Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2019 Draft is contributing what exactly?
(10-02-2019, 11:12 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Hey drew sample was the best blocking tight end available! Think how much he will help our offensive line and the screen pass if we ever get it to mixon

might have been a prefect pick if we ever played a 2 te set...
Reply/Quote
Your tone on Jonah is negative, which is completely unfair to him. Give him a chance before you lump him in the group with every other bad OL pick.

Anderson was a great pick, just got hurt. He’s extremely talented.

Every other pick who’s played in regular season games? BAD. I feel confident in grading them now.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 10:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Weather I think so or not, means nothing.  A football team is like a family, a certain group dynamic controls the attitude and tempo of the entity.  At one point, this team will remember their professional pride, and decide that they have had enough of the free fall.  They will likely regroup, and show some sort of renewed enthusiasm, and yes, likely win a few games.

Lord knows that the OL could use one of those "pride or die" type of meetings, and the defense as well.  It will happen, as soon as our rookie coach decides that he's had enough, and realizes that it's time to take a different approach.

So yes, I do think that some things are going to change over the next 12 weeks.  Do I think that this team will transform into an unstoppable force?  Hell no.  Do I think that they will figure out who's here to play and who's just along for the ride?  Most definitely.

Well, I certainly can't disagree with the pride thing.

We do have several winless teams still on our schedule in the Jets, Dolphins and Cardinals. As we found out Monday night, there are different levels of winlessness.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
This thread is valid. IF you're not going to sign impact free agents, then you need guys through the draft who can make an impact Day 1.

We've had none.

Now, IF Jonah was healthy, one would expect him to be a starter and hopefully atleast playing decent. But, yeah the Sample pick appears to be really bad. Especially when I see other rookie TE's producing.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 08:09 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Yes.

Certainly outside of the first two rounds - and our first round pick is unavailable due to injury - I wouldn't be expecting rookies to start weeks 1-4. 

For rounds 3 and below in weeks 1-4 I'd expect to see growing pains in whatever limited actions they see. Weeks 5-12 I'd expect to see signs of improvement amidst the inconsistent play. Weeks 13-16 I'd hope to see them display greater consistency in an increased role.

You build through the draft, but it's not an immediate fix with the later rounds as you are essentially drafting players to groom to become starters in years 2 and 3.

As to which players develop, that remains to be seen. It's unlikely that they all will but it's equally unlikely that none of them will. How this draft crop develops for the rest of the season is  probably the single most important factor for determining the Bengals' future. If they develop under the coaching staff it will give Coach Taylor the authority to make more big calls when it comes to personnel (Free agent signings! Trades!). If they flop it's unlikely that the Front Office will give Coach Taylor license to make the Franchise changing overhaul that is needed.

No Bengals coach that I can recall, other than Paul Brown, had that kind of power as Bengals HC. Marvin Lewis certainly didn't, he had input but the decision rested with Mike Brown.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 10:23 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This thread is valid. IF you're not going to sign impact free agents, then you need guys through the draft who can make an impact Day 1.

We've had none.

Now, IF Jonah was healthy, one would expect him to be a starter and hopefully atleast playing decent. But, yeah the Sample pick appears to be really bad. Especially when I see other rookie TE's producing.

Boyd, for example, was a good 2nd round pick. He put 600 receiving yards as a rookie. Mixon was another, so was Bates.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 10:32 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Boyd, for example, was a good 2nd round pick. He put 600 receiving yards as a rookie. Mixon was another, so was Bates.

Yep. With a roster this bad, rookies should contribute.

I feel our coaching staff was way better at preparing guys in years past though.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 10:29 AM)BengalChris Wrote: No Bengals coach that I can recall, other than Paul Brown, had that kind of power as Bengals HC. Marvin Lewis certainly didn't, he had input but the decision rested with Mike Brown.

Maybe trust is a better word.

The more Taylor is vindicated in the draft, the more sway he'll have with Mike Brown (and Katie Blackburn).
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 09:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Man, it's too early for this shit. At least wait for the offseason to arrive.. Mellow

Are you surprised? One week into camp some here were trashing Finley because he was struggling in practice... Now some are calling for him to be the starter moving forward.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:17 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Lol. Yes that’s usually the case. But argue the Sample pick n on draft day weekend you’ll be tar n feathered. I thought it was the worst pick ever but what do I know. I’m just a fan.

Some people don’t get that if you criticize something that it doesn’t make you a hater. Oh well.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:29 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Some people don’t get that if you criticize something that it doesn’t make you a hater. Oh well.

And people that call the people who criticize 'haters'...are criticizing themselves.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 09:48 AM)grampahol Wrote: You'd be a real fan if you squandered boatloads of cash to erect a Bengals man cave complete with a genuine, authentic autographed poster of Mikey in his golf cart.  I bet you never even considered getting one of them now didja? 
By the way..a REAL cave carved from REAL stone from the center of the earth.. None of that mere spare bedroom or empty part  of a garage mancave nonsense..

I’ll have to build up slowly. I did pause reading this to order the MB poster, so I’m now on my way!
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And people that call the people who criticize 'haters'...are criticizing themselves.

Yep. I’m just curious as to why people graded the draft as an A. Did they actually see something or was it purely emotional? The team should be stacked because every year the Bengals fans grade the draft an A.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:48 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Yep. I’m just curious as to why people graded the draft as an A. Did they actually see something or was it purely emotional? The team should be stacked because every year the Bengals fans grade the draft an A.

At the time of the draft, people on the board generally think we did well. That's the thing with college players, their book is unwritten. You can see Pratt as a speedy starting LB from Day 1. Or Sample as an underutilized pass catching TE who can block great.

Jonah was a bit of luck that he fell to us...but I saw Devin Bush listed as the 3rd best rookie defensive player. He would have helped too.

No matter how bad we are, there are people who think we landed 4-5 starters in any draft. Objectively if you look back on our drafts...we're lucky if we land 1 quality starter.

When we were really good, we landed 2-3 quality guys and we did that several years in a row. It's basically the only way this model can work.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:23 PM)jason Wrote: Are you surprised? One week into camp some here were trashing Finley because he was struggling in practice... Now some are calling for him to be the starter moving forward.

No, not surprised at all.  In fact, I'm all for people making legitimate complaints about the team, and offering their take on feasible solutions.  It's just that several just seem to just like to throw out some random crap, and hope that others will jump on board with some half-baked idea.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And people that call the people who criticize 'haters'...are criticizing themselves.

It's the never ending circle of hate...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 03:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No, not surprised at all.  In fact, I'm all for people making legitimate complaints about the team, and offering their take on feasible solutions.  It's just that several just seem to just like to throw out some random crap, and hope that others will jump on board with some half-baked idea.

Really aren't there some on both sides that do that?

Re: Taylor - He had something like the 123rd ranked offense out of 128 at UC. Then at Miami, when he took over for Lazor, the offense actually got worse. So there's statistics that backup him being a bad or mediocre OC. Yet people will talk about how innovative he is.

Or getting behind the Sample pick. Sample was actually surprised he got drafted in the 2nd Round. I read this. It's out there. Yet fans got all excited about the pick.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 04:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really aren't there some on both sides that do that?

Re: Taylor - He had something like the 123rd ranked offense out of 128 at UC. Then at Miami, when he took over for Lazor, the offense actually got worse. So there's statistics that backup him being a bad or mediocre OC. Yet people will talk about how innovative he is.

Or getting behind the Sample pick. Sample was actually surprised he got drafted in the 2nd Round. I read this. It's out there. Yet fans got all excited about the pick.

Well, I didn't name any names or cleverly allude toward any specific member on purpose, as my aim wasn't to single anyone out or for any members to feel pressured in any way.  I was just stating my opinion.

FWIW, I don't consider you one of the people who just "randomly throws some shit out there"..   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I still laugh thinking about all the blind homers that graded this draft as an A or an A+. Nate, NKURyan stick out...there were many others.

This draft was a colossal failure, even if Jonah pans out.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 04:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, I didn't name any names or cleverly allude toward any specific member on purpose, as my aim wasn't to single anyone out or for any members to feel pressured in any way.  I was just stating my opinion.

FWIW, I don't consider you one of the people who just "randomly throws some shit out there"..   LOL

I didn't take offense at that part. Me and you actually interact very well.

My point was that some people post irrational negative things, but there's also a lot of off the wall positive things that aren't based in reality. It kind of goes both ways.
Reply/Quote