gives? I believe a new oline coach would be a breath of fresh air and would re-energize our guys.

That's the ticket!  +1
Reply/Quote
As much as i hate it, there's probably no way around this team needing to draft an OL or 2 really early. Zeitler isn't worth 9 or 10 mil, so I don't blame them if they cut ties. Without a miraculous emergence from Ogbuehi or Fisher between now and January, they'd be crazy to go into 2017 depending on these guys to protect Andy. A top notch WR and TE will be wasted if he can't get time to throw to them.

It's causing his play to deteriorate as well. He's running scared and reverting to making some of the mistakes we thought he eliminated last year because he just can't trust these clowns up front.

I hate it, b/c I always want this team to draft help in the front 7, and this time they really need it. However, I'm warming up to the idea of grabbing OL right out of the gate in 1 and 2. Get Cam Robinson, a guy who most regard as a player who can get it done at RT immediately, then get Pat Elfein in round two to play RG or C. Spend money on the front 7 in FA after losing Peko, Dansby, Zeitler, and Hunt's deals and cutting Rey M.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 10:54 AM)samhain Wrote: As much as i hate it, there's probably no way around this team needing to draft an OL or 2 really early.  Zeitler isn't worth 9 or 10 mil, so I don't blame them if they cut ties.  Without a miraculous emergence from Ogbuehi or Fisher between now and January, they'd be crazy to go into 2017 depending on these guys to protect Andy.  A top notch WR and TE will be wasted if he can't get time to throw to them.  

It's causing his play to deteriorate as well.  He's running scared and reverting to making some of the mistakes we thought he eliminated last year because he just can't trust these clowns up front.  

I hate it, b/c I always want this team to draft help in the front 7, and this time they really need it.  However, I'm warming up to the idea of grabbing OL right out of the gate in 1 and 2.  Get Cam Robinson, a guy who most regard as a player who can get it done at RT immediately, then get Pat Elfein in round two to play RG or C.  Spend money on the front 7 in FA after losing Peko, Dansby, Zeitler, and Hunt's deals and cutting Rey M.

......ain't gonna see that from anyone until we change the blocking technique.....which would require the dismissal of Mike's free dinner party entertainment.....which leads us back to ain't gonna see it. Also, honestly, aside from the bad throw for the INT, I haven't seen much bad from Dalton.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 11:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: ......ain't gonna see that from anyone until we change the blocking technique.....which would require the dismissal of Mike's free dinner party entertainment.....which leads us back to ain't gonna see it.  Also, honestly, aside from the bad throw for the INT, I haven't seen much bad from Dalton.

Anybody that says Andy is the problem needs their head examined ! For real

Sadly, Andy probably will as well before this season is over.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 10:36 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Fischer, Bodine, and Ogbuehi were supposed to do just that.  Hand picked drafts by the Maestro himself.  He can't even coach up the guys HE WANTS. :paul:
Alexander has some good nicknames. His players needs some. Who should be known as el Matador?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 11:24 AM)jason Wrote: Alexander has some good nicknames. His players needs some. Who should be known as el Matador?

No brainer blood.....Ogbuehi.  Used to be Nate Livings.... Smirk

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 11:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: ......ain't gonna see that from anyone until we change the blocking technique.....which would require the dismissal of Mike's free dinner party entertainment.....which leads us back to ain't gonna see it. 

From 2015

http://www.si.com/vault/2016/02/11/lay-it-line

Since 2007, when the stat was first kept, the Bengals rank first in PFF's pass-blocking-efficiency statistic ("a rating that reflects the most efficient pass blockers on a per-pass-blocking snap basis") at 84.1%. The league average is 79.5%. And Cincinnati has been remarkably consistent year to year, ranking outside the top six of that stat just once.

From 2016

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/06/07/best-nfl-coaches-paul-alexander-bengals

Cincinnati’s line under Alexander has ranked among the top 10 in fewest sacks allowed totals in four of the last five NFL seasons,  and it set franchise records for low quarterback takedowns in two different seasons before that. Alexander has gotten the job done with his front five through multiple personnel shifts, injuries, coaching philosophies, and schematic shifts in the league. At this point, he should be talked about in the same breath as legendary line coaches like Howard Mudd and Alex Gibbs. 
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From 2015

http://www.si.com/vault/2016/02/11/lay-it-line

Since 2007, when the stat was first kept, the Bengals rank first in PFF's pass-blocking-efficiency statistic ("a rating that reflects the most efficient pass blockers on a per-pass-blocking snap basis") at 84.1%. The league average is 79.5%. And Cincinnati has been remarkably consistent year to year, ranking outside the top six of that stat just once.

From 2016

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/06/07/best-nfl-coaches-paul-alexander-bengals

Cincinnati’s line under Alexander has ranked among the top 10 in fewest sacks allowed totals in four of the last five NFL seasons,  and it set franchise records for low quarterback takedowns in two different seasons before that. Alexander has gotten the job done with his front five through multiple personnel shifts, injuries, coaching philosophies, and schematic shifts in the league. At this point, he should be talked about in the same breath as legendary line coaches like Howard Mudd and Alex Gibbs. 

So.....how are those run game numbers for the last....oh, say, 12 years looking freddy?  How's that sack total and pass pro efficiency looking these days?  Ah the benefit of cherry picking numbers instead of looking at the big picture and play on the field.  Even Mathis said his technique was screwed up in Cincy.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 02:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: So.....how are those run game numbers for the last....oh, say, 12 years looking freddy?  How's that sack total and pass pro efficiency looking these days?  Ah the benefit of cherry picking numbers instead of looking at the big picture and play on the field.  Even Mathis said his technique was screwed up in Cincy.

So let me get this straight.  I am supposed to look at the rush game numbers over the last 12 years in order to get the "big picture" but then ignore all the pass protection numbers except for this year.  Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Rolleyes

And Evan Mathis was a scrub when we signed him, but when Paul Alexander started coaching him he suddenly became one of the highest rated OGs in the league in '09.  So how is it possible that his technique was screwed up in Cincinnati?  In fact I never heard him say that.  Do you have a link?
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 03:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So let me get this straight.  I am supposed to look at the rush game numbers over the last 12 years in order to get the "big picture" but then ignore all the pass protection numbers except for this year.  Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Rolleyes

And Evan Mathis was a scrub when we signed him, but when Paul Alexander started coaching him he suddenly became one of the highest rated OGs in the league in '09.  So how is it possible that his technique was screwed up in Cincinnati?  In fact I never heard him say that.  Do you have a link?
Yep, that's exactly what I meant.....that's why instead of combining the two separate thoughts into one sentence, I made two distinct sentences to create confusion. Rolleyes 
He said something to the effect that the power blocking scheme in Philly....you know....where he went on to be an ALL PRO instead of riding the pine HERE.....suited him much better than allowing the defender to come to him.  It's in this very forum somewhere......take a look, you obviously have time on your hands, or are those two whole endorsements for Billy Joel you have on cue?

Reply/Quote
2017-18 Offensive Line

1. Billy from Golden Corral 5'8 330 pounds
2. Timmy from Burger King 6-2 400
3. Whitworth
4. Russel Bodine
5. Ralph from Jolly Pirate Donuts 5-9 375
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 03:25 PM)740Bengal Wrote: 2017-18 Offensive Line

1. Billy from Golden Corral 5'8 330 pounds
2. Timmy from Burger King 6-2  400
3. Whitworth
4. Russel Bodine
5. Ralph from Jolly Pirate Donuts 5-9  375

Hey, as long as they keep their splits tight, they should at least slow the DL down a step.. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/16/mike-zimmer-vows-to-get-back-to-doing-things-my-way-which-implies-plenty/

A coach calls out his O-Line ... shame it isn't Marvin .. oh hang on a minute he could have been our HC if we had an owner with some balls.
Reply/Quote
WHY CAN'T THE BENGALS JUST FIND ANOTHER WILLIE ANDERSON AND LEVI JONES?!?! Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote