Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Bengals Don't Invest All Their Resources Into Winning. The Steelers Do.
(12-11-2017, 01:34 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Everybody wants to win, just like everybody wants to be rich. 

Not all are winners in life or football. 

Sure, everyone wants to. Not all organizations take the steps to maximize their chances of competing year in/year out. The Bengals do not. The Steelers do. Mike Brown manages the team to maximize profits, not chances for a Super Bowl.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:07 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Sure, everyone wants to.  Not all organizations take the steps to maximize their chances of competing year in/year out.  The Bengals do not.  The Steelers do.  Mike Brown manages the team to maximize profits, not chances for a Super Bowl.

Duh, big red truck. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yep... Steelers' handling of resigning Decastro year before he hit free agency compared to Bengals letting Zeitler walk in free agency sums up these franchises. Steelers are winners and it starts at the top. Bengals are a second rate organization and it also starts at top.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:05 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Pittsburgh’s organizational approach pays off again with the 2017 AFC North championship, a shot at home field, and a possible 7th Super Bowl title.

Cincinnati’s organizational approach pays off again with Mike Brown reducing salary costs, pocketing all the excess cap money, milking the county, paying the family handsomely to be football “experts”, and winning another financial title while the team watches the Playoffs from the comfort of their homes.

(12-11-2017, 02:22 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Duh, big red truck. 

Well actually, both organizations are winners. The owners and front office just have different ideas about what “winning” is. Mike Brown would have the greatest dynasty sports have ever known if games by the system to maximize profits had a trophy. 26 championship years in a row!
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 09:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's as simple as that. As fans, we look for conspiracies or luck as the reason. They just have a better roster and better management/coaching. They're superior to us.

It's been 26+ years since we've won a playoff game. We're not well managed. Yet EVERY offseason we expect that this will be our year. In our 50 years as a franchise, we've had 3 seasons where we've won playoff games and 5 total playoff wins.

The Steelers have a smart GM. They have a large scouting staff. They have good ownership. They hold their coaches accountable for performance.

With less cap space than the Bengals, the Steelers:
-Extended Brown
-Extended Tuitt
-Extended Villanueva
-Re-signed DeCastro (Yes a GUARD for $10 million a year who they ran behind a lot today)
-They franchise tagged Bell
-They signed Haden

The Bengals
-Let Whitworth walk
-Let Zeitler walk without an offer. (They supposedly offered him $5.5 million to do an extension at some point which is an extreme lowball.)
-Signed Minter to a 1 year deal
-Extended Burfict
-Signed a RT in Andre Smith to play Guard. We had about $21 million in cap space at this point.

Which team is more committed to winning?

The teams are totally ran different. Steelers management and fans expect a Super Bowl EVERY YEAR. Anything less is a disappointment.

Do you think a coach would stay coaching the Steelers if he was 0-7 in the playoffs there?

Would any GM who hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years still have a job?

Every owner says they want to win a Super Bowl...but they vary in the degree in which they align their resources with that goal. The Bengals dip their toe in the water.

This is what ownership who wants to win does. The Steelers could have just not signed Haden and make more profits...but no...they wanted to win.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 09:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals don't value Guard and Center and won't invest in it financially.

Meanwhile...some NFL teams actually value Guard more than Tackle as Guards are becoming that important.

Not recently, but they have invested 2 first round picks (Johnson and Rimington) and at least a 2nd round (Blair Bush) pick over the years.

I think it's a timing thing.  But they have not spent the money in retaining good guards (Montoya, Steinbach, Zeitler) which I think is a mistake.

They also do not place a premium on safeties.   Casanova and Madieu Williams are the only highly rated safeties I think we've drafted as high as the 2nd round.  I think Sam Shade was a 3rd rounder?  Don't know.

I look at the Steelers and when they find a stud at almost any position they go for it - sometimes trading up (Pouncy, DeCastro, Polamalu).  I think we just need to really go with the best player available.  We say we do, but I'm not sure.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:40 PM)3wt Wrote: Not recently, but they have invested 2 first round picks (Johnson and Rimington) and at least a 2nd round (Blair Bush) pick over the years.

I think it's a timing thing.  But they have not spent the money in retaining good guards (Montoya, Steinbach, Zeitler) which I think is a mistake.

They also do not place a premium on safeties.   Casanova and Madieu Williams are the only highly rated safeties I think we've drafted as high as the 2nd round.  I think Sam Shade was a 3rd rounder?  Don't know.

I look at the Steelers and when they find a stud at almost any position they go for it - sometimes trading up (Pouncy, DeCastro, Polamalu).  I think we just need to really go with the best player available.  We say we do, but I'm not sure.

Plus, the Steelers keep their guys and do more with less cap space than we do.

We always use the...we need to retain cap space for future free agents excuse.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 09:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals don't value Guard and Center and won't invest in it financially.

Meanwhile...some NFL teams actually value Guard more than Tackle as Guards are becoming that important.

I've been saying this for awhile now.  I actually think the middle of the line is much more important than the tackles these days.

We operate out of the shotgun most of the time.  
We can't run the ball.
We should be able to help tackles on pass plays if necessary, it's a little harder to do with pressure coming up the middle.
The NFL is changing, I really believe that the center is pretty damn important as well. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: kick_it.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Can we stop with the thread necromancy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure if THE PISTONS is retired or what, but this guy has endless time to retroactively hate the Bengals. I'm not sure that being a fan in this manner is healthy.

Do you retread your old high school flings as well?

Just realized this thread is from 2017, you dug this up to prove you were spot on, as usual? Please by all means, make some more cryptic threads that I can read a few years down the road!
Reply/Quote
Pistons, it might just very well be a new leaf turned here. It’s almost like you got divorced to a very ugly woman and your on a date with a beautiful, hot girl who is trying to please you, but you keep bitching about your ex and missing the moment? I get it trust me. But maybe you should just roll around in the now and see how it works out?

Just sayin.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2019, 09:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Can we stop with the thread necromancy.

I mean seriously... what's next, his hot take on the Bengals looking to replace Hue Jackson at OC? Free Agents to target in the 2016 offseason? Should the Bengals draft Joe Mixon?

Is this just "hey look, I don't just whine nonstop these days, I was always like this", or what?
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 09:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's as simple as that. As fans, we look for conspiracies or luck as the reason. They just have a better roster and better management/coaching. They're superior to us.

It's been 26+ years since we've won a playoff game. We're not well managed. Yet EVERY offseason we expect that this will be our year. In our 50 years as a franchise, we've had 3 seasons where we've won playoff games and 5 total playoff wins.

The Steelers have a smart GM. They have a large scouting staff. They have good ownership. They hold their coaches accountable for performance.

With less cap space than the Bengals, the Steelers:
-Extended Brown
-Extended Tuitt
-Extended Villanueva
-Re-signed DeCastro (Yes a GUARD for $10 million a year who they ran behind a lot today)
-They franchise tagged Bell
-They signed Haden

The Bengals
-Let Whitworth walk
-Let Zeitler walk without an offer. (They supposedly offered him $5.5 million to do an extension at some point which is an extreme lowball.)
-Signed Minter to a 1 year deal
-Extended Burfict
-Signed a RT in Andre Smith to play Guard. We had about $21 million in cap space at this point.

Which team is more committed to winning?

The teams are totally ran different. Steelers management and fans expect a Super Bowl EVERY YEAR. Anything less is a disappointment.

Do you think a coach would stay coaching the Steelers if he was 0-7 in the playoffs there?

Would any GM who hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years still have a job?

Every owner says they want to win a Super Bowl...but they vary in the degree in which they align their resources with that goal. The Bengals dip their toe in the water.

So is what the Steelers doing now like the Bengals, don't sign Bell, looking to trade Brown, losing players to FA, woo hoo
Reply/Quote
The Steelers have won atleast 8 games a year since 2004. They've won atleast 10 games 10 times since 2004.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 02:48 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So is what the Steelers doing now like the Bengals, don't sign Bell, looking to trade Brown, losing players to FA, woo hoo

I am loving what is going on in Pittsburgh.

Antonio Brown has gone full blown DIVA & is making Terrell Owens proud.

Antonio wants to be known as "Mr Big Chest" and his latest interview was so self absorbed that it is likely driving down his trade value.

He said he has so much money that he doesn't need Football and teams will have to accept that he will play on his own terms.

Steeler fans are getting to experience this Circus while Big Ben gets older each day.

Love it. :heart:
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 03:31 PM)depthchart Wrote: I am loving what is going on in Pittsburgh.

Antonio Brown has gone full blown DIVA & is making Terrell Owens proud.

Antonio wants to be known as "Mr Big Chest" and his latest interview was so self absorbed that it is likely driving down his trade value.

He said he has so much money that he doesn't need Football and teams will have to accept that he will play on his own terms.

Steeler fans are getting to experience this Circus while Big Ben gets older each day.

Love it. :heart:

I'd love for nothing more than the Steelers to go 4-12.

But, if they do, just watch a franchise QB fall to them that is great for the next 12 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 02:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Steelers have won atleast 8 games a year since 2004. They've won atleast 10 games 10 times since 2004.

Go be a fan of them, then. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:40 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Go be a fan of them, then. 

It would make sense to actually a follow a team that wins, spends money, has a practice facility, wins Super Bowls.

But, I'm a loyal Bengals fan! Our time is coming!
Reply/Quote