Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bengals 2024 1st round pick - A question to all Mock Drafters
2023 Draft the Bengals took Myles Murphy DE (not to start immediately) but to develop into a possible future Starter/Depth.

2022 Draft the Bengals took Dax Hill Safety (not to start immediately) but to develop to Start in 2023 after a 2022 Starting Safety left.

*The Bengals could repeat this approach and not go after an immediate Starter in 2024 round one but instead get a player in

place to Start at a position for the next year 2025 or 2026. (In place to replace a 2024 or 2025 Starter that they expect will leave)

**If they take this approach in the 2024 Draft;

What position(s) might be a fit to get a 1st round player in place to start say in 2025 after a 2024 Starter leaves ? or 2026 ?

(Name a 1st round rookie & who currently on the Bengals he may be replacing down the road if this approach is used by the Bengals)
Reply/Quote
Byron Murphy for BJ Hill
Latham, Guyton, or Fautanu could fail at RT and move in to LG.
Brian Thomas for Tee Higgins.
Quinyon Mitchell for DJ Turner
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 01:54 AM)depthchart Wrote: 2023 Draft the Bengals took Myles Murphy DE (not to start immediately) but to develop into a possible future Starter/Depth.

2022 Draft the Bengals took Dax Hill Safety (not to start immediately) but to develop to Start in 2023 after a 2022 Starting Safety left.

*The Bengals could repeat this approach and not go after an immediate Starter in 2024 round one but instead get a player in

place to Start at a position for the next year 2025 or 2026. (In place to replace a 2024 or 2025 Starter that they expect will leave)

**If they take this approach in the 2024 Draft;

What position(s) might be a fit to get a 1st round player in place to start say in 2025 after a 2024 Starter leaves ? or 2026 ?

(Name a 1st round rookie & who currently on the Bengals he may be replacing down the road if this approach is used by the Bengals)

Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU could be drafted to replace Tee Higgins in 2025.

Johnny Newton, DT Illinois or Byron Murphy II DT Texas could be drafted to replace BJ Hill in 2025.

Jackson Powers-Johnson OC/OG Oregon could be drafted to replace Ted Karras in 2025.

Terrion Arnold CB Alabama could be drafted to replace Mike Hilton in the slot in 2025 (He joined Alabama as a safety, but has all the tools you'd want for an impact NCB. He also could play outside as well, if they chose to move Dax to NCB in 2025).
The same could be said of Kamari Lassiter CB Georgia, but he would have to climb the ranks a bit before he's worth our first round pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 03:54 AM)puddycat Wrote: Byron Murphy for BJ Hill

(01-31-2024, 09:04 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Brian Thomas Jr. WR LSU could be drafted to replace Tee Higgins in 2025.

Johnny Newton, DT Illinois or Byron Murphy II DT Texas could be drafted to replace BJ Hill in 2025.

Jackson Powers-Johnson OC/OG Oregon could be drafted to replace Ted Karras in 2025.

Terrion Arnold CB Alabama could be drafted to replace Mike Hilton in the slot in 2025 (He joined Alabama as a safety, but has all the tools you'd want for an impact NCB. He also could play outside as well, if they chose to move Dax to NCB in 2025).
The same could be said of Kamari Lassiter CB Georgia, but he would have to climb the ranks a bit before he's worth our first round pick.

Interesting that you both chose Brian Thomas Jr to replace TEE and Byron Murphy II to replace BJ Hill at some point. (WR/DT)

Then you both see a possible Cornerback selected to maybe realign the Secondary & Offensive line prospects . (Corner/G/C/RT)

*The Bengals could be thinking this way versus a Mock Draft mind set that many have of thinking that they will use the 1st round 

pick to try to fill a starting hole right away. (need a TE so take one 1st round -or- need a RT so take one 1st round to start right away)

2024 may be a developing year for a 1st round rookie that sits behind a Starter and this mindset changes what a Mock Draft might look like.
Reply/Quote
Well Cappa 29 and Karras 30 are two of the oldest on the team. Karras would be the oldest if not for Mccarron.

I still think we plug any holes with free agents. So we can say we head into the draft looking BPA. But I don’t expect top tier free agents. More like Nick Scott/Irv Smith level. So we might sign a stop gap RT and still draft an RT in 1.

Could be another safety. Bolster the extremely shallow depth at that spot and allow Dax to move to nickel once Hilton is gone.
Reply/Quote
I think we have too many holes to plug and we need a Rd1 starter this time. Assuming Tee & Reader are back (big if on DJ), we need RT, WR3, and TE starters. Not to mention secondary upgrades/depth and an interior pass rush.

It will almost assuredly be RT (Latham, Fuaga, Mims, Guyton). If ALL those guys are gone, we either trade back (Morris, Suamataia (sp?)) or take DT/CB/WR/TE.

DT: Newton or Murphy
CB: DeJean, Wiggins, Arnold
WR: Thomas
TE: Bowers
NT: Sweat
Reply/Quote
WR (assuming Higgins is tagged)
DT
IOL
RB

You could argue CB too, but only for slot CB replacement of Hilton, and I would not personally spend a 1st round pick on a slot CB, but that's me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 04:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: WR (assuming Higgins is tagged)
DT
IOL
RB

You could argue CB too, but only for slot CB replacement of Hilton, and I would not personally spend a 1st round pick on a slot CB, but that's me.

I see that you included a running back and I assume meaning Mixon comes back in 2024 but the rookie RB is drafted

to replace Mixon say in 2025.  I'm not seeing a running back being given a 1st round grade at this time but that could change

or I am missing it.

Do you see any running backs getting drafted in round one or are you seeing a future Mixon replacement chosen after round 1

in the 2024 draft by the Bengals ?  
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: I see that you included a running back and I assume meaning Mixon comes back in 2024 but the rookie RB is drafted

to replace Mixon say in 2025.  I'm not seeing a running back being given a 1st round grade at this time but that could change

or I am missing it.

Do you see any running backs getting drafted in round one or are you seeing a future Mixon replacement chosen after round 1

I doubt a RB goes in Round 1, but there are a number of good prospects on Day 2 that can potentially share the load or become the feature back by the end of the year.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:07 PM)depthchart Wrote: I see that you included a running back and I assume meaning Mixon comes back in 2024 but the rookie RB is drafted

or I am missing it.

There isn't a RB I would draft at 18th overall, but I was just listing positions with starters entering the final year under contract.
If just focused on Rd 1, it'd be WR, RT, and DT.
I really, really wish the Bengals would have gotten more out of Zach Carter by now though. I liked him but thought he needed about a season or maybe season and a half to get acclimated. I didn't think we'd still be worried about him going into Year 3.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There isn't a RB I would draft at 18th overall, but I was just listing positions with starters entering the final year under contract.
If just focused on Rd 1, it'd be WR, RT, and DT.
I really, really wish the Bengals would have gotten more out of Zach Carter by now though. I liked him but thought he needed about a season or maybe season and a half to get acclimated. I didn't think we'd still be worried about him going into Year 3.

I liked Carter too.

He only weighed 282 pounds at his combine & to me his body looked a little bit like a tweener (between a DT & a DE body type)

BJ Hill by comparison weighed 311 at his Combine.  (29 pounds bigger)

It looks like Carter has put on weight since then.  The Bengals shouldn't rely on Carter getting better and bring in more guys.

If he does get better then that would be a bonus.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:50 PM)depthchart Wrote: I liked Carter too.

He only weighed 282 pounds at his combine & to me his body looked a little bit like a tweener (between a DT & a DE body type)

BJ Hill by comparison weighed 311 at his Combine.  (29 pounds bigger)

It looks like Carter has put on weight since then.  The Bengals shouldn't rely on Carter getting better and bring in more guys.

If he does get better then that would be a bonus.

Carter played at 290 last season, so he's getting bigger.
He played around 280 in college but he was playing all across the DL.
I agree about trying to get more interior pass rush. It's been the lacking area on the DL.
Try to get an interior pass rusher within the first 3-4 rounds.
Doesn't have to be a first rounder though, IMO.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Carter played at 290 last season, so he's getting bigger.
He played around 280 in college but he was playing all across the DL.
I agree about trying to get more interior pass rush. It's been the lacking area on the DL.
Try to get an interior pass rusher within the first 3-4 rounds.
Doesn't have to be a first rounder though, IMO.

Zach Carter was 6 foot 4 and 1/4 inches tall at his combine and 282 pounds.

Geno Atkins weighed 293 at his Combine but at 6 foot 1 and 3/8 height.

BJ Hill weighed 311 and 6 foot 3 and 1/4

Aaron Donald weighed 285 but only 6 foot and 3/4 inches tall. (A Fire Hydrant)

*Carter seems tall like many Defensive Ends but he is playing DT where many guys his height weigh more 

while many others are shorter while at his weight or heavier.

Carter may have been a little bit of a project DT prospect that they hoped to mold into the position.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 06:13 PM)depthchart Wrote: Carter may have been a little bit of a project DT prospect that they hoped to mold into the position.

Without question he was a bit of a project. No "may" about it.
But he did produce very well at Florida as a move-around guy along that DL.
I'm pretty confident the Bengals thought they could get good use out of him as a pass rusher and could mold him into a full-time IDL with some time and added weight.
It was going to take time, but perhaps maybe too long (if at all).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
First round pick to take place of a starter is Newton over BJ Hill. Bengals seemingly have holes on both sides of line that is unsettling. Reader needs to be replace, if he can be replaced it would be Sweat or McKinnley-Jackson. I think Capp did not have a great year and needs to be replaced, not by first rounder but man Jackson-Powers or Glaze would be great.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 03:54 AM)puddycat Wrote: Byron Murphy for BJ Hill

to clarify: draftees could replace WR3, TE, RB or IOL, but they wouldn't be drafted in round 1.  IMO if Newton was drafted he would replace BJ Hill this year.  And I'm not sure that a 1st round CB would start year 1 either.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 07:12 PM)puddycat Wrote: to clarify: draftees could replace WR3, TE, RB or IOL, but they wouldn't be drafted in round 1.  IMO if Newton was drafted he would replace BJ Hill this year.  And I'm not sure that a 1st round CB would start year 1 either.

They could very well draft a WR in the 1st to replace Boyd, especially if Higgins is tagged.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 05:12 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: First round pick to take place of a starter is Newton over BJ Hill.  Bengals seemingly have holes on both sides of line that is unsettling.  Reader needs to be replace, if he can be replaced it would be Sweat or McKinnley-Jackson.  I think Capp did not have a great year and needs to be replaced, not by first rounder but man Jackson-Powers or Glaze would be great.

I dont think Cappa is going anywhere, he has 2 years on his contract and he has been our best oline man before this year.  JPJ is likely a 1st Rounder after this week, great player.

Reply/Quote