Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Bengals drafted a ton of freaks
(05-01-2023, 03:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yeah, me wanting more out of the slot than 3 catches a game is pretty unsesible...especially given the attention that Higgins and Chase get.

Boyd should have FEASTED last year.

This offense is a middle of the field recieving threat away from being unstopable. An aging Boyd who doesnt get much seperation anymore isn't the answer.

I get what you're saying. I was surprised that Boyd didn't have a bigger year last year. I think the bigger problem was he kept getting banged up. I don't have an official record of such things, but I think he left in the middle of at least 3 games, including the AFCCG. At the very least, he left the Browns game with his finger and the AFCCG with his thigh. And, with him out, Irwin came in and it just wasn't good enough. If nothing else, Jones offers a legitimate threat from the slot in the case that Boyd goes down with an injury in an important game. 

He also hasn't had an 1000 yard season since Burrow has been here, even before Chase was drafted. He's a good slot and a reliable target, but I definitely think this is his last year in stripes unless he wants to sign a super cheap deal for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 03:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I get what you're saying. I was surprised that Boyd didn't have a bigger year last year. I think the bigger problem was he kept getting banged up. I don't have an official record of such things, but I think he left in the middle of at least 3 games, including the AFCCG. At the very least, he left the Browns game with his finger and the AFCCG with his thigh. And, with him out, Irwin came in and it just wasn't good enough. If nothing else, Jones offers a legitimate threat from the slot in the case that Boyd goes down with an injury in an important game. 

He also hasn't had an 1000 yard season since Burrow has been here, even before Chase was drafted. He's a good slot and a reliable target, but I definitely think this is his last year in stripes unless he wants to sign a super cheap deal for the Bengals.

Yeah, I can understand wanting an upgrade over what Boyd did last year myself. He was banged up a lot but so were Chase and Tee 
and they had good production despite being banged up. Charlie Jones might take snaps from Boyd this year if he doesn't improve from
what we saw last season, it isn't THAT far fetched now that I think about it.

We are living off of past Boyd before Chase got here when thinking he is still one of the best Slot WR's. Last year he wasn't one of the
best Slot WR's.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 04:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I can understand wanting an upgrade over what Boyd did last year myself. He was banged up a lot but so were Chase and Tee 
and they had good production despite being banged up. Charlie Jones might take snaps from Boyd this year if he doesn't improve from
what we saw last season, it isn't THAT far fetched now that I think about it.

We are living off of past Boyd before Chase got here when thinking he is still one of the best Slot WR's. Last year he wasn't one of the
best Slot WR's.

It continued with their UDFAs as well. Wide receiver Shedrick Jackson was reported to have been clocked as low as 4.25 in the 40. I have not seen what the official number for the Auburn Pro Day was.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 04:26 PM)OSUfan Wrote: It continued with their UDFAs as well. Wide receiver Shedrick Jackson was reported to have been clocked as low as 4.25 in the 40. I have not seen what the official number for the Auburn Pro Day was.

They need more speed and athleticism out of the slot - which is what they got in the draft. I'm pretty happy with what they did. 

Part of me thinks that them taking a couple WRs in the draft is also a fallback plan for potentially losing Tee as well. We will see about that one... 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 04:26 PM)OSUfan Wrote: It continued with their UDFAs as well. Wide receiver Shedrick Jackson was reported to have been clocked as low as 4.25 in the 40. I have not seen what the official number for the Auburn Pro Day was.

Whoa, that be fast. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 03:43 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If they didnt trade Jonah there was no way they could take Jones.  You would have too many linemen.  With Jonah and Carman and Collins and now Cody Ford plus Adeniji, thats just too many roster spots battling for RT

Adeniji is a back of the roster guy anyways.  Drafting Jones would have prepared them for life without Jonah next year, and the Bengals could still trade Jonah if they had him and he was looking very good (or if Carman is) as there are likely to be some teams need a LT before next season either due to injury or suspension  (Jags).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2023, 03:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yeah, me wanting more out of the slot than 3 catches a game is pretty unsesible...especially given the attention that Higgins and Chase get.

Boyd should have FEASTED last year.

This offense is a middle of the field recieving threat away from being unstopable. An aging Boyd who doesnt get much seperation anymore isn't the answer.

This is sad because I love the guy and he has been a model teammate, but this is very accurate.  He was having a big game in KC before the injury, but still.  He totally disappeared at times last year.  Burrow doesn't play favorites other than to say he will favor the guy that is open.  I think Jones will get significant playing time this year and help keep Boyd and Higgins fresh in rotation.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 08:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is sad because I love the guy and he has been a model teammate, but this is very accurate.  He was having a big game in KC before the injury, but still.  He totally disappeared at times last year.  Burrow doesn't play favorites other than to say he will favor the guy that is open.  I think Jones will get significant playing time this year and help keep Boyd and Higgins fresh in rotation.  

Yes, Boyd is a good dude and yes, Charlie Jones should help in keeping these guys fresh. We haven't had this 4th WR to spell these guys a
bit. I know Irwin flashed at times but he isn't on Charlie Jones level talent wise.
Reply/Quote