Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The AFCN Has Figured Us Out...
(11-01-2022, 10:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think you both have points. The Jets, Saints, and Falcons either had depleted secondaries and/or refused to play Cover 2. And didn't have elite pass rushers.

Teams with a good pass rush go cover 2 and we can do nothing.

Zac can't adjust.

We should gave beat the Rams in the SB...but he didn't adjust.

The Stains got way too much pressure with 4 rushers which left 7 in the back end. 5 sacks and numerous other pressures/hits on JB.

Burrow both did not have time to throw and did not step up in the pocket enough, thus, had to dump off way too many times on short throws.

ZT and the Bengals pay their asst. coaches good money to figure things out. Blame goes around to several people. The big thing I'll blame ZT on is he simply gets away from the run too much, too early. IDC if they get 2-3 yards on 4 runs, they simply have to show that commitment to the run more to have any semblance of
keeping the D honest and maybe, just maybe, keeping a S a step or two closer to the LOS.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 10:07 PM)TheFan Wrote: What was last year? Or are we just going to use a 3 game sample size as fact? Our offense has been poor against any competent defense, all year.

Burrow has a 304 yard passing game and his huge 459 one. Outside of that he has no others over 300 yards. His next best was against the Steelers. Pittsburgh was also our 2nd best offensive game on the year, based on yards, where we out up 432. 

The Browns obviously have us figured out but it's laughable to act like the Steelers or Ravens do.

After destroying the Steelers in 2 games last year... we come out and lose to a backup Qb...????
s
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 08:54 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: After destroying the Steelers in 2 games last year... we come out and lose to a backup Qb...????
s

If Evan makes the xp or FG do people shut up about the Steelers loss and all of a sudden we're okay in the division? Literally nothing would be different about the game in regards to anything a coach could have done. 

Again, I'm not arguing Zac is a good coach but to claim the entire division has us figured out because of 3 games in the first half of the season when our offense has been bad in general is stupid. 

We've played 6 or 7 back up QBs this year. None of those have anything to do with how the offense performs. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:00 AM)TheFan Wrote: If Evan makes the xp or FG do people shut up about the Steelers loss and all of a sudden we're okay in the division? Literally nothing would be different about the game in regards to anything a coach could have done. 

Again, I'm not arguing Zac is a good coach but to claim the entire division has us figured out because of 3 games in the first half of the season when our offense has been bad in general is stupid. 

We've played 6 or 7 back up QBs this year. None of those have anything to do with how the offense performs. 

But he didn't make the extra point.

IF we scored 4 more TD's against the Browns on MNF people wouldn't call it a bad loss either.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:25 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I’m no expert,but even I can see what’s wrong with this Offense the majority of the time in adjusting to defensive schemes.The TV analysts,including former Quarterbacks,professionals,can see his ludicrous play calling.But Zac just doesn’t seem to get it.

I’m not trying to insult the guy or anything,but,it just makes me wonder,what’s going on inside his brain?

im picturing "slingblade" talking about "french fried potaters" is whats going on in his mind
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 12:37 AM)GodFather Wrote: These other coaches make Zac look completely amateurish and out of his league. These guys are working with less and producing more and all Zac says "It will be fine" 

We have no excuse preferring this poorly on offense with the weapons we have and yet here we are.

My biggest fear is the predictability of Mike Brown and his stubborn ways. That to me will equal Zac being here for quite some time regardless of how the Bengals perform. 

Agree.  That is true, MB will keep Zac regardless of performance.  That Super Bowl run may in the long run be detrimental.

We have a short window of opportunity.  Every year wasted due to poor coaching is a waste of a very skilled roster.  Zac is in way over his head and caught lightning in a bottle last year.

Just look at the Eagles.  Didn't take their ownership long to get rid of Doug Peterson.  He even won the Super Bowl and they moved on after his initial contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Is it that the AFCN has figured us out? Or that we just can't overcome when a team has a dominant game-changer on the DL?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:46 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Is it that the AFCN has figured us out? Or that we just can't overcome when a team has a dominant game-changer on the DL?

Both? The ravens don't have some superstar edge rusher. 
Reply/Quote
We can't run, and we can't block. It's not hard to figure anything out after that, lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:46 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Is it that the AFCN has figured us out? Or that we just can't overcome when a team has a dominant game-changer on the DL?

if we could only PLAN the GAME  to attack their weakness instead of walking right into their teeth.
Reply/Quote
Agreed, the AFCN has figured out the 2018 Rams and 2019 LSU playbooks.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 10:00 AM)TheFan Wrote: If Evan makes the xp or FG do people shut up about the Steelers loss and all of a sudden we're okay in the division? Literally nothing would be different about the game in regards to anything a coach could have done. 

3 games is half the conference schedule so it kind of becomes a significant number. And the offense hasn't been bad in every game (actually quite good in recent weeks) so its not quite as stupid a statement as you claim. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 11:04 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Both? The ravens don't have some superstar edge rusher. 

Just what I was going to say. The Ravens only posted 2 sacks on us.

Also, Joey B has dealt with pressure. How many times was he sacked on the way to the Super Bowl?

It's more than that. Everything mid-deep has been completely cut off and we often look confused out there.

I don't disagree with anyone saying Mixon and the blocking are a problem, but I also think the problems run deeper than that.

Hopefully Zac has the answers, but great coaches would be ready much quicker than this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just what I was going to say. The Ravens only posted 2 sacks on us.

Also, Joey B has dealt with pressure. How many times was he sacked on the way to the Super Bowl?

It's more than that. Everything mid-deep has been completely cut off and we often look confused out there.

I don't disagree with anyone saying Mixon and the blocking are a problem, but I also think the problems run deeper than that.

Hopefully Zac has the answers, but great coaches would be ready much quicker than this.

Yeah, what I'm hoping for is similar to last year, for the team to turn up the 2nd half after the bye. I imagine it's not easy just to install a new offensive system on the fly. Bye week would be the best time to adjust and start implementing different looks and schemes, ect... 

Mixon being really bad this year is unfortunate. Makes the team very 1 dimensional. I could only imagine the offense would look better with a more competent back. Even someone like Antonio Gibson paired with perine would be a better combo. Or even Evans and perine would out produce Mixon I'd bet. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2022, 11:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You stop it. Let's just ignore that the Steelers game was a turnover bonanza. Whatever helps you sleep, I guess. I am talking specifically about this year. Last year's results mean jack squat.

Teams compile film, analyze tendencies and draft players to help stop the best teams in their division. This is football 101.

If you feel better pretending we haven't been worse in general against our division, then good for you.

The Ravens are maybe a bit above average on the NFL scale. The Browns are very average at best with Brissett as QB, and that's probably being nice. And the Steelers are just bad !

You can sugarcoat it any way you like but the bottom line is we lost to all three teams and it's very telling on where we really are

The Bengals have a long way to go to become a true contender this season, if they even can. And little time to do it in.
Reply/Quote
All I  know for sure is that this team has no answer for top end pass rushers, lacks creativity in terms of play design and overall scheme...and most importantly, the offense as a whole has always been inconsistent as hell under Zac and Brian, and tends to disappear for stretches during far too many games. This was the case last year too, but they were able to overcome it because of all the big plays. 

Of course, it also doesn't help that the line continues to be an issue. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 12:55 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Don't be shocked, but i agree with you. Mostly...

The problem is turnstiles at the tackle position. Firing Pollack and bring anyone else in will not matter when your tackles can't slow EDs down.

Cover 2 doesn't matter now that Burrow knows he can't just go out there and fling it deep every other down. Pick at the defense and then hit them when they go man. 

There are two massive problems with this team right now and those are 1. Bad tackles when facing good EDs and 2. Joe Mixon and his inability to gain any semblance of yards or pass block at an even average level. 

Spot on with everything here. Our Division has really good Ends besides the Ravens and Jonah mostly and La'el have
been bad against the AFCN Ends. Mixon has been bad this season and he needs to be benched or at the very least take
away a ton of snaps and give them to Perine and Evans. The good thing in my eyes is that both Jonah and La'el can play
better and we have film of the first games against our divisional foes and we can adjust, have to damn it.

If Jonah doesn't get better bench him and roll with the best backup at LT.

(11-02-2022, 08:23 AM)Garrus Wrote: I 100% agree this is our big issue so far this season on offense. Those check downs to the RB usually have been the correct decision, since the defense plays back so much, nobody is open. If Mixon makes a man miss, that changes those 1-yard plays to 8-10 yard plays. Mixon is killing us this year. The tackles just compound it because he has to continue to get rid of the ball quick because they can't slow down the pass rush. 

All true. Always liked Mixon and defended him but not this season.

(11-02-2022, 08:30 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Dont know how much of a factor it is, but the entire AFCN have DL's that are better than our OL. Its rough going for Joe playing in this division behind this OL. However, they are showing improvement except Jonah. He's getting worse.

Yes Bengaloo, Jonah is the problem, still think he is injured to be as bad as he was Monday night but still.

This is what is hurting us and something needs to be addressed here.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 12:53 PM)R3stangs Wrote: 3 games is half the conference schedule so it kind of becomes a significant number. And the offense hasn't been bad in every game (actually quite good in recent weeks) so its not quite as stupid a statement as you claim. 

The only games our offense have been good were against the Saints and Falcons. Both are 2 of the worst in the league at pass rush. 

3 games is not enough to make a claim that an entire division has us figured out. Especially after we dominated 2 of them the year prior. The year before that we were dominated by Baltimore. Ever think things just come and go where it's a punch/counter punch each game/season to the next? 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: All I  know for sure is that this team has no answer for top end pass rushers, lacks creativity in terms of play design and overall scheme...and most importantly, the offense as a whole has always been inconsistent as hell under Zac and Brian, and tends to disappear for stretches during far too many games. This was the case last year too, but they were able to overcome it because of all the big plays. 

Of course, it also doesn't help that the line continues to be an issue. Whatever

Agree

I still believe scheme and play design/play calling from the Zac/Brian/Braintrust isn't doing this team any favors.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2022, 01:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

I still believe scheme and play design/play calling from the Zac/Brian/Braintrust isn't doing this team any favors.

For sure, if these guys cannot get it figured out we need to move on from them but have to keep Lou IMO.

For instance, the play design needs to get better, less predictable and they need to use players to their strengths.

Jonah right now is hurt and playing very poorly, need to address this by starting someone else or helping him out.

Mixon isn't the answer at RB in this system and has terrible vision right now, more Perine and Evans at RB and more play
calls using the RB on middle screens along with Hurst and this Offense could get back to explosive even within the AFCN.

There was one monster hole for Mixon against the Browns that could of been a TD and he cut outside away from it with 
out ever seeing it. Completely embarrassing and he should be benched for this alone let alone the fact he cannot help out
the OL in blitz pickup either. 
Reply/Quote