Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2021 Draft for the Bengals
First pick:

Ja' Marr Chase
. Started off rough in camp and preseason, but has since lit the league on fire with 11 receptions for 220 yards and 4 TDs. There is that stat line of one rush for -2 yards, though, so the Sewell crowd still has a few last gasps but they are on life support.

Jackson Carman.
He wasn't in the best condition. He was panned for some of his play in the preseason and wasn't going to "just be handed a job". The kid just kept quiet, worked extra after practice, and got his chance against one of the best defenses in the league. The result? PFF said 19 pass protection snaps, 0 sacks, 0 pressures. I haven't broke down the run blocking snaps, but what I saw showed him getting to his spots and moving guys. Maybe we were a bit hard on a guy that was coming off herniated disc surgery (that he played through for his final 5 college games to try and win a championship) that prevented him from participating in Clemson's Pro Day and causing his stock to fall. The future at RG looks bright.

Joseph Ossai.
A monster in very limited action before season-ending surgery.

Cam Sample. The injury to Ossai has opened the door for Sample to get some snaps. Got his first bacon yesterday (sack of the pig). Dude isn't an outside speed threat, but he has shown the common thread on this defense: relentless.

Tyler Shelvin.
No NFL snaps yet, but shows promise as a developmental DT in the middle. Great that he doesn't have to come in and start right away. There simply aren't that many men his size that have that kind of anchor.

D'Ante Smith.
Developmental OT that so impressed coaches that he was pushing for playing time at guard before a minor injury setback. I am not sure the word on Reiff as of right now, but I wonder if we won't see him at RT over Prince.

Evan McPherson.
Legs Benedict. Mcfearless. McMoney. Whatever you call him, he has already helped win one game, and we saw the aggression at the end of the first half to try and get him in range (AFTER already getting a last minute TD!). Sliding back in the 2nd to gain the two additional 4th round picks may have been what afforded the Bengals to draft a kicker so early, one could argue, but for whatever the reason, Evan Almighty has been a massive upgrade at the kicker position.

Trey Hill. They kept him on the 53 man roster and felt strongly enough about him to fleece the Giants, I mean trade Billy Price to the Giants for BJ HIll, who got another sack yesterday.

Chris Evans.
Starting to get eased in to the game plan, and has shown he belongs. That shallow crosser that Burrow led him on (perfectly) was a thing of beauty. a steal in the 6th round.

Wyatt Hubert. Versatile pass rusher that was injured early and is on the practice squad.

That is five guys that have already had a significant impact on this year's team on the field (remember, you only start with 7 picks) and I strongly believe that Smith and Shelvin will likely see the field this season as well. Ossai will be back next year, and Hill will provide quality depth behind Hopkins.

A pessimist could talk about the prior year's draft and what a bust Sample has been, the trading up for Ryan Finley, etc, but this draft shows great promise and I love how all the pieces are fitting together. Also, look how ADG and Wilson are showing now because they got valuable playing time their rookie seasons.

I absolutely love the way this team has been constructed and if the offense really starts to find their form to match this defense, watch out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can't argue anything here. Time will tell with the guys who haven't played yet, but so far it appears that they'll all get in on the action at some point. I still say that I'd hate to have to be the guy who has to predict the futures of these young men simply because so many variables are involved every time. It kind of feels like Tobin and company are due for another really bad draft since they've had a couple of pretty darn good ones in a row now. I dunno though..maybe the moon really did come over the mountain and they've seen the light. 
Nahhh..just shitluck.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I think it's way too early to judge anyone other than Chase. He looks like the real deal. I have high hopes for some of those guys on the list but it's just not possible to judge guys like Carman and Ossai after they have had a total of 1 NFL game under their belt between them.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think it's way too early to judge anyone other than Chase. He looks like the real deal. I have high hopes for some of those guys on the list but it's just not possible to judge guys like Carman and Ossai after they have had a total of 1 NFL game under their belt between them.

Give em 6 months and I'm sure there will be a few people here telling us how terrible this draft was..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think it's way too early to judge anyone other than Chase. He looks like the real deal. I have high hopes for some of those guys on the list but it's just not possible to judge guys like Carman and Ossai after they have had a total of 1 NFL game under their belt between them.

Understand your point, but these guys are getting (Ossai obviously isn't) significant playing time as rookies and making an impact on this year's team.  We didn't see a lot to love last year with Wilson and ADG, for example, but we are now seeing how valuable this experience can be for these young players.
Reply/Quote

This.

I am really high on Ossai's potential.  And Smith blew my mind by showing up ready to contribute this year.  I liked the pick but had pretty much figured that 2021 would be "redshirt year" for D'Ante.

So I see a ton of "potential" but still way too early for a final judgement on them (except Chase and McPherson).
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 11:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

I am really high on Ossai's potential.  And Smith blew my mind by showing up ready to contribute this year.  I liked the pick but had pretty much figured that 2021 would be "redshirt year" for D'Ante.

So I see a ton of "potential" but still way too early for a final judgement on them (except Chase and McPherson).

The fact that Carman, Sample, and Evans all contributed yesterday to the win AS ROOKIES is big considering how long the Bengals went without giving much playing time to their rookies except for maybe their first round picks.  

Smith is the only potential starter of that group that hasn't had NFL action yet (aside from the injured Ossai) and I think his time will come.  
Reply/Quote
Remember last year’s draft gave us Burrow, Tee, ADG, Wilson, Bailey and Adeniji who all are still with us. All but Bailey and Adeniji have contributed positively. So at this point it looks like we hit on 4 picks last year to go with what looks a like hitting on at least 6 hits this last year. Drafting seems to be improving!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 09:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: First pick:  

Ja' Marr Chase
.  Started off rough in camp and preseason, but has since lit the league on fire with 11 receptions for 220 yards and 4 TDs.  

The most impressive thing about chase for me is what he's been able to do with his fairly low amount of receptions. If the Bengals were a more high volume pass offense he could realistically be leading the league in yards and tds. 
Reply/Quote
It's not just solid draft scouting but also NFL scouting. Their Free Agents have all been very solid DJ Reader Larry Ogunjobi Chibidoe Awuzie Mike Hilton Quinton Spain BJ Hill (trade). Really the only one you can consider a miss would be Trae Waynes and that's been injuries which were a surprise considering he barely missed time in Minnesota.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 01:55 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: The most impressive thing about chase for me is what he's been able to do with his fairly low amount of receptions. If the Bengals were a more high volume pass offense he could realistically be leading the league in yards and tds. 

I think a large part of what they are doing with him is opening things up underneath.  Single cover him at your peril, and he draws the safeties as well.  

I would like to see him on some screens and end-arounds as well as they continue to open things up.  Hopefully, Tee will be back soon and they can be off and running.  
Reply/Quote
There is no doubt that the last two drafts for the Bengals appear to be very good. Even with Ossai's injury.

Everyone from 2020 is still with us. Burrow, Higgins, and Wilson are looking like studs and ADG a quality backup.

Everyone from 2021 is still with us. Chase & McPherson are pooking like studs, as was Ossai before the injury. Carman looked just fine to me (no matter what PFF says). Sample & Evans both contributed.

Now, ZT had to turn the roster over, as Marvin left the cupboard bare. And Turner's OL guys will mostly go now.
Reply/Quote