Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Athletic Says We Have The Best Group Of Skill Players!
(06-21-2022, 11:03 AM)Nickslycat Wrote: On another subject, how the duck does a defender on the 23rd rated pass defense, and 30th rated rush defense win defensive player of the year?

Because he was such a dominant force. He tied the single season sack record and pretty much dragged the Steelers to being one of the best pass rushing defenses in the league. I have no issue with it. You're choosing the best defensive player, not the best player on the best defensive team. I can follow that logic. 
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2022, 11:08 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Because he was such a dominant force. He tied the single season sack record and pretty much dragged the Steelers to being one of the best pass rushing defenses in the league. I have no issue with it. You're choosing the best defensive player, not the best player on the best defensive team. I can follow that logic. 

I disagree, yes he tied the sack record, but he made no impact on the overall defense.  I compare him to World B. Free.  He led the league in scoring but his team finished last.  How much worse would they have finished without him.
Reply/Quote
Burrow did look different at the end of the season than he did at the beginning. But I just assumed it was because he was still getting over the injury mentally and/or physically. Never occurred to me to blame Zac for how he played early in the season.  

Joe might have looked a little sharper in the opener if he had played a few snaps in preseason, but that would only have made a difference in one game.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2022, 11:17 AM)Nickslycat Wrote: I disagree, yes he tied the sack record, but he made no impact on the overall defense.  I compare him to World B. Free.  He led the league in scoring but his team finished last.  How much worse would they have finished without him.

It is an individual award not a team award. Best player gets it even if he is not on the best team.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2022, 11:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is an individual award not a team award. Best player gets it even if he is not on the best team.

No shit.  How many teams dedicated 2 or 3 players to slow him down?  He is not a dominate player. Is he even the best player on that defense?

Go back and watch the game film of the KC playoff game, after he had a strip sack for a td. they exploited him for 24 points.

The award is supposed to go to the best defensive player in the league, he is not!
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2022, 11:17 AM)Nickslycat Wrote: I disagree, yes he tied the sack record, but he made no impact on the overall defense.  I compare him to World B. Free.  He led the league in scoring but his team finished last.  How much worse would they have finished without him.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. Just a matter of preference. There is precedence here as well. It isn't as uncommon as you may think. Strahan and Jason Taylor won DPOY on straight up losing teams (7-9 and 6-10). The Giants had a rather mediocre defense, but Dolphins defense was good. It is an individual award at the end of the day. I'm sure team performance is taken into account, but if an individual plays well enough, they will win it.  
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 08:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe so as well. Before somebody gets triggered I'm not saying Evans is Walter Payton and we're holding him back. I'd just like to see him used a touch more and give him a chance. If he can learn how to pass protect ?

That is the question and I think Evans can learn to pass protect. He did it at Michigan and it was listed as one of his strengths 
in the Draft analysis of him. The thing about Evans is he is dangerous catching the ball out of the backfield and can even line 
up at WR at times. Evans is very explosive, should be fun to watch him now that he might actually have some holes to run 
through with this OL.
Reply/Quote