Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Backup QB position: Cooper Rush/Jake Browning-4 weeks to BYE & Burrow
The Backup QB Roster spot has a purpose that has hopefully been well thought out by the Bengals.

I have always thought that a Backup QB should be Rostered that appears able to Win around half of the games he plays in order to

buy TIME for the Starter to get back to health.

Did the Bengals Roster Jake Browning with an expectation that he can go .500 for a handful of games if needed ?

Was he Rostered to save money ?

There are 4 games until the BYE week and I would hope that the Bengals Rostered Browning because they think that he is capable

of at least splitting these 4 games. (2 Wins/2 losses)

If they don't believe that Browning can go .500 over a 4 game stretch, then WHY did they make him the Backup QB?

I am leaning towards Resting Joe Burrow through the BYE week based on the limited information that I have.

Jake Browning would face the Rams, at Titans, at Cardinals, Seahawks. Hope for at least a split (2 Wins/2 losses) then a healthy Burrow.

Cooper Rush backed up for Dallas in 2022 with little experience and won 5 straight games. I would take a split from Browning.

If the Bengals have no FAITH in Browning then they need to Re-evaluate exactly what they expect out of their Backup QB position

going forward. Sometimes backup QB's actually have to play.
Reply/Quote
Reasonably you only want a backup to get you through a couple games (or even a half). I think even 2-2 will be tough given the D transitioning. This was the year we needed the Offense to hold them down for at least half of the season until they gelled. So relying on the D to hold a backup down is asking a lot this early.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: Reasonably you only want a backup to get you through a couple games (or even a half). I think even 2-2 will be tough given the D transitioning. This was the year we needed the Offense to hold them down for at least half of the season until they gelled. So relying on the D to hold a backup down is asking a lot this early.

It is asking a lot.

The number of games that a Backup QB has to get you through is an Unkown going into a season.

Given Burrow's injury, the Bengals may need this 4 game stretch out of their Backup QB.

This is the Backup QB's job and a Backup QB may be called on at any time & for any length of time to do that job.

If Browning is fit for his Job then he should be able to make a strong run at a 2 Win/2 Loss split.

If the Bengals believe that there is little chance that Browning can achieve a 2 and 2 split, then they should have Rostered someone else

that they could have more Faith in.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown has never spent money on a backup QB.  Actually, this is one of the reasons Palmer left (no, it wasn't trash on his lawn).  
We've got $13.4 million in cap space but they're going to play Browning this week.  He had his first pass attempt in the NFL at age 27 last week.

Its pretty evident the Bengals are not serious about the QB position outside of Burrow. Let's face it. JB could be done this year and we need a QB to right the ship, but you know what they say.... wish in one hand,  shit in the other......

Season is over without a win next week.  I say play burrow if he can walk because we have no chance with our backups
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:49 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Mike Brown has never spent money on a backup QB.  Actually, this is one of the reasons Palmer left (no, it wasn't trash on his lawn).  
We've got $13.4 million in cap space but they're going to play Browning this week.  He had his first pass attempt in the NFL at age 27 last week.

Its pretty evident the Bengals are not serious about the QB position outside of Burrow. Let's face it. JB could be done this year and we need a QB to right the ship, but you know what they say.... wish in one hand,  shit in the other......

Season is over without a win next week.  I say play burrow if he can walk because we have no chance with our backups

I'll bet this made his brother mad and quite awkward at the family reunion.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:18 PM)depthchart Wrote: The Backup QB Roster spot has a purpose that has hopefully been well thought out by the Bengals.

I have always thought that a Backup QB should be Rostered that appears able to Win around half of the games he plays in order to

buy TIME for the Starter to get back to health.

Did the Bengals Roster Jake Browning with an expectation that he can go .500 for a handful of games if needed ?

Was he Rostered to save money ?

There are 4 games until the BYE week and I would hope that the Bengals Rostered Browning because they think that he is capable

of at least splitting these 4 games. (2 Wins/2 losses)

If they don't believe that Browning can go .500 over a 4 game stretch, then WHY did they make him the Backup QB?

I am leaning towards Resting Joe Burrow through the BYE week based on the limited information that I have.

Jake Browning would face the Rams, at Titans, at Cardinals, Seahawks.   Hope for at least a split (2 Wins/2 losses) then a healthy Burrow.

Cooper Rush backed up for Dallas in 2022 with little experience and won 5 straight games.  I would take a split from Browning.

If the Bengals have no FAITH in Browning then they need to Re-evaluate exactly what they expect out of their Backup QB position

going forward. Sometimes backup QB's actually have to play.

I think we have a bit unrealistic ideas of quality backups.  Many of the top tier teams do not have very good backups.. actually Seiman had more experience and better stats than the backups at Buffalo, Browns, Miami, Jacksonville, Chiefs to name a few.  Sometimes a really solid backup wants to go to a team where maybe they actually have a chance to take over the QB position during a season or injury... And being 500 record is probably what 40% the starting QBs in our league are not going to achieve so to expect backups to do better would be unlikely. 
Reply/Quote
From what I remember reading, they actually reached out to Rush's camp, but he wasn't interested in leaving Dallas

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll bet this made his brother mad and quite awkward at the family reunion.

Actually, it had nothing to do with his brother and everything to do with Jon Kitna. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Spend the Collins savings on bringing Foles or Ryan in here on a 1 year deal (not sure how much they'd want in salary) , prop up Burrow for a 1 game (or play Browning for 1 game), let new QB loose with limited playbook. We're running a limited playbook as it is, so what's to lose in that respect ? With a solid vet backup, Joe could take his time to heal.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:09 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Spend the Collins savings on bringing Foles or Ryan in here on a 1 year deal (not sure how much they'd want in salary) , prop up Burrow for a 1 game (or play Browning for 1 game), let new QB loose with limited playbook. We're running a limited playbook as it is, so what's to lose in that respect ? With a solid vet backup, Joe could take his time to heal.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

They likely won't figure this out until it's too late.  The team can keep the cap savings if they lose Monday night because the season will be over anyway.  Might as well roll the dice with Browning and when that fails, just throw their hands up and say, "We tried!"

They wasted the last 6 weeks in my opinion.  No way management, coaches and trainers didn't know Joe's calf was on the edge. They had every opportunity to safeguard against this very situation and didn't take it.  It's just irritating because we could win with an decent backup. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:00 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think we have a bit unrealistic ideas of quality backups.  Many of the top tier teams do not have very good backups.. actually Seiman had more experience and better stats than the backups at Buffalo, Browns, Miami, Jacksonville, Chiefs to name a few.  Sometimes a really solid backup wants to go to a team where maybe they actually have a chance to take over the QB position during a season or injury... And being 500 record is probably what 40% the starting QBs in our league are not going to achieve so to expect backups to do better would be unlikely. 

I hear you, Essex and agree as a General rule.

I still see this issue as Case by Case.

Browning has been with the Bengals since 2021 and knows the System.

He would be asked to Start for a Team that has gone to 2 straight AFC Championship games and a Super Bowl.  Not for a scrub Team.

He isn't being asked to pull a Cooper Rush (5 straight Wins) or Brock Purdy level of success.

Just come in and show that during his 3rd year in the System he can Win 2 and lose 2.

It would NOT surprise me if he came in and did it even though the odds are against him as you imply.
Reply/Quote

Jake Browning would need to get a Win over 2 of these 4 QBs for a split before the BYE. (May not be impossible)

Rams - Matthew Stafford

Titans - Ryan Tannehill

Cardinals - Joshua Dobbs

Seahawks - Geno Smith
Reply/Quote
Speaking of Rush, I wonder if they could swing a trade with Dallas. IIRC, the Bengals had interest in him at some point. The Cowboys have Trey Lance. They don't need two high-end backups warming the bench.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:51 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Jake Browning would need to get a Win over 2 of these 4 QBs for a split before the BYE. (May not be impossible)

Rams - Matthew Stafford

Titans - Ryan Tannehill

Cardinals - Joshua Dobbs

Seahawks - Geno Smith

I mean, teams have beaten the Bengals with backup qbs time and time again.  It's not impossible.  
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:17 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: They likely won't figure this out until it's too late.  The team can keep the cap savings if they lose Monday night because the season will be over anyway.  Might as well roll the dice with Browning and when that fails, just throw their hands up and say, "We tried!"

They wasted the last 6 weeks in my opinion.  No way management, coaches and trainers didn't know Joe's calf was on the edge. They had every opportunity to safeguard against this very situation and didn't take it.  It's just irritating because we could win with an decent backup. 

This is so true and so frustrating it hurts. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:18 PM)depthchart Wrote: I hear you, Essex and agree as a General rule.

He would be asked to Start for a Team that has gone to 2 straight AFC Championship games and a Super Bowl.  Not for a scrub Team.

He isn't being asked to pull a Cooper Rush (5 straight Wins) or Brock Purdy level of success.

Just come in and show that during his 3rd year in the System he can Win 2 and lose 2.

It would NOT surprise me if he came in and did it even though the odds are against him as you imply.

I like Browning he is like a mini me Burrow. He has good mobility throws well on the run and has questionable arm strength. Burrows knock on him coming into the NFL was arm strength. Browning arm is weaker than Burrows by quite a bit since Burrow has worked to improve that over the last few years. But the deep ball is more timing than the distance the ball goes downfield. Some QB can launch it 60 yards but if you hit a guy 30 yards downfield with some yards after catch that's called a deep throw. The big difference between Burrow and Browning is how quickly Burrow reads the defense and gets the ball out as well as accuracy. 

I do think we can win with Browning but even if we cannot it is better than seeing Burrow struggle with the injury all year trying to play through it with the chance of seriously hurting the guy long-term.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 03:44 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: This is so true and so frustrating it hurts. 

Yes it is ridiculous. Saw this coming a mile away. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:18 PM)depthchart Wrote: I hear you, Essex and agree as a General rule.

I agree a young backup can win with talent we have on team but as a team we have not played to level yet so the team needs to raise to that level especially if we have our backup playing
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 06:58 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree a young backup can win with talent we have on team but as a team we have not played to level yet so the team needs to raise to that level especially if we have our backup playing

It would be do or die right off the bat for Browning and the Team.

Even if it does work out & Browning goes 2 & 2, Burrow would have to come back & play the 49ers & Buffalo. He may just split those 

2 games.

If it all goes wrong, the plus side would be a high, possibly Top 10 or better Draft pick in the 2024 Draft.

Maybe get an impact Defensive Lineman or Bonafide Offensive Lineman prospect with the 1st round pick.

Bengal fans have had 2 enjoyable seasons and it may just be our turn to struggle in 2023 before getting another shot at better things in 2024.
Reply/Quote
I joked about it last week, but WHAT IF (Gotta love what if's) Burrow is done for the season and Jake runs the tables, wins league MVP and the superbowl? 
OK, highly unlikely, but stranger things happen in real life sometimes.. 
Hey! I married a drop dead gorgeous stripper when I was younger. So what my mother wasn't impressed and the woman was a tramp and extraordinarily shitty mother to my kids and left when they were still babies, but I did it!  Hilarious Don't try that at home kids.  Cool
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote