Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Athletic - Marvin Lewis article
If you have a subscription to The Athletic, there is a new article on Marvin Lewis today on what he's up to now, where his mindset is, etc. There is also some interesting tidbits on his time here in Cincinnati, and some insight into his conversations with Brown. Not sure how I feel about all of it, he still tells the same story about Brown truly wanting a winning team here, and spending money to get there.

Also talks about their difference in how they wanted to build a team, stating that Brown wants a team full of "Ferrari's." Just did a quick skim, so if others have anything to say, feel free to chime in.

I will say.. the breakdown of Lewis' losses in the playoffs is kinda crazy. Palmer gets ACL damaged on his first throw, Dalton throws 3 picks, he has a backup QB in 3 playoff games, and Hill's fumble along with Pacman's penalty. Article does put in perspective how Lewis did change the franchise.
Reply/Quote
I think this is the line we should all remember whenever we talk about the coaches

"But the Bengals still were Brown’s team. When Brown and Lewis disagreed on something, Brown would tell him, “I have two votes in this meeting, and you have one.”"

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I will always respect the job marvin did with this franchise but I think I'm starting to be even more impressed with the job he did working with mikey history says that's not easy to do..
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 01:29 PM)pally Wrote: I think this is the line we should all remember whenever we talk about the coaches

"But the Bengals still were Brown’s team. When Brown and Lewis disagreed on something, Brown would tell him, “I have two votes in this meeting, and you have one.”"

Yep

Remember the presser after 2010 season when MB brought Marvin back for another 3 years or whatever. I forget exactly what the question was to Marvin but something about the running of the team, roster question maybe ?

But Marvin says something along the lines of "It's Mike's team and he has final say"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 01:20 PM)thillan Wrote: If you have a subscription to The Athletic, there is a new article on Marvin Lewis today on what he's up to now, where his mindset is, etc. There is also some interesting tidbits on his time here in Cincinnati, and some insight into his conversations with Brown. Not sure how I feel about all of it, he still tells the same story about Brown truly wanting a winning team here, and spending money to get there.

Also talks about their difference in how they wanted to build a team, stating that Brown wants a team full of "Ferrari's." Just did a quick skim, so if others have anything to say, feel free to chime in.

I will say.. the breakdown of Lewis' losses in the playoffs is kinda crazy. Palmer gets ACL damaged on his first throw, Dalton throws 3 picks, he has a backup QB in 3 playoff games, and Hill's fumble along with Pacman's penalty. Article does put in perspective how Lewis did change the franchise.

When he uses the term "Ferrari's," I'm assuming he means the premium positions, right?
As in stack the premium positions like offensive weapons and CBs, then go less on non-premium positions like IOL and LB?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: When he uses the term "Ferrari's," I'm assuming he means the premium positions, right?
As in stack the premium positions like offensive weapons and CBs, then go less on non-premium positions like IOL and LB?

Most likely. But he values the tackle position more on the OL than any other. That’s probably why we saw the anomaly when we drafted Zeitler. Brown would rather develop his centers and guards from late picks and UDFA signings. You really can’t put a price tag on protecting the franchise, but Mike Brown tries.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 02:11 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Most likely. But he values the tackle position more on the OL than any other. That’s probably why we saw the anomaly when we drafted Zeitler. Brown would rather develop his centers and guards from late picks and UDFA signings. You really can’t put a price tag on protecting the franchise, but Mike Brown tries.

Boy- Mike's theory on building o line has really worked out well the past 4 to 5 years. Genius.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 01:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: When he uses the term "Ferrari's," I'm assuming he means the premium positions, right?

I interpreted that to mean he just wanted speed (like the Al Davis Raiders), but that ML valued intangibles and toughness. But I guess I don't know either. 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 07:03 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I interpreted that to mean he just wanted speed (like the Al Davis Raiders), but that ML valued intangibles and toughness. But I guess I don't know either. 

So John Ross? Lol 
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 07:03 PM)Geno_Can_Dunk Wrote: I interpreted that to mean he just wanted speed (like the Al Davis Raiders), but that ML valued intangibles and toughness. But I guess I don't know either. 

That could be it, but maybe more general like Combine vs game tape.
Perhaps Brown wants the guys who have high measurables and test numbers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 01:29 PM)pally Wrote: I think this is the line we should all remember whenever we talk about the coaches

Hey, if you have a subscription, would you please post the full text of the article for us?  Or, at least the paragraph or two that deal with Lewis' time with the Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 07:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hey, if you have a subscription, would you please post the full text of the article for us?  Or, at least the paragraph or two that deal with Lewis' time with the Bengals.

So, I'm not 100% sure about this at all, but the board may want to be careful about pasting paid content.  (If I'm wrong someone please correct me)

I'm on a couple different boards for UC and I know they both have a sctrict rule you that can't copy and paste Athletic articles, or stuff like the WSJ.  Their reasoning as explained has something to do with the site being liable for sharing protected content.  The few times a member did manage to post a full article a mod or admin immediately deleted it.

Didn't want to butt in here, I'd love to read it too, but wanted to give a quick heads up just in case it matters.

Fwiw, their workaround is simlar to what you suggested.  The poster just gives their own a synopsis of the content.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 08:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So, I'm not 100% sure about this at all, but the board may want to be careful about pasting paid content.  (If I'm wrong someone please correct me)

I'm on a couple different boards for UC and I know they both have a sctrict rule you that can't copy and paste Athletic articles, or stuff like the WSJ.  Their reasoning as explained has something to do with the site being liable for sharing protected content.  The few times a member did manage to post a full article a mod or admin immediately deleted it.

Didn't want to butt in here, I'd love to read it too, but wanted to give a quick heads up just in case it matters.

Fwiw, their workaround is simlar to  what you suggested.  The poster just gives their own a synopsis of the content.

Thanks for the heads up, I was always under the impression that once someone purchased something, they were free to share it with their friends.  (kind of like when you buy a book, movie, or music and allow your friends to read, watch or listen)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 08:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks for the heads up, I was always under the impression that once someone purchased something, they were free to share it with their friends.  (kind of like when you buy a book, movie, or music and allow your friends to read, watch or listen)

I think digital media is different.

For example, if I buy a welding code book in pdf format, it can only be viewed on the computer I download it too, and can only be printed 1 time ever.  It will have my name and other stuff along the border of each page that would incriminate me were I to photocopy the printout.  Even though I paid $400 for it.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 08:31 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I think digital media is different.

For example, if I buy a welding code book in pdf format, it can only be viewed on the computer I download it too, and can only be printed 1 time ever.  It will have my name and other stuff along the border of each page that would incriminate me were I to photocopy the printout.  Even though I paid $400 for it.

Ok, so digital media gets special privilege, separate and apart from traditional forms of media?  Seems a bit excessive, seeing how in this day and age that most things created were done so with borrowed information, from the get go..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 01:20 PM)thillan Wrote: If you have a subscription to The Athletic, there is a new article on Marvin Lewis today on what he's up to now, where his mindset is, etc. There is also some interesting tidbits on his time here in Cincinnati, and some insight into his conversations with Brown. Not sure how I feel about all of it, he still tells the same story about Brown truly wanting a winning team here, and spending money to get there.

I swear...that ***** site is pissing me off like no other. I paid for a sub a couple weeks ago and ***** trying to simply log in has been such a pain in the ass EVERY ***** TIME!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2020, 06:50 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Boy- Mike's theory on building o line has really worked out well the past 4 to 5 years. Genius.

Mike Brown is highly intelligent and obviously knows his way of running the business breeds failure to win games.

He’s making money, his family is secure and deeply enmeshed in the business so that the team stays in the family. I think those are his only vital goals. The winning and losing is nothing more than a nuisance he endures each season.
Reply/Quote
Def enjoy reading the Athletic, this was a good article and tells what most of us thought, at the end of the day Mike Brown makes the final call.
Established in 1993 Bengal Jim's "Before the Roar" is the longest running tailgate to support the Cincinnati Bengals.

Tune in LIVE at 8pm eastern every Tuesday for our weekly Bengals show! 

Check out our YouTube page at:
[Video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC12ZcOwQDXreLIkrcdjmbVwl]
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2020, 09:44 AM)Bengal Jim Wrote: Def enjoy reading the Athletic, this was a good article and tells what most of us thought, at the end of the day Mike Brown makes the final call.

I keep seeing "the Athletic" and thinking it reads "the Atlantic", and then wondering why do they care about football or the Bengals. It's been happening for months. I might have a problem.
Reply/Quote

Don't forget a playoff loss at Indy playing without AJ, Marvin Jones and Eifert. I hear all these talk show guys saying how bad teams have it with injuries but never heard a word back then about having to play a game without your top 3 receivers with 2 of them top 5 in the league.
Reply/Quote