Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bengals had a PBWR of 18% in the SB!
(02-14-2022, 04:31 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: …and an experienced NFL play caller would have said no.  Having your HC learning the ways of the NFL from the standpoint of a HC and OC while coaching an inexperienced QB is a recipe for disaster.  Who’d have thought?

Is that right? You might wanna talk to McVay about that then, because that's his philosophy that Zac brought with him. In fact, a lot of coaches do this these days. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:33 PM)Wyche Wrote: Is that right? You might wanna talk to McVay about that then, because that's his philosophy that Zac brought with him. In fact, a lot of coaches do this these days. 

We need a FB having a mauler in the back field like the 49ers  have would help
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is absolutely false. No sacks isn’t the same thing as no pressure. He was having to get he ball out almost immediately even in the first half.

He had clean pockets, really never touched some of those sacks in 2nd half were not short drops, so you are just wrong... ie last play of game
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:31 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: …and an experienced NFL play caller would have said no.  Having your HC learning the ways of the NFL from the standpoint of a HC and OC while coaching an inexperienced QB is a recipe for disaster.  Who’d have thought?

That's kind of the thing. We weren't supposed to make a SB run. Had they knew they would, I doubt they draft Carman. They probably make 1 or 2 other moves differently.

I watched these coaches get out-strategized for like 2.5 seasons, then halfway through the year, it's like a switch flipped...and especially on defense and they became capable coaches. But, they're not elite coaches. The players made timely plays to win playoff games. It was uncanny.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:29 PM)BigRed75 Wrote: Simply put yes.  As one poster already said, there's only so much you can do but the problem is Zac didn't exhaust all his options.  Where was the eye candy / motion?  Why not use an extra blocker more often only to call an unsuspecting pass play out of that formation?  Where was the quick bubble / screen passes to the WR particularly Chase?  These are plays you run when your QB has no time...rolling him out is an option but at that point you're taking half the field away so you can only do that so many times and only in certain situations.  I like Zac and I think he will learn but the play calling was suspect all postseason but especially bad last night.

Like I said, it happens. I mean, Andy Reid and Mahommes had no answer for us two weeks ago.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:36 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We need a FB having a mauler in the back field like the 49ers  have would help

Gonna have to do something!!!!!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's kind of the thing. We weren't supposed to make a SB run. Had they knew they would, I doubt they draft Carman. They probably make 1 or 2 other moves differently.

I watched these coaches get out-strategized for like 2.5 seasons, then halfway through the year, it's like a switch flipped...and especially on defense and they became capable coaches. But, they're not elite coaches. The players made timely plays to win playoff games. It was uncanny.

Amaruno was a position coach before becoming a coordinator. Going from fundamentals to scheme, in game adjustments and calling the right play at the right time there is a learning curve. He grew tremendously as a coach

Hopefully It happens to taylor next year
Reply/Quote
I thought PBWR meant Paul Brown Win Rate
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's kind of the thing. We weren't supposed to make a SB run. Had they knew they would, I doubt they draft Carman. They probably make 1 or 2 other moves differently.

Those coaches didn't have much talent to work with last season. We were decimated with injuries and opt outs. Here's the scary part....for our opponents....they send in two plays, with audibles, and Joe calls what he likes based on what he sees. The more defenses he sees, the better he will be, and coincidentally, the better the offense and "play calling" will be. This is a VERY young group of players, and some young coaches. I think a lot of people are forgetting that part of the equation. 

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:45 PM)Oasis5055 Wrote: Amaruno was a position coach before becoming a coordinator. Going from fundamentals to scheme, in game adjustments and calling the right play at the right time there is a learning curve. He grew tremendously as a coach

Hopefully It happens to taylor next year

You make a great point there, plus Lou has been in the league longer. In my mind, it's as simple as fixing the offensive line. That's where it all starts. If they do that this off-season, we've got a damn good three year window before we even have to shake the roster up any due to the salary cap. We do have a tough schedule next year on paper though.

Reply/Quote
We knew if the Bengals were going to lose, the line was the reason.

Low and behold, the line was the reason. Great job by everyone else. The o-line tried, but they just didnt have the talent
Reply/Quote

They had a lower pressure rate in empty sets this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He had clean pockets, really never touched some of those sacks in 2nd half were not short drops, so you are just wrong... ie last play of game

No I’m not wrong. Look at the average time he had to throw (one of Donald’s sacks came in 2.2 seconds ffs). And you’re also confusing lack of sacks for clean pockets. Even the bomb to Tee in the 2nd half Burrow had to step up to buy time to make the throw.

The Rams pressured Burrow on 41.5% of his drop backs (season high for the team). He was under duress the entire game. It was not just the 2nd half.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:53 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: They had a lower pressure rate in empty sets this year.

.....and a lot of that has to do with Joe Burrow's abilities pre snap. Sam Wyche said Boomer had "a beautiful mind" and it allowed him to give Boomer a lot of freedom within the system. We're now criticizing our coach for essentially doing it with a similar type of cerebral QB. A potentially much better one at that. 

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:53 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: We knew if the Bengals were going to lose, the line was the reason.

Low and behold, the line was the reason. Great job by everyone else. The o-line tried, but they just didnt have the talent

Exactly right Frank. Sometimes you're just outmatched. I will absolutely commend the effort, but as you say, they just didn't have the ability to get it done. 

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: Those coaches didn't have much talent to work with last season. We were decimated with injuries and opt outs. Here's the scary part....for our opponents....they send in two plays, with audibles, and Joe calls what he likes based on what he sees. The more defenses he sees, the better he will be, and coincidentally, the better the offense and "play calling" will be. This is a VERY young group of players, and some young coaches. I think a lot of people are forgetting that part of the equation. 

No doubt. Definately room for growth in many areas.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No I’m not wrong. Look at the average time he had to throw (one of Donald’s sacks came in 2.2 seconds ffs). And you’re also confusing lack of sacks for clean pockets. Even the bomb to Tee in the 2nd half Burrow had to step up to buy time to make the throw.

The Rams pressured Burrow on 41.5% of his drop backs (season high for the team). He was under duress the entire game. It was not just the 2nd half.

I saw a crazy stat about how many times Donald beat a double team in under 2.5 seconds over the last season or 2 and it was crazy good.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Exactly right Frank. Sometimes you're just outmatched. I will absolutely commend the effort, but as you say, they just didn't have the ability to get it done. 

My biggest question is...the ran the ball for a really good ypc. When we got the lead, would we have been better server running it more? Hard to pass rush when you're running. :-)
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 04:57 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No doubt. Definately room for growth in many areas.

Yes, and if they continue to do so, there is a lot to look forward to. We'll see how it all plays out, I just feel like the days of being snakebit are over. They've also faced some adversity in their young careers, and that often bodes well down the road. Just gotta keep improving.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 03:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: You do realize that Joe Burrow is the one that loves the 5 wide set, right? They run that a lot because that's what HE likes.

But you can't do that unless you have an oline that is good with 1-on-1 matchups.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote