Poll: should the Bengals draft, trade for or sign a backup who has the potential to take over the starting job when Andy's current contract is up?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should our backup QB for 2019 be future starter quality or just backup quality?
Clearly Driskel is not going to be a starter in the NFL and he might not even be a backup quality QB.

But for 2019, should the Bengals draft, trade for or sign a backup who has the potential to take over the starting job when Andy's current contract is up?

Examples would be trading for Josh Rosen, drafting a player like Finley or Daniel Jones, or signing some QB on a prove it deal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I don't see using any valuable resources on a QB this year.  Dalton has 2 years left on the contract and I think 1 year is plenty of time to groom a replacement.

So maybe take a flyer on a 4th round or later pick this year if the value is there at QB, but no need to reach just to take a back up QB.

Unless Dalton has a career year in 2019 that would lead to another automatic extension we should look at drafting a back up who has legitimate starter potential next year.  That would mean using a higher pick.

No starter quality free agent is going to sign here with Dalton having 2 more years on his contract.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:52 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Clearly Driskel is not going to be a starter in the NFL and he might not even be a backup quality QB.

But for 2019, should the Bengals draft, trade for or sign a backup who has the potential to take over the starting job when Andy's current contract is up?

Examples would be trading for Josh Rosen, drafting a player like Finley or Daniel Jones, or signing some QB on a prove it deal.

Interesting question.  Should the backup be a guy who can take the stater's job and keep it warm till the starter gets back or should he be a guy who can take the starter's job and keep it?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see using any valuable resources on a QB this year.  Dalton has 2 years left on the contract and I think 1 year is plenty of time to groom a replacement.

So maybe take a flyer on a 4th round or later pick this year if the value is there at QB, but no need to reach just to take a back up QB.

Unless Dalton has a career year in 2019 that would lead to another automatic extension we should look at drafting a back up who has legitimate starter potential.  That would mean using a higher pick.

No starter quality free agent is going to sign here with Dalton having 2 more years on his contract.

I wasn't thinking about using our 1st or 2nd round picks and probably should have said that.

Reply/Quote
I'd look for a guy in the 3rd or 4th like Grier who we can develop.

Dalton is still young enough that he could be our QB for 5-6 more years so no urgency to replace him, but it would be nice to have a guy on a rookie deal able to step in for a few games if need be.
Reply/Quote
I voted no. There are too many other pieces needed, before considering a QB change. The premise of getting a "guy for the future" is not worth wasting a high pick, trading away anything of value, or really worth spending much cap space on in my opinion. Andy is on a very manageable contract, and is quite competent as the leader.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in a backup with starting experience, capable of starting for a couple games, should Andy get dinged up.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now, I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in a backup with starting experience, capable of starting for a couple games, should Andy get dinged up.

This.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Fitzpatrick?
Reply/Quote
I wouldnt mind them taking a QB in the 3rd or later. If you read the draft section you know I'm big on Jarrett Stidham.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fitzpatrick?

Fitzpatrick was torching the league, while Winston was out.  Then, he almost lead Tampa to a full comeback versus the Bengals, after Winston got benched.  Sure, I'd have him back.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:14 PM)Synric Wrote: I wouldnt mind them taking a QB in the 3rd or later. If you read the draft section you know I'm big on Jarrett Stidham.

Not a Grier fan? I thought you'd like him.

What's your take on Grier?
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fitzpatrick was torching the league, while Winston was out.  Then, he almost lead Tampa to a full comeback versus the Bengals, after Winston got benched.  Sure, I'd have him back.

He's a consummate Pro also. Good locker room guy.
Reply/Quote
I would consider it; I would look into Andy's trade value before I inked him in as a starter though.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Driskel proved he's not a starter, but with the full compliment of weapons and even a league-average offensive line, he's a perfect backup.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd look for a guy in the 3rd or 4th like Grier who we can develop.

Dalton is still young enough that he could be our QB for 5-6 more years so no urgency to replace him, but it would be nice to have a guy on a rookie deal able to step in for a few games if need be.

I like Grier as well. 
Question...is there anything you see that Grier can't do that Dalton does?
He seems rather accurate and a good enough arm to make deep throws, although I need to watch some games of his to see how severe his reported slow release actually is. He's about the same size as Dalton.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote