Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bengals ARE Getting “There.”
The Cincinnati Bengals aren’t quite “there” yet but they ARE getting “there.”

Where is “there,” you ask?

“There” was definitely seen in the Super Bowl seasons and even a few times in the Marvin Lewis era. “There” is when the Bengals were legitimately favored to win, won more than they lost, and especially won convincingly over lesser teams. Those were good times, my fellow Board members, and if Zac Taylor will get out of his own way I believe such times will resurface.

Right now every game is an unknown. I can’t say the Bengals are heavily favored on any Sunday in 2021 but neither are they a patsy for anyone. At this point every game appears to be a toss-up in my opinion. For two quarters last Thursday evening the Bengals played down to the Jacksonville Jaguars which was an occasional feature of Marvin’s tenure and something we’ve seen all too often with Zac. That can’t happen again. I’m happy the Bengals caught fire in the second half but the team can’t rely on this week after week.

When I see the Bengals curb stomp most opponents, put their boot on their necks for all 60 minutes, and blow the game open by halftime I know they will be “there” again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree; As with the OL starting to look like a professional unit, the defense taking shape with the LBs taking a huge step forward, to compliment Joe B. and the deadly array of skill players, this team is going to ruin another team or two's dream before it's all over.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This roster has improved dramatically. They really needed to hit on some drafts because they talent level of the roster was abysmal a few years ago other than the old Marvin leftovers. Give credit where it's due, they've hit on most of their moves.

If the young guys keep improving with this trajectory, watch out. Other than some OL help, a top notch Edge, and a legit #1 corner, there are very few holes. That is no where near as daunting as it was in 2019 when they legitimately had holes EVERYWHERE.

Burrow was and remains the key. If he takes the steps to become an elite top 5 QB....there's no ceiling to what they can accomplish.
Reply/Quote
They are a year away I feel.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:36 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: They are a year away I feel.

A year away with the right moves being made. Gotta be smart in this years draft and continue to be involved in free agency. They do it right, and indeed next season could be the make some noise season.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 09:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree; this team is going to ruin another team or two's dream before it's all over.

That’s a superb assessment. I harbor no illusions the 2021 Bengals are headed to the postseason but they’ll be a spoiler for sure. Playing the AFC West is brutal this year because all four teams are terrific. At present I don’t see a win against Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Denver, or even Kansas City.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:43 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s a superb assessment.  I harbor no illusions the 2021 Bengals are headed to the postseason but they’ll be a spoiler for sure.  Playing the AFC West is brutal this year because all four teams are terrific.  At present I don’t see a win against Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Denver, or even Kansas City.

Yeah the back half of the schedule is not fun.

And a trip to Denver in December, just looks brutal. High altitude, good defense and crap weather. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 07:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals aren’t quite “there” yet but they ARE getting “there.”

Where is “there,” you ask?

“There” was definitely seen in the Super Bowl seasons and even a few times in the Marvin Lewis era.  “There” is when the Bengals were legitimately favored to win, won more than they lost, and especially won convincingly over lesser teams.  Those were good times, my fellow Board members, and if Zac Taylor will get out of his own way I believe such times will resurface.

Right now every game is an unknown.  I can’t say the Bengals are heavily favored on any Sunday in 2021 but neither are they a patsy for anyone.   At this point every game appears to be a toss-up in my opinion.  For two quarters last Thursday evening the Bengals played down to the Jacksonville Jaguars which was an occasional feature of Marvin’s tenure and something we’ve seen all too often with Zac. That can’t happen again.  I’m happy the Bengals caught fire in the second half but the team can’t rely on this week after week.

When I see the Bengals curb stomp most opponents, put their boot on their necks for all 60 minutes, and blow the game open by halftime I know they will be “there” again.

This has the makings of the 2011 sneak into the playoffs team.  The difference is Burrow throws at a high percentage and is already leading to clutch wins.  Banking on the defense continuing to pressure and the OL staying healthy.  If this happens, they'll get a wild card, and any sort of run game to help Burrow is icing on the cake.  
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:36 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: They are a year away I feel.

I agree.

This year is just for “fun” basically. We’re seeing things take shape. Next season I’m going to have some real expectations (at least a playoff win).

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 11:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I agree.

This year is just for “fun” basically. We’re seeing things take shape. Next season I’m going to have some real expectations (at least a playoff win).

There are still some critical pieces missing here and there — dominant running back, head coach who knows how to use tight ends — but this is the best roster the Bengals have had since 2015.

I think you’re right about the Bengals being a year away from becoming truly competitive — maybe two.
Reply/Quote
It's tough to tell where they end up at season's end. Any one of the teams we face, maybe all of them can falter any way along the through this season. The Bengals might falter too, but they are definitely trending up. One thing I do like is Joe Burrow as good as he is really looks like a kid out there and he's really kicking asses. What that means, if the Bengals can keep him long term is we might just have the greatest QB of a generation or more for a very long time.. GREATEST? Maybe not, but he certainly isn't going to look like a haggard old man any time soon. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 11:17 PM)grampahol Wrote: It's tough to tell where they end up at season's end. Any one of the teams we face, maybe all of them can falter any way along the through this season. The Bengals might falter too, but they are definitely trending up. One thing I do like is Joe Burrow as good as he is really looks like a kid out there and he's really kicking asses. What that means, if the Bengals can keep him long term is we might just have the greatest QB of a generation or more for a very long time.. GREATEST? Maybe not, but he certainly isn't going to look like a haggard old man any time soon. ThumbsUp

The best way to keep Joe Burrow in Cincinnati is to win and inculcate a culture of excellence. Like Andy Dalton and Carson Palmer before, Joe Burrow hadn’t been on a losing team since playing PeeWee. Andy Dalton had the patience of Job but Carson Palmer didn’t — and I suspect Joe Burrow doesn’t like being hit, sacked, hurried, or injured any more than Carson did. Andy was a second round pick but Joe and Carson have the #1OA “cred” to confront Mike Brown.

I predicted when Joe Burrow was drafted he would end up with the Saints after his rookie contract was up if the Bengals weren’t winning by then. I still stand by that.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 11:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The best way to keep Joe Burrow in Cincinnati is to win and inculcate a culture of excellence.  Like Andy Dalton and Carson Palmer before, Joe Burrow hadn’t been on a losing team since playing PeeWee.  Andy Dalton had the patience of Job but Carson Palmer didn’t — and I suspect Joe Burrow doesn’t like being hit, sacked, hurried, or injured any more than Carson did.  Andy was a second round pick but Joe and Carson have the #1OA “cred” to confront Mike Brown.  

I predicted when Joe Burrow was drafted he would end up with the Saints after his rookie contract was up if the Bengals weren’t winning by then.  I still stand by that.

To easy of a prediction. If they're not winning and he's getting pounded game after game he could potentially end up in Pittsburgh.. Then I would have to hate him forevermore..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Agree again FIK, but putting the emphasis on 'THERE' being pre-1991.

Why?

Because any 'there' from 1991 on still leaves the franchise with the dreaded shooting themselves in the foot scenario, no matter HOW good they appear in the season.

I think the best example for that was 2015. They go 8-0, and then the eventual dreaded broken thumb.

They overcame that, finished 12-4, had the Steelers dead in the water in the playoff game, with Burfict's pick, and still find a way to lose!

Yes, the fan base should not settle for ANY 'THERE' until a playoff game is won and an eventful Lombardi!

Just saying.
Reply/Quote
I'm tired of hearing next year. Live in the moment. The team is 3-1. I don't believe many of us thought that would happen.
Reply/Quote
I think they can beat Denver, and probably would at home. Not sure how the altitude will affect them. Just walking through their airport gave me chest pains. I also am not ready to concede the KC game. Their O line has been exposed and they aren't the same team they were a year or 2 ago. They are currently 2-2 with losses to the Ravens and San Diego and wins over the Browns and Eagles. I think that game will be a toss up.
Reply/Quote
It's easy to think that they are getting "there" after starting 3-1, but remember that the 2018 team started 4-1 before ultimately ending the season at 6-10 due to a tougher schedule and injuries.

Obviously, if the Bengals end up with a winning record this year, they are well on their way to building something good.

But what about if they end up just under .500 with a record of 7-10 or 8-9? Is that record good enough to give fans confidence that Taylor will get "there"?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Y’all of little faith.

This year. Right now.

There’s no reason they can’t make noise immediately. We don’t and shouldn’t have to wait through some abstract period of development to reach an even more vague state of “great”. Teams flip from awful to conference-leading contenders every single year. It usually happens because a quarterback blows up.

My expectations are for right now. They have been all year. 3-1 shouldn’t be surprising.
Reply/Quote
Barring injuries to our impact players, we are "there"
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 11:10 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There are still some critical pieces missing here and there — dominant running back, head coach who knows how to use tight ends ...

Ummm, did you miss the Thursday night game vs. Jacksonville?
Reply/Quote