Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The AFC just got a little more tough
Broncos got Sean Payton, he's a great coach and will turn around the Broncos, the AFC just got a little more difficult
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping that at most it causes the regular season win percentage of KC (and LAC) to go down a bit, thus keeping the first seed more out of the reach of an AFC West team, which could benefit Cincinnati.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought it got tougher when they got Russ. We will see.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
He has his work cut out, nothing really matters until the team starts performing better. I'm sure he would say the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:01 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I'm hoping that at most it causes the regular season win percentage of KC (and LAC) to go down a bit, thus keeping the first seed more out of the reach of an AFC West team, which could benefit Cincinnati.

My thoughts, too. Need to stop KC from getting the one seed every year. Our best chance to make deep consistent runs in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Denver basically has no 1st or 2nd round picks for the next decade now. That is only sustainable if your team was already super close (like the Rams before trading for Stafford, Miller, and Ramsey). Denver has a pretty good defense, but that’s about it. Russ looks absolutely washed, and they’re in a division with Mahomes and Herbert. I don’t see them as a threat even with Payton.

Reply/Quote
Peyton is overhyped. If he didn't have Brees he wouldn't have done anything in the NFL. I can't even remember when the saints were a legit SB team.
Reply/Quote
That's way too much to give up for Payton. They already gave up a lot of draft capital for the player that helped get them into this situation, and they paid him a shitload of money.

Yeah I'm not going to spend a ton of time worrying about Denver.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Denver basically has no 1st or 2nd round picks for the next decade now. That is only sustainable if your team was already super close (like the Rams before trading for Stafford, Miller, and Ramsey). Denver has a pretty good defense, but that’s about it. Russ looks absolutely washed, and they’re in a division with Mahomes and Herbert. I don’t see them as a threat even with Payton.

Denver got that "Walmart Money". Even with Salary Cap, cash is king. They'll sign FAs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
1 and done Payton. He’s used to creating throwing lanes for short qbs so he may be able to work with Wilson

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Denver got that "Walmart Money". Even with Salary Cap, cash is king. They'll sign FAs

You see some of those sideline shots of guys reacting to “Mr Unlimited” this season? I’m not sure deep pockets will be enough. LOL

Reply/Quote
I can see why the Broncos made this move, they have to do something drastic in hopes of getting anything other than utter humiliation out of the Wilson trade.  It wouldn't floor me if he turned things around there, particularly since his claim to fame is winning with another QB who was supposedly DOA when he teamed up with him.

One of the knocks against the Wilson trade was that other teams who went all in on the vet QB route didn't do so when they had just hired a rookie HC.  Wilson being paired up with a vet HC with a history of some success makes some actual sense.  This could work for them, and the Hackett year will be seen as an aberration.  Plus, the Hackett hire seemed more like a ploy to get Aaron Rodgers there and when it didn't happen the new Broncos owners panicked and pulled the trigger on a less logical Wilson deal.

(01-31-2023, 11:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You see some of those sideline shots of guys reacting to “Mr Unlimited” this season? I’m not sure deep pockets will be enough. LOL

I guess it depends on if Sean Peyton actually believes in Wilson or if he's just there because Sam Walton's kids have like 100 billion bucks in the bank and simply gave him a deal that makes the Gruden deal look like chump change.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:57 PM)Trademark Wrote: Broncos got Sean Payton, he's a great coach and will turn around the Broncos, the AFC just got a little more difficult

I’ll play he had Drew Brees. No Brees ? Not so good. But he is a good coach. But I don’t know if he turns it around. I think LAC has finally turned it around.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:35 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ll play he had Drew Brees. No Brees ? Not so good. But he is a good coach. But I don’t know if he turns it around. I think LAC has finally turned it around.

Actually, the fact that he went to Denver and not the Chargers should get a sigh of relief from us and the rest of the AFC.  Herbert with Sean Peyton could have been something, but I'm thinking he's probably just getting a buttload of money for this.

There is no salary cap for coaches, so if the trend of new owners that have billions of dollars continues there could be a new trend in coach stealing.  I mean, David Tepper could probably give ZT $25 million per year if he wanted.  
Reply/Quote
Good. Let the West beat themselves up like we do in the North each year.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
Good coach but still has a washed up QB.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: 1 and done Payton.

His team won at least 1 playoff game in 7 of the 9 times they went to the playoffs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: He’s used to creating throwing lanes for short qbs so he may be able to work with Wilson

This was exactly what I was going to bring up. This was a move to fix Russ, as Payton is the guy who got so much out of Brees, who is another short QB. Still, this is throwing good money after bad. If this doesn't fix Russ, they're royally screwed.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:13 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: His team won at least 1 playoff game in 7 of the 9 times they went to the playoffs.

Win 1 and then done Peyton.

(02-01-2023, 12:32 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This was exactly what I was going to bring up. This was a move to fix Russ, as Payton is the guy who got so much out of Brees, who is another short QB. Still, this is throwing good money after bad. If this doesn't fix Russ, they're royally screwed.

Yeah, they need this to work and they are banking on Hackett being the worst coach ever.  Can't really knock them for shooting for Rodgers then settling for spending way too much for Wilson seeing as they've had zero QB luck in a long time.

Actually, it's worse than I thought.  For 20 years they've had Jake Plummer, the Jay Cutler fiasco, Kyle Orton, and Tim Tebow, to go with a slew of young guys who didn't do anything.  Like the Cardinals, they've had no luck with QBs under the age of 35 after starting Jake Plummer....interesting.

So the Cardinals and Broncos both start Jake Plummer for multiple seasons and then go on a multi-decade crusade where they can't find success with any QBs under the age of 35.  What a curse.
Reply/Quote
If they can beat KC once a year it’s a good hire
Reply/Quote