Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bengals ARE Getting “There.”
(10-07-2021, 10:46 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Ummm, did you miss the Thursday night game vs. Jacksonville?

Yeah, weird timing to make that complaint.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 10:46 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Ummm, did you miss the Thursday night game vs. Jacksonville?

(10-07-2021, 10:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, weird timing to make that complaint.

I saw the entirety of the Thursday Night game and I’m pleased Joe Burrow connected so well with tight end CJ Uzomah. However, I cannot use a single snapshot in history to erase a disturbing trend which has extended over Zac Taylor’s tenure as head coach.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 10:05 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Y’all of little faith.

This year. Right now.

There’s no reason they can’t make noise immediately. We don’t and shouldn’t have to wait through some abstract period of development to reach an even more vague state of “great”. Teams flip from awful to conference-leading contenders every single year. It usually happens because a quarterback blows up.

My expectations are for right now. They have been all year. 3-1 shouldn’t be surprising.

That's what I'm Saying!!!
Reply/Quote
Before he got hurt last year Burrow WAS using Uzomah in the passing game. And both Burrow and Uzomah are healthy and....he again is using Uzomah in the passing game.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 12:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I saw the entirety of the Thursday Night game and I’m pleased Joe Burrow connected so well with tight end CJ Uzomah.  However, I cannot use a single snapshot in history to erase a disturbing trend which has extended over Zac Taylor’s tenure as head coach.

In 2019 Bengals were 11th in receptions by TEs.
Reply/Quote
I really feel sorry for the fans out there who can not enjoy big regular season wins until they know if we win a playoff game that year.

Personally I REALLY enjoy big regular season wins. I celebrate them instead of whining about how regular season wins are meaningless.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 12:59 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I saw the entirety of the Thursday Night game and I’m pleased Joe Burrow connected so well with tight end CJ Uzomah.  However, I cannot use a single snapshot in history to erase a disturbing trend which has extended over Zac Taylor’s tenure as head coach.

Last year, through 2 games, CJ had 11 targets before getting hurt. Sample had another 53 throughout the season and he was primarily used as a blocker due to skillet as well as the Oline being epically bad. 

64 targets between your TEs isn't THAT terrible especially when your main receiving TE is hurt and you're needing to keep the TE in to help block. Gronk saw 77 targets last year and he's freaking Gronk. 

Kittle and Kelce are huge outliers as far as how many receptions TE get. Also, it's really hard for TE to get that many targets and stay healthy. See Gronk, Kittle, Eifert, Daniels, etc.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 11:10 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There are still some critical pieces missing here and there — dominant running back, head coach who knows how to use tight ends — but this is the best roster the Bengals have had since 2015.  

I think you’re right about the Bengals being a year away from becoming truly competitive — maybe two.

People really need to put this to rest. The route design for TEs isn't a problem when they have a TE that's capable of producing in the scheme. When the ball is snapped, it's up to Burrow to use the TE effectively. Jax game wasn't an anomaly. It's what the TE can do in this offense when the opportunity presents itself and Burrow does what he's supposed to do. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

What disturbing trend? In 2019 the TEs were targeted 112 times. 77 receptions for 721 yards and 6 touchdowns. CJ was injured last year and the Bengals didn't have any kind of real threat to speak of. 

For comparison, in 2015, the TEs were targeted 102 times. 72 receptions for 847 yards and 14 touchdowns. Eifert's TDs were an anomaly.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 09:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I really feel sorry for the fans out there who can not enjoy big regular season wins until they know if we win a playoff game that year.

Personally I REALLY enjoy big regular season wins.  I celebrate them instead of whining about how regular season wins are meaningless.

They don't really become meaningless until the season is over and "meaningless" is a bit of a strong term. I'm sure almost all Bengals fans enjoy big regular season wins when they happen. After the fact, they become less "important" because the season ended once again without a playoff win. 

Reply/Quote