Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The AFC North is bad as a whole....
(10-08-2019, 10:49 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, we just all know how the franchise standards are different.  We consider getting mooshed in round 1 of the playoffs a good year and Steeler fans still lament losing to Tebow in round 1.  

That's why I didn't give Browns fans a hard time for being psyched they won 7 games last year or in 2014 or whatever it was.  I know how it feels to celebrate something another franchise would consider a failure.  Hey speaking of that, I totally took home a chick who was a solid 5 from the bar last night!  SCORE!

Are you sure you weren't just drunk and she was really a solid 3?

According to Urban Dictionary: A very sophisticated way to rate girls on their looks

1-A ***** monster, forces people leave the room
2-You wouldn't wanna poke her with a 10 foot pole

3-You'd only wanna communicate over text...no face-time    Yes

4-Just plain unattractive
5-Average, nothing about her appearance stands out
6-The squad would roast you for liking this girl but not too bad
7-Decently attractive
8-Pretty hot; if she doesn't has a boyfriend, she will soon
9-One hot piece of ass
10-God's gift to mankind; the definition of perfection
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 04:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

EXACTLY!!!!!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 03:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Are you sure you weren't just drunk and she was really a solid 3?

According to Urban Dictionary: A very sophisticated way to rate girls on their looks

1-A ***** monster, forces people leave the room
2-You wouldn't wanna poke her with a 10 foot pole

3-You'd only wanna communicate over text...no face-time    Yes

4-Just plain unattractive
5-Average, nothing about her appearance stands out
6-The squad would roast you for liking this girl but not too bad
7-Decently attractive
8-Pretty hot; if she doesn't has a boyfriend, she will soon
9-One hot piece of ass
10-God's gift to mankind; the definition of perfection

That is very sophisticated  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 09:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. What a year to be terrible for us.

We could have ruled the division. But, the Steelers beat us with their backup QB.

Could be a blessing in disguise.  Face it, do you really want to "rule the division" only to get trounced out of the playoffs in the 1st round again?
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 10:33 AM)Wyche Wrote:
Also, the 49ers are no joke....

This is an interesting take.  If the 49ners are no joke, then that means the AFC north is better than people think.  They have 3 wins against this pathetic North.  Would they still have those wins if they played another division?
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 12:10 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: This is an interesting take.  If the 49ners are no joke, then that means the AFC north is better than people think.  They have 3 wins against this pathetic North.  Would they still have those wins it they played another division?

Good point, the thing is, they have blasted the AFCN, with exception of the Stoolers. 

What I'm looking at, is their defense has really improved from last season, Breida is running well, and the offense is really starting to click under Shannahan. They look much improved. I think they would probably at least still be 3-2.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 12:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good point, the thing is, they have blasted the AFCN, with exception of the Stoolers. 

What I'm looking at, is their defense has really improved from last season, Breida is running well, and the offense is really starting to click under Shannahan. They look much improved. I think they would probably at least still be 3-2.

That's fair.  They do look very much improved.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 09:51 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. What a year to be terrible for us.

We could have ruled the division. But, the Steelers beat us with their backup QB.

And then been slaughtered by the Chiefs or Patriots in the playoffs.

If there ever was a year to be terrible, this is it. The entire AFC North is crap and one of these teams will go to the playoffs and get blown out while losing out in the draft.

This team has lots of holes, and a bad season and high draft picks are kinda what they need.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 12:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And then been slaughtered by the Chiefs or Patriots in the playoffs.

If there ever was a year to be terrible, this is it. The entire AFC North is crap and one of these teams will go to the playoffs and get blown out while losing out in the draft.

This team has lots of holes, and a bad season and high draft picks are kinda what they need.

IF we won the Division, we would play a wildcard team.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF we won the Division, we would play a wildcard team.

And if we somehow managed to beat the wildcard team, we would then be fodder for either the Chiefs or Pats. 

The AFC will be represented by one of those two teams this season unless Mahomes gets hurt or Belichek gets caught cheating.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 02:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And if we somehow managed to beat the wildcard team, we would then be fodder for either the Chiefs or Pats. 

The AFC will be represented by one of those two teams this season unless Mahomes gets hurt or Belichek gets caught cheating.

LOL...but we would have FINALLY WON A PLAYOFF GAME in that scenario.

The Chiefs just lost to the Colts. You have to play good teams in the playoffs. It's how it is.

If you wait to make the playoffs the year all the teams are bad...it will never happen.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 02:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: LOL...but we would have FINALLY WON A PLAYOFF GAME in that scenario.

The Chiefs just lost to the Colts. You have to play good teams in the playoffs. It's how it is.

If you wait to make the playoffs the year all the teams are bad...it will never happen.

True that, true that. Cool
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 02:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: And if we somehow managed to beat the wildcard team, we would then be fodder for either the Chiefs or Pats. 

I wouldn't put the money on the Chiefs any time soon.  They could be in for a dog fight for the division.  SD has Rivers and Oakland could surprise them when they least expect it.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 04:21 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: I wouldn't put the money on the Chiefs any time soon.  They could be in for a dog fight for the division.  SD has Rivers and Oakland could surprise them when they least expect it.

Plus teams can run on them.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 09:59 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

The Ravens are probably the best team and they're not all that good.

Yet the Browns laid the smack down on them. All four teams in the AFCN need help. 
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 04:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus teams can run on them.

I have an unpopular opinion that Mahomes isn't a great QB.  He is a high-light reel for sure.  However as a strictly pocket passer he isn't all that great.

Yes, he was limping with his ankle injury and that can change the dynamics of his throws, however he missed his WRs by very wide margins when he wasn't able to escape the pocket (which is again the ankle injury) and let his WRs get very wide open.

The consensus right now is that the Colts just hogged the ball.  Which is true in a sense, but they did have to give that ball back to the Chiefs after every score and Mahomes wasn't as effective once he was boxed into the pocket.  His TD was due to scrambling around for a long time while the defenders kept trying to get a bead on him*, without being flagged for it.  He then had a very wide open WR for the TD.

His injury limited his ability to scramble and his mechanics were probably affected because of it as well.

*As an aside-  These rule changes about protecting QBs are probably the most instrumental in the success of QBs like Mahomes.  These guys can scramble around and much and as fast as they can, while the defenders have to not only react to them scrambling but also make sure they don't get hit with roughing the passer, forcible contact to the head and neck area, low hits, landing on top of the QB, face mask, helmet to helmet and any other penalty that I may have missed.  Add in that the consensus of holding on every play (which some teams seem to get called for more than others) and it definitely is skewed to help these QBs far more than the pocket passers.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 05:08 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: I have an unpopular opinion that Mahomes isn't a great QB.  He is a high-light reel for sure.  However as a strictly pocket passer he isn't all that great.

Yes, he was limping with his ankle injury and that can change the dynamics of his throws, however he missed his WRs by very wide margins when he wasn't able to escape the pocket (which is again the ankle injury) and let his WRs get very wide open.

The consensus right now is that the Colts just hogged the ball.  Which is true in a sense, but they did have to give that ball back to the Chiefs after every score and Mahomes wasn't as effective once he was boxed into the pocket.  His TD was due to scrambling around for a long time while the defenders kept trying to get a bead on him*, without being flagged for it.  He then had a very wide open WR for the TD.

His injury limited his ability to scramble and his mechanics were probably affected because of it as well.

*As an aside-  These rule changes about protecting QBs are probably the most instrumental in the success of QBs like Mahomes.  These guys can scramble around and much and as fast as they can, while the defenders have to not only react to them scrambling but also make sure they don't get hit with roughing the passer, forcible contact to the head and neck area, low hits, landing on top of the QB, face mask, helmet to helmet and any other penalty that I may have missed.  Add in that the consensus of holding on every play (which some teams seem to get called for more than others) and it definitely is skewed to help these QBs far more than the pocket passers.

Lots of great points. It is like the Geno roughing the passer call against Murray, was complete BS.

The League is just trying to make it easier on Offenses and namely QB's as you say which makes me think we can get a 
better one than Dalton fairly soon. We need a QB that simply doesn't panic, it is okay to take sacks but don't bail out of the
pocket before the play breaks down unless you are a running QB. Have been a Dalton supporter for a long time and I love 
his accuracy when he gets time but his pocket awareness is a definite weakness now.

Time to move on, Dalton has been ruined by bad O-line play it seems and even though he now has a good Center it still 
doesn't matter, it is in his head. Too late.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 05:05 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Yet the Browns laid the smack down on them. All four teams in the AFCN need help. 

Good teams lose to bad teams occasionally. It happens. Teams don't generally go 16-0. When it happens within the 1st several games of the year, people like to draw snap judgement based on it...but over 16 games...things balance out.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 06:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lots of great points. It is like the Geno roughing the passer call against Murray, was complete BS.

The League is just trying to make it easier on Offenses and namely QB's as you say which makes me think we can get a 
better one than Dalton fairly soon. We need a QB that simply doesn't panic, it is okay to take sacks but don't bail out of the
pocket before the play breaks down unless you are a running QB. Have been a Dalton supporter for a long time and I love 
his accuracy when he gets time but his pocket awareness is a definite weakness now.

Time to move on, Dalton has been ruined by bad O-line play it seems and even though he now has a good Center it still 
doesn't matter, it is in his head. Too late.

Yes the league is trying to help these QBs as much as they can to succeed.  Not because they are any good, but because the league knows they have to have the hype train and that these QBs would be killed if they allowed the old school defenses of the past to play.

I don't know about moving on from Dalton... if we do, fine.  However, I still think he is an underrated guy that coaching has let down. 

Marvin's mindset was any drive ending with a kick is a good thing.  Either a punt, FG or extra point.  Marvin didn't care about taking risk early in the games or even in the middle.  No, his risk taking was always at the end if the game was close.  There is logic to this and it can be a winning strategy, if your defense is stout and you make the plays needed to win the games.  That is why we almost always played better in the 2nd half with Marvin, the 4th quarter is where the risk were taken and we were aggressive more.  Also why we lost a lot of games in the 2nd half when we had the lead.  We played conservative while our opponents took the risk.  

ZT seems to do this as well, since we came back against AZ, and even Buffalo.  Yet our defense isn't stout and shouldn't be relied upon to close out the games.  The line is struggling but the coaches aren't trying to move the pocket and create better pockets for Dalton to work in.

Think about '15 (I know many hate invoking that season), but Hue made a lot of pre snap movements with the line to make it harder for the opponents to key up on Dalton.  He moved the pocket and then even had a play were the pocket went one way and Dalton moved out away from the pocket completely.  The defense followed the line and pocket, before they knew what Dalton did, he already had the ball gone for easy completions.  There is nothing holy about hitting tight windows and throwing perfect passes to beat defenses.  If you can make it easy for your QB, then do it.  For some reason our coaches aren't doing that.  This is why I don't care about the QB position and want to fix the OLine first and then the LBers next.  
Reply/Quote