Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 3 Great Ironies of Wealth Inequality
I've engaged in a ton of discussions about this topic, and it'll probably be discussed more as time goes on. Throughout them all, I've noticed a few ironies that i'd like to discuss with this community. This is me condensing it a bit and I state my many grievances. Address all of them or just one. IDC, i'm not looking for this discussion to go any kind of direction. Just wherever anyone wants.

Most of the time I see this discussed anywhere, people like to cite these Oxfam studies: https://www.oxfam.org/en/research/economy-1. Why? I assume it's because they're stupid or are pursuing an agenda. Policies that address wealth inequality will be DOMESTIC, not INTERNATIONAL. Inequality on a global scale is irrelevant unless you're advocating for some Alex Jones NWO kind of policy, which isn't very likely.

What's amusing to me is how many ignorant first-worlders truly believe that their Walmart job fits into that international bottom 50%. Compared to the rest of the world, that Wal-Mart worker is in the top percentage that owns 87% of the world's shit. #FirstWorldProbelms.

More amusement stems from people that believe that these unbelievably wealthy people got their wealth via confiscating it from that bottom 50%.

A third and final amusement comes from those 62 people wailing that they're too wealthy and that something must be done - nothing voluntary on their part to give that wealth up, of course, but something, and most likely a cost that'll fall squarely onto the upper middle class via increases in W2 o employment taxes rather than changes to property, wealth, or capital taxation--you know, some of the main drivers of wealth inequality.

Welath inequality, as a political topic, is mostly politictians, with the really wealthy and really poor as head cheerleader, shitting on the middle-man at every single opportunity. Every. Single. One.

People are pretty gullible around these sorts of things.
I have engaged in many discussions on the topic and have never looked at that study. Though I am a domestic policy person. If I wasn't on my phone I would pull up the studies focusing on the US. Those studies would probably be able to address, partially, your irony about the top taking it from the bottom. Wage gaps created not by reduced wages for the lower group (though some would claim the reduced spending power would equate to that) but from increased salaries for management in relation to workers in the past 40 years or so. What this means is worker wages remain stagnant and management goes up. With this happening it creates the perception if the upper income groups taking it from the lower.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(12-28-2016, 02:14 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: More amusement stems from people that believe that these unbelievably wealthy people got their wealth via confiscating it from that bottom 50%.

Not sure what is funny about this.  For about three decades after WWII the wealth of all Americans grew at about the same pace.  Since then almost all of the increase in wealth has gone to the top 5%.

I see nothing amusing about the fact that the top 5% claimed all of the new wealth while it was denied to the lower and middle classes.
(12-28-2016, 02:14 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote:  Inequality on a global scale is irrelevant unless you're advocating for some Alex Jones NWO kind of policy, 

How can you make this comment and then immediately follow it up with this

(12-28-2016, 02:14 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote:  Compared to the rest of the world, that Wal-Mart worker is in the top percentage that owns 87% of the world's shit. #FirstWorldProbelms.  
(12-28-2016, 11:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How can you make this comment and then immediately follow it up with this

That is where i got confused. Should i be mad at the rich assholes who work at wal mart?
(12-28-2016, 11:51 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How can you make this comment and then immediately follow it up with this

Hilarious

This post made my day.

That is the Fourth Great Irony Of Wealth Inequality. 
(12-28-2016, 03:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That is where i got confused. Should i be mad at the rich assholes who work at wal mart?

Yes. Those rich assholes working at Walmart don't know how good they have it on an irrelevant global scale. 
(12-28-2016, 06:51 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yes. Those rich assholes working at Walmart don't know how good they have it on an irrelevant global scale. 

I like looking at the extremes when it fits my narrative.  It reminds me of the time when my son broke his arm and he was all like "Waaahhh, I need to go to the doctor" and I was all like "Quit your bitching, there are kids your age with terminal cancer." Then my wife came home and was all like "Wow, you're a terrible father" and I was all like "Yeah, but there are parents out there who straight-up murder their kids" and she shut up.

Perspective...get you some!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Because a policy that would address inequality on a global scale would require cooperation and cohesion from hundreds of governments (good luck), and people are ignorant about the living conditions in 3rd world countries? I talked about two different things there. Just because both statements mentioned the same thing doesn't mean they were related.
(12-29-2016, 07:52 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Because a policy that would address inequality on a global scale would require cooperation and cohesion from hundreds of governments (good luck), and people are ignorant about the living conditions in 3rd world countries? I talked about two different things there. Just because both statements mentioned the same thing doesn't mean they were related.

Doesn't the term "3rd world countries" imply 3rd world country living conditions?  Who do you know who thinks differently?

I think you're just ignorant of what others are ignorant about. For instance, you claimed 11 old kids couldn't understand topics they study in school as 9 year olds. 

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Youth-Football-protest?pid=273563#pid273563
(12-29-2016, 08:47 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Doesn't the term "3rd world countries" imply 3rd world country living conditions?  Who do you know who thinks differently?

I think you're just ignorant of what others are ignorant about. For instance, you claimed 11 old kids couldn't understand topics they study in school as 9 year olds. 

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Youth-Football-protest?pid=273563#pid273563
Lol.

You think grade school curriculum covers a complex thing like race relations sufficiently for children to contribute to the discussion?  That's funnier than any poor attempt to take a shot at me.

Hey, remember that time when you tried to say that assimilation in another country doesn't take generations? Good times.
(12-29-2016, 09:41 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Lol.

You think grade school curriculum covers a complex thing like race relations sufficiently for children to contribute to the discussion?  That's funnier than any poor attempt to take a shot at me.

Based upon my 11 y/o daughter, absolutely. 

Quote:Hey, remember that time when you tried to say that assimilation in another country doesn't take generations? Good times.

According to your definition, my wife is a 2nd generation American and our daughter 3rd generation. If I didn't tell you that the information, you couldn't tell the difference between a 2nd generation American and a 22nd generation American.
(12-29-2016, 10:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: According to your definition, my wife is a 2nd generation American and our daughter 3rd generation. If I didn't tell you that the information, you couldn't tell the difference between a 2nd generation American and a 22nd generation American.

My wife is first gen and my son is second gen. My wife has an accent, so you can tell with her. But, there's no way anyone could single my son out as second gen from his classmates without knowing it in advance.  
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-30-2016, 12:15 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: My wife is first gen and my son is second gen. My wife has an accent, so you can tell with her. But, there's no way anyone could single my son out as second gen from his classmates without knowing it in advance.  

This idea "assimilation" takes "generations" is good for a chuckle.

I have more of an accent than my wife because I grew up in the south . . . of Ohio.  I sound like I'm from Kentucky.
(12-30-2016, 12:23 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This idea "assimilation" takes "generations" is good for a chuckle.

I have more of an accent than my wife because I grew up in the south . . . of Ohio.  I sound like I'm from Kentucky.

I assimilate, too well, and very quickly.
I immediately start to talk with whatever accent I'm surrounded by.
It gets me into trouble, sometimes.

(12-30-2016, 12:23 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This idea "assimilation" takes "generations" is good for a chuckle.

We are in Arizona, of course. I'd say about 30% to 40% of his classmates have family origins from Latin America or South America. Most are probably third or fourth gen American. However, this being Arizona, there are some whose family's citizenship goes back even further.

I'd wager another 10% of his classmates are Native American ancestry. I gave up trying to calculate what generation that would be.  Ninja

I'm pretty sure that over 90% of the "white" and "black" kids' parents are first generation to Arizona, like me.  
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(12-29-2016, 10:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Based upon my 11 y/o daughter, absolutely. 

According to your definition, my wife is a 2nd generation American and our daughter 3rd generation. If I didn't tell you that the information, you couldn't tell the difference between a 2nd generation American and a 22nd generation American.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

You do know that you're basically saying "If my daughter can do it, than other kids definitely can" right? That would that she's behind the curve, not ahead of it.

I'm not sure why you think your family is a rebuttal for economietric studies and PEW research.
(12-30-2016, 12:39 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

You do know that you're basically saying "If my daughter can do it, than other kids definitely can" right? That would that she's behind the curve, not ahead of it.

For agument's sake, let's assume she is behind the curve.  That would indicate kids are capable of understanding what you claimed they cannot and you're full of shit.  You're a brilliant logician.