Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bastard Executioner
Anyone watch the first episode? I love that period in time, and I really like seeing representations of what the houses, castles etc looked like. I usually have to make it up in my head while reading.

I don't really have a take on it yet, but so far I'm not a big fan of the "hero". He came across as very blah. I thought Vampire Bill was decent. In these things I'm always worried about some sort of supernatural aspect, being involved, and I hope that doesn't happen with Peg/Gemma. I don't care if the characters think someone has supernatural powers so long as they don't actually have them.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I heard about the show but it didn't really excite me, and I'm a hobby medievalist. I didn't even bother giving it a try, honestly.

I'm just going to hold out for The Last Kingdom to air in October. If they don't muck it up, that could be a great series.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I watched it mainly because it was written by the guy that wrote SOA. I went from blah, to now it's getting good, back to blah. I will give it at least on more week. My wife wants to watch it and i do not look forward to that; as I am required to explain everything as it happens and most of the content in that first episode you just had to take and not fully understand.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 05:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I heard about the show but it didn't really excite me, and I'm a hobby medievalist. I didn't even bother giving it a try, honestly.

I'm just going to hold out for The Last Kingdom to air in October. If they don't muck it up, that could be a great series.

Yeah can't wait for The Last Kingdom.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 05:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I watched it mainly because it was written by the guy that wrote SOA. I went from blah, to now it's getting good, back to blah. I will give it at least on more week. My wife wants to watch it and i do not look forward to that; as I am required to explain everything as it happens and most of the content in that first episode you just had to take and not fully understand.

Yeah I'm assuming things will be explained.

I just read an historical fiction trilogy about Robert Bruce so this falls at the tail end of that time wise, which is pretty cool for me.

Reply/Quote
I respect Kurt Sutter, a lot. Especially after Sons of Anarchy (I have my wife to think for getting me into SoA). I watched the first episode (really, it was two episodes given that it was 2 hours).

I'm intrigued by the story but I was a little turned off by some of the acting and special effects. Hopefully if the show gets much viewership FX will pump more money into it to up the quality a bit.
Reply/Quote
My wife and I were looking forward to watching it. We thought it was okay and the storyline was good, but like barkerja said, some of the acting and special effects left a little to be desired. We have our DVR set to record it, so I'll probably watch a few more episodes at least.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
I turned the second episode off and canceled future recordings.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Hadnt heard of this. Will check it out. Thanks for posting
Reply/Quote
Didn't even make it past the first episode. Just not really my thing. I made it through 10 minutes of minority report before deleting the timer.
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote