Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
The Bengals did it right at OT
Obviously a lot of talk about the oline and everyone can see it is a work in progress. However, the one constant comment I see that doesn't seem to be based on reality is that the Bengals didn't "address" the oline.

In 2015 we realized that Whit was getting a little long in the tooth and Andre Smith was on the final year of his contract. So we draft 2 OTs in each of the first 2 rounds of the draft. Despite the amateur experts in this forum both were considered high draft choices and great prospects. Both were All Americans their final year (Walter Camp/Football writers).

The plan was perfect. Give Ced a "red shirt" year to heal while we didn't need him and let Jake get experience all along the oline. Andre leaves in 2016 and Ced is ready to get his feet wet at RT. He's not ready and gets benched. Understanding that their top prospect may not be ready for primetime they offer a 35 year old Whit a lucrative 1 year deal; unfortunately, LA was willing to employ him until he was 38. The Bengals could not wait that long to try and get return on their investments.

Will Ced and Jake work out? Who knows. But sometimes you have to crack a couple eggs to make an omelet.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Quote:In 2015 we realize Whit was getting a little long in the tooth...
2012: Pro Bowl
2014: 2nd Team All-Pro
2015: Pro Bowl, 1st Team All-Pro
2016: Pro Bowl

I've read enough...
[Image: ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Agreed. The Bengals seemed to have had a plan for the future of the OLine. So far it is a giant failure, but they seem to be dead set on riding this out. It would be nice if they considered upgrading the interior OLine. Especially at least making contract offers to first round picks, but baby steps.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are losing so bad that some fans think they are winning.

Maybe some threads will pop up about how other teams are trying to copy the Bengals offensive line building strategy.
Reply/Quote
I was OK letting Zeitler go for ridiculous money for a guard. He honestly is not that good.

They never should have let Whit walk. Absolutely no excuse.

Bodine should have been cut three years ago.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals tried to do it right.  Thus far, their efforts appear to be failure.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:30 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 2012: Pro Bowl
2014: 2nd Team All-Pro
2015: Pro Bowl, 1st Team All-Pro
2016: Pro Bowl

I've read enough...
[Image: ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif]

In 2006 Willie Anderson was a First-team All Pro RT for the Bengals in 2009 he was out of football. Father time is undefeated. The Bengals were looking toward the future not reflecting on the past; as you have done. 

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Obviously a lot of talk about the oline and everyone can see it is a work in progress. However, the one constant comment I see that doesn't seem to be based on reality is that the Bengals didn't "address" the oline.

In 2015 we realized that Whit was getting a little long in the tooth and Andre Smith was on the final year of his contract. So we draft 2 OTs in each of the first 2 rounds of the draft. Despite the amateur experts in this forum both were considered high draft choices and great prospects. Both were All Americans their final year (Walter Camp/Football writers).

The plan was perfect. Give Ced a "red shirt" year to heal while we didn't need him and let Jake get experience all along the oline. Andre leaves in 2016 and Ced is ready to get his feet wet at RT. He's not ready and gets benched. Understanding that their top prospect may not be ready for primetime they offer a 35 year old Whit a lucrative 1 year deal; unfortunately, LA was willing to employ him until he was 38. The Bengals could not wait that long to try and get return on their investments.

Will Ced and Jake work out? Who knows. But sometimes you have to crack a couple eggs to make an omelet.

I keep reading on these boards how the draft is a crapshoot. I've read that 50% of 1st Round picks don't work out.

So the Bengals decided to replace 2 good to great tackles with draft picks...AND HAVE NO BACKUP PLAN IF ONE FAILED. Furthermore, saving all that money on tackles, they decided to let our best Guard go.

Then, they realized Ced wasn't the answer, so they walked around the combine telling people that Whitworth was coming back...and took it for granted that he was...and he signed with the Rams.

Then, with $18.6 million in cap space...and knowing that Ced wasn't the answer...what do they do? They bring Andre Smith back to compete for a spot at Guard.

Their refusal to use free agency to address needs keeps hurting us over and over and over. All for comp picks!
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:36 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I was OK letting Zeitler go for ridiculous money for a guard. He honestly is not that good.

They never should have let Whit walk. Absolutely no excuse.

Bodine should have been cut three years ago.

They let him hit free agency thus he got ridiculous money. They could have tried to extend him the year before. They could have also tagged him. They had the cap space.

They didn't even try to retain him. They don't value Guard or Center.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:38 AM)bfine32 Wrote: In 2006 Willie Anderson was a First-team All Pro RT for the Bengals in 2009 he was out of football. Father time is undefeated. The Bengals were looking toward the future not reflecting on the past; as you have done. 

The Bengals wanted Whitworth back. They thought he was coming back this year. He's playing well for the Rams.

You are posting a revisionist story that the Bengals wanted him to leave. They wanted to retain him and botched it.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Bengals tried to do it right.  Thus far, their efforts appear to be failure.

Oh this thread is not about how they are currently performing it is about the steps they took. If Ced doesn't improve (I'm in the vast minority that is willing to give him a little more than 2 games against 2 of the best QB rushing teams in the NFL) they may have to look for a stop-gap and try again. 

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals wanted Whitworth back. They thought he was coming back this year. He's playing well for the Rams.

You are posting a revisionist story that the Bengals wanted him to leave. They wanted to retain him and botched it.

In the OP I said they wanted him back, not sure where you got I said they wanted him to leave. They just weren't willing to commit to age 38. 

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Obviously a lot of talk about the oline and everyone can see it is a work in progress. However, the one constant comment I see that doesn't seem to be based on reality is that the Bengals didn't "address" the oline.

Yes. As far as the franchises' plan, I agree: it was the way it should be done with new O-linemen.

Unfortunately, Ced is looking like a less talented Tony Mandarich.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
They had a plan that I did not agree with because it was not a need that season and the team was good enough that the right starter could have pushed us over the top.

But let's put that aside and go with their plan. Which was a good one for the future even if it helped nothing that year.

Then we all found out last season that the picks were not very good and was punishing our QB, RB's, and entire offense.

It was time to readdress this immediately especially after losing two lineman who only gave up 3 sacks between them out of the 45 the line gave up.

It was not and Andre was brought in as a ruse of doing something at last minute even though he hardly played the last two years and was off and on even in his prime.

It should have been dealt with better through draft or FA if for depth only even if one believed they would find a miracle potion and make the line good overnight after dismissing your leaders and best players.

This was a debacle. It can be argued that the selections were the right move (do not agree) at time.

But it definitely needed addressed again and still does.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:45 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yes. As far as the franchises' plan, I agree: it was the way it should be done with new O-linemen.

Unfortunately, Ced is looking like a less talented Tony Mandarich.

Oh, it happens. Even that smart team that took Whit from us had to do so because a LT they drafted high and hoped to be the franchise turned out to be a total bust.

As I said, we may have to do the same, but you have to try. 

Reply/Quote
The first readjustment should be firing Alexander.

But MB loves him and will probably promote him to HC next year.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals wanted Whitworth back. They thought he was coming back this year. He's playing well for the Rams.

He also claimed they offered him a "lucrative 1 year deal" but that's also BS. They offered him 1yr/$9m. The Rams deal guarantees him $15m, or a little over $170k more than the franchise tag was.

Amazing how the Steelers can come into an offseason with less cap space than the Bengals and give Antonio Brown at $17m/yr extension, sign Stephon Tuitt to a $12m/yr deal, sign Joe Haden to a $9m/yr deal, and STILL franchise tag Le'Veon Bell at $12.75m.... yet the Bengals are constantly poor and out of cap space, so they can't afford to keep one of the best LT in the game, while instead giving the job to one of the worst LT in the game.

Bfine is a well known Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis/Paul Alexander apologist.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:51 AM)Go Cards Wrote: The first readjustment should be firing Alexander.

But MB loves him and will probably promote him to HC next year.

Oh, I agree. I have been calling for the removal of PA for a number of years, but he will be here as long as Mike Brown is around. 

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 11:53 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bfine is a well known Mike Brown/Marvin Lewis/Paul Alexander apologist.

Perhaps not as well known as I'd like; as I am constantly speaking out against MB and PA. 

Reply/Quote
Taking two tackles in the 1st and 2nd round was fine. Taking one in the first round that was already going to miss most if not all of the upcoming season was a risky move that wasn't necessary to do. Especially when it has become apparent they are putting are their eggs in the basket for him, and that risky move will set them back an extra year to replace him when that time comes.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote