Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 2022 Draft
Now that the season is over. What do you think of the Bengals 2022 draft? What grade would you give? What players surprised?

I'll be first to comment: A bit of a disappointment Dax Hill -- But I do believe he just needs more reps and he'll long-term be solid

A surprise: Zack Carter -- Solid and better than many people thought. Cam Britt-Taylor is another who (for a rookie) has stepped into a starter's role and played decently.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Obviously way to early to determine either way, but we got significant contributions from Volson and CTB, so that’s a win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 01:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Obviously way to early to determine either way, but we got significant contributions from Volson and CTB, so that’s a win.

Yes.  Volson has been a pleasant surprise as well.  He misses some blocks, but he'll grow and he's understanding his role better and better.  
Reply/Quote
Ossai (I know he's not 2022 draft but it feels that way!) has been a beast at times. He's given Henderickson and Hubbard much needed rests and has come through in big time situations. I'm reallllllly liking what I see from him.
Reply/Quote
Honestly I’m not sure if people should be giving Hill a rough grade. I think he’s the future at FS, but I was hoping he would have made a few plays similar to his preseason play. He looked like a man amongst boys
Reply/Quote
There's really been just one from the 22 draft who hasn't contributed much at all and he began the season injured with a nasty hamstring injury. Tycen Anderson and we still don't know how he'll pan out. Pretty much top to bottom they've all contributed some more than others, but there doesn't appear to be any duds this far.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 01:17 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Honestly I’m not sure if people should be giving Hill a rough grade. I think he’s the future at FS, but I was hoping he would have made a few plays similar to his preseason play. He looked like a man amongst boys

I never liked the Hill pick, but he has not looked bad when he’s out there so I’m happy. He hasn’t made a huge impact yet as it really hasn’t been needed, but there haven’t been any glaring mistakes that I can recall. Could certainly have gone worse for him. Same for the whole class really. Some growing pains, but can’t really say I’ve seen anything from any of them that had me concerned.

That’s not common, so I’d say we should all be very happy.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 01:15 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Yes.  Volson has been a pleasant surprise as well.  He misses some blocks, but he'll grow and he's understanding his role better and better.  

My big issue with Volson now is if another guy has his guy on lockdown, you do not always need to get involved. Not giving him hell but he did push Karras guy into Cappa leg and injured him. So, if the other guy has his guy on lockdown just keep your head on a swivel and watch for blitzers protect your gap.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 01:31 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: My big issue with Volson now is if another guy has his guy on lockdown, you do not always need to get involved. Not giving him hell but he did push Karras guy into Cappa leg and injured him. So, if the other guy has his guy on lockdown just keep your head on a swivel and watch for blitzers protect your gap.

“Looking for work” is exactly what they’re taught to do.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 02:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: “Looking for work” is exactly what they’re taught to do.

There is a smart way to play and a reckless way to play. Taylor Mays was a reckless player that injured 3 or 4 of our players by hitting with his eyes closed. If you continue to hurt our team by taking out our players, you won't be on the field long. 
Reply/Quote
This is just for reference with PFF grades for those curious, not any ironclad argument or anything...

1. Daxton Hill, 58.1 (Unranked)
2. Cam Taylor-Britt, 56.1 (95th of 122 CBs)
3. Zachary Carter, 32.1 (123rd of 126 DIs)
4. Cordell Volson, 51.6 (66th of 78 Gs)
5. Tycen Anderson, N/A
7. Jeff Gunter, 42.5 (Unranked)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
solid draft. CTB and Volson and Carter have been visible starter material. Dax showed in preseason but I think Lou wanted his guys out there. Dax will catch up. Remember, it took awhile for Bates to come online.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
For me:

Rd 1. Hill, S/CB. I liked the pick at the time. This pick was all about NEXT year, with Bell a FA and Bates as well.

He only played 131 snaps all year, and nearly half of those were at slot CB at Tampa in his only start. He held up fine in that game and looked even better in his limited snaps at safety. I thought we'd see more 3 safety looks with Bell/Hill in the box. So that was disappointing. I don't think Lou is a big fan of rookie DBs. They only play when he has no other choice. I fully expect Bates to leave and Hill to start at FS next year.

Rd 2. CTB. I did not like the pick at the time. I though Rd2 was a tad high for CTB. I'd have loved him in Rd3. And we gave up draft capital to do it (though a 6th is no biggie). I wanted Woolen badly. Or, Marcus Jones. But I did GET the pick. We clearly want corners (and DBs) who are good run defenders. Which is smart, playing in our division. But I'd prefer my corners to cover 1st & run stuff 2nd, not the other way around.

Pkayed 591 snaps (10th on D). Once he played he has held up pretty well (Bates behind him helps.) He is still raw in coverage. But the run defense thing is real. He is super athletic. And made a wonderful pass-breakup in the end zone last game. He has exceeded my expectations and as a converyed safety, his coverage skills should get more refined.

Rd 3. Carter. I was not a big fan of the pick, though I did not know much about him. I got it with losing Larry O, though. But I think we reached for need.

Played 396 snaps as a rotational DT. Early results were awful. Exacerbated by Reader & Tupou both getting hurt. The middle was a sieve for a bit. And he did not impress with the pass rush either, which was disappointing given his experience at DE. Got a bit better the last couple games and played well vs the Ravens (albeit vs a backup). Hopefully he continues to trend upwards. Disappointing on the whole, but getting better at the end is hopeful.

Rd 4. Volson. I knew zero about him. I knew we needed OL help.

Played a team high 1,107 snaps. Had his ups and downs. But was passable at LG. Which was better than I was expecting.

Rd5. Tycen Anderson. I knew nothing about the player. Thought trading our 7th to move up 8 spots or so in the 5th was odd, but a 7th is no biggie.

Kid got hurt in camp & put on IR. Kind if an IR stash. Speedy as hell. Never got to play. Again, I think this pick was made with next year with Bates & Bell FA's and continued the theme of upgrading team speed at DB (Hill, CTB). Anderson ran a 4.36 40. CTB 4.38. Hill 4.38.

Rd 7. Gunter. No reaction.

He made the team and blocked a FG. Only played 37 snaps on D. Mostly late when Hubbard & Hendrickson were dinged. Making the team exceeded my expectations. Though his roster spot is tenous. If we decide we need some more pass rush, Ossai & Sample are ahead of him.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 04:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This is just for reference with PFF grades for those curious, not any ironclad argument or anything...

1. Daxton Hill, 58.1 (Unranked)
2. Cam Taylor-Britt, 56.1 (95th of 122 CBs)
3. Zachary Carter, 32.1 (123rd of 126 DIs)
4. Cordell Volson, 51.6 (66th of 78 Gs)
5. Tycen Anderson, N/A
7. Jeff Gunter, 42.5 (Unranked)

To be fair, Britt has been a really solid tackler, but has had some issues in coverage.  Also got dinged (PFF-wise) pretty badly for a couple BS penaties.  As a rookie CB to start in the league, I think he has been a pleasant surprise.  People forget what Leon Hall looked like as a rookie.

Carter gets some really low PFF scores (though he has been improving throughout the year) on tackling.  He seems to be in position but tries to arm tackle instead of driving through with his body.  He is getting better and I like the energy I see.  He has that relentless gene.  DT, IMHO, is the hardest position to make an impact as a rookie.

Volson has been a steal.  Starting from day 1 and a solid contributor.  

Don't forget also, the one major flaw in PFF to me:  They don't take in to account the level of competition.  I think ALL these scores are significantly higher if they had the weak ass Chiefs schedule (playing the rest of the AFC west twice and the AFC south.  Turd soup).

Have big hopes for Anderson.  Loved him at Toledo.  Stood out.  Has incredible length, speed, and for a bigger guy, change-of-direction.  

Here's to pick 32 this year being a stud OT, and getting some depth at CB, WR, DE, and DT.  
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 01:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Obviously way to early to determine either way, but we got significant contributions from Volson and CTB, so that’s a win.

I think your post sort of ends the thread. You named the two guys have that have helped the AFC North champions. The '22 draft proved beneficial.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 10:52 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think your post sort of ends the thread. You named the two guys have that have helped the AFC North champions. The '22 draft proved beneficial.

I would agree with this. You get a 2-3 guys each draft that end up as above average players then you can call that draft a success. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I don’t think there’s any doubt when looking at our injuries during the year that rookies ( I’m including Ossai) have really helped. Don’t give 2 ___s about PFF ( I do like them ) the results speak for themselves.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2023, 01:02 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Now that the season is over.  What do you think of the Bengals 2022 draft?  What grade would you give?  What players surprised?

I'll be first to comment:  A bit of a disappointment Dax Hill -- But I do believe he just needs more reps and he'll long-term be solid

A surprise:  Zack Carter -- Solid and better than many people thought.  Cam Britt-Taylor is another who (for a rookie) has stepped into a starter's role and played decently.

Definitely an A with the play of Volson who might be the best rookie OL this season. CTB has played like his hair is on fire after he
started getting the NFL game down. True on Dax, expected more but he also probably just needs more snaps as you say. Zach Carter
has flashed at times and has been better against the run than I thought he would be as a rookie, he needs to add a little more in the
pass rushing department. Gunter has flashed, haven't seen Tycen out there much at all.
Reply/Quote
REDRAFT:

#31: JAQUAN BRISKER
#60: BERNHARD RAIMANN
#95: DAMEON PIERCE
#136 TARIQ WOOLEN
#170 BRAXTON JONES
#252 BROCK PURDY
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Can't complain yet - we've gotten good play out of Volson and CTD, Hill flashed in spot duty and lately Carter has also started to show his potential.
Reply/Quote