Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Backup QB position: Cooper Rush/Jake Browning-4 weeks to BYE & Burrow
(09-20-2023, 04:00 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I like Browning he is like a mini me Burrow. He has good mobility throws well on the run and has questionable arm strength. Burrows knock on him coming into the NFL was arm strength. Browning arm is weaker than Burrows by quite a bit since Burrow has worked to improve that over the last few years. But the deep ball is more timing than the distance the ball goes downfield. Some QB can launch it 60 yards but if you hit a guy 30 yards downfield with some yards after catch that's called a deep throw. The big difference between Burrow and Browning is how quickly Burrow reads the defense and gets the ball out as well as accuracy. 

I do think we can win with Browning but even if we cannot it is better than seeing Burrow struggle with the injury all year trying to play through it with the chance of seriously hurting the guy long-term.

at least we wouldn't have to limit the playbook to screen passes for our backup QBs
Reply/Quote
Just sign Brady and let him play a few games, then he can get another ring for his HOF career
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Could always trade a 6th or 7th rounder with the 49ers to get ole' Brandon Allen back
Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 01:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Could always trade a 6th or 7th rounder with the 49ers to get ole' Brandon Allen back
Ninja

Or 6 years of first round picks knowing my luck.. Go for it!  Now watch Allen go and win the super bowl and league MVP.. Wouldn't that be a pisser?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:09 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Spend the Collins savings on bringing Foles or Ryan in here on a 1 year deal (not sure how much they'd want in salary) , prop up Burrow for a 1 game (or play Browning for 1 game), let new QB loose with limited playbook. We're running a limited playbook as it is, so what's to lose in that respect ? With a solid vet backup, Joe could take his time to heal.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

Ryan is done, he's in the booth.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 01:59 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Ryan is done, he's in the booth.

He is, but he also has mentioned he would be open to returning if the "stars aligned". Link. I do not, however, think that the Bengals current situation is the stars aligning for him. It would have to take something catastrophic like Burrow being done for the season and a nice one year deal for Ryan to come here. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 04:00 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: I like Browning he is like a mini me Burrow. He has good mobility throws well on the run and has questionable arm strength. Burrows knock on him coming into the NFL was arm strength. Browning arm is weaker than Burrows by quite a bit since Burrow has worked to improve that over the last few years. But the deep ball is more timing than the distance the ball goes downfield. Some QB can launch it 60 yards but if you hit a guy 30 yards downfield with some yards after catch that's called a deep throw. The big difference between Burrow and Browning is how quickly Burrow reads the defense and gets the ball out as well as accuracy. 

I do think we can win with Browning but even if we cannot it is better than seeing Burrow struggle with the injury all year trying to play through it with the chance of seriously hurting the guy long-term.

Browning is a Mini-Burrow like I am a Mini-Vlad Guerrero Jr.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 10:09 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Spend the Collins savings on bringing Foles or Ryan in here on a 1 year deal (not sure how much they'd want in salary) , prop up Burrow for a 1 game (or play Browning for 1 game), let new QB loose with limited playbook. We're running a limited playbook as it is, so what's to lose in that respect ? With a solid vet backup, Joe could take his time to heal.

Matt Ryan broadcasts games. I doubt he gives that up.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 02:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Browning is a Mini-Burrow like I am a Mini-Vlad Guerrero Jr.

Haha. True that. The team is going to struggle with Browning.

He has like no NFL experience, so there's that. Then, he's just not that talented physically.

Look how guys like Bryce Young struggle.
Reply/Quote

I'd take my chances in Browning with the 1st teamers rather than Foles or Ryan, neither of which know our offense.

It'd be different if they had signed in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 03:10 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: I'd take my chances in Browning with the 1st teamers rather than Foles or Ryan, neither of which know our offense.

It'd be different if they had signed in the offseason.

It's too late now anyways to sign Foles or Ryan. They aren't learning the offense in 4 days.

Have the Bengals brought in anyone today? IF they thought Joe was going IR, I'd assume they'd be doing that.
Reply/Quote
For those that don't know...with Browning...Taylor is going to call for a gameplan that throws a lot of very short passes. Like 5 yards or less. Like the Steelers do with Rudolph and Pickett.
Reply/Quote
I gotta confess to one thing. I've always considered NFL backup qbs to be the most overrated position in the league, just in terms of how if you ever need to rely on them you might as well tank the year. Especially when you have a dog like Burrow who won't come out of the game unless he's suffered something truly catastrophic. There are exceptions to the rule- like Foles or Hostetler or whomever- but I find it's generally true. And I still believe that.

What I don't believe is that my label for them is accurate anymore: the collarbone quarterback, in that that's the one injury where backups could be useful. I stand corrected. There are clearly others. Tweaked calf, for example.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 01:59 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Ryan is done, he's in the booth.

Ryan couldn't play behind this line anyways.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 03:20 PM)tms Wrote: I gotta confess to one thing. I've always considered NFL backup qbs to be the most overrated position in the league, just in terms of how if you ever need to rely on them you might as well tank the year. Especially when you have a dog like Burrow who won't come out of the game unless he's suffered something truly catastrophic. There are exceptions to the rule- like Foles or Hostetler or whomever- but I find it's generally true. And I still believe that.

What I don't believe is that my label for them is accurate anymore: the collarbone quarterback, in that that's the one injury where backups could be useful. I stand corrected. There are clearly others. Tweaked calf, for example.

It really depends on the team and scenario.  

If a team has no real playoff aspirations, then plugging a backup in means little.  It might even be an audition for a job on another roster..  At worst it helps a bad team tank for a better pick.  

For a team with title aspirations, it's a little more important to have a guy that can at least win a game or two when the starter misses time.  

They don't necessarily have to pay an expensive vet backup.  They could at the very least draft a mid round rookie to groom in the offense while on an affordable contact.  This is the route I've wanted them to take for the last 2 drafts....
Reply/Quote

Ryan is under contract to to broadcasting, and he's not going to pet out of that to play a couple of games.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2023, 09:49 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Mike Brown has never spent money on a backup QB.  Actually, this is one of the reasons Palmer left (no, it wasn't trash on his lawn).  
We've got $13.4 million in cap space but they're going to play Browning this week.  He had his first pass attempt in the NFL at age 27 last week.

Its pretty evident the Bengals are not serious about the QB position outside of Burrow. Let's face it. JB could be done this year and we need a QB to right the ship, but you know what they say.... wish in one hand,  shit in the other......

Season is over without a win next week.  I say play burrow if he can walk because we have no chance with our backups

Palmer wasnt happy with his Little Bro  at QB?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 01:05 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Palmer wasnt happy with his Little Bro  at QB?

This place gets extremely weird sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2023, 03:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's too late now anyways to sign Foles or Ryan. They aren't learning the offense in 4 days.

Have the Bengals brought in anyone today? IF they thought Joe was going IR, I'd assume they'd be doing that.

They're taking it day-to-day.

0-3 or Burrow getting even worse; someone needs to be fired.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2023, 02:19 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: They're taking it day-to-day.

0-3 or Burrow getting even worse; someone needs to be fired.

If Burrow plays, we have to win.  A 3rd week in a row of him getting extra hurt and getting the L would be a triple whammy.  I can somewhat accept the L if Browning starts, but if we're just gunning for a 10 game winning streak later we need to sit Burrow until we have 10 weeks left, I guess.  Ida know, maybe he'll look ok and we will win and everything will be swell.
Reply/Quote