Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bengals need to move on from Jeremy Hill
Let's back up a minute, hill looked good week one gio did not. But at the same time they hardly had carries in week one. This game I think hill had 11 carries. That's not a lot, but it was slick out for one, and we run him up the middle with no fullback again, with our interior line sucking it up, especially bodine there was no holes and there was penetration all the time. Gio looked like crap running too they couldn't get nothing going. They finally kept hitting gio on the check Downs on the comeback which made gio look superior. The center definitely still needs fixed if we want to win a championship I'm telling you guys and Marvin Lewis. Today I read westerman inactive and core, two guys I think should be playing.
Reply/Quote
Also the reason a 34 yr old back like williams could look good was o line creating lanes and they do not split carries with anyone. This allows one back to get into the flow of the game, and the defense can't predict what you might be doing. Choose one back and give him majority of the carries and that back will probably get 100 yards. Like hill did when gio was out. Bad thing is, gio is a better dump off back then hill. Hill is more the better runner.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 02:32 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Let's back up a minute, hill looked good week one gio did not. But at the same time they hardly had carries in week one.  This game I think hill had 11 carries. That's not a lot, but it was slick out for one, and we run him up the middle with no fullback again, with our interior line sucking it up, especially bodine there was no holes and there was penetration all the time. Gio looked like crap running too they couldn't get nothing going. They finally kept hitting gio on the check Downs on the comeback which made gio look superior. The center definitely still needs fixed if we want to win a championship I'm telling you guys and Marvin Lewis. Today I read westerman inactive and core, two guys I think should be playing.
Small sample size, but week 1 Hill ran for 3.4yp, Gio ran for 5.0ypc. Hill had that one good run and 8 atrocious ones. Not sure what you saw.
(09-19-2016, 02:35 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Also the reason a 34 yr old back like williams could look good was o line creating lanes and they do not split carries with anyone. This allows one back to get into the flow of the game, and the defense can't predict what you might be doing. Choose one back and give him majority of the carries and that back will probably get 100 yards. Like hill did when gio was out. Bad thing is, gio is a better dump off back then hill. Hill is more the better runner.

Hill ran for 2.0ypc. He would need 50 carries to get 100 yards. That would be over 16 straight 3-and-outs. Teams normally don't get 16 drives in a game. Gio is a better runner, blocker, and pass catcher. Hill is good at TD vulturing.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
II like hill, I like his attiude. Goo is perfect the way he is. The days of guys of gios stature as the featured back are gone. If you want to point a finger start with the line it's been atrocious
Reply/Quote
Hill looked fine yesterday, he was trying his best to make things happen. He can't be faulted for not hitting holes that aren't there.....
Reply/Quote
Bro I don't even think he looked good week 1

Dude looks workable and in todays NFL you can find a star RB fairly fast if you try for a good 2 to 3 years. Gio is good but Hill has lost it man. I cant explain it. Maybe the line is failing him but its the damn near same 5 guys on the line that have been there since he was drafted so WTF
Reply/Quote
Personally thought the O-line is what looked atrocious in both games.

This needs to be fixed quickly because if we have to throw this many times a game we will be seeing our 3rd or 4th string QB by seasons end with no playoffs.

Not giving up by any means, but this is a serious problem right now with another great D-line looming.

Plus another screwed by the refs game coming at NE. Got to rectify this so we can be more balanced on offense to keep D off balance.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
If you look at the production of Hill/Gio and Williams including rushing and receiving and add 1 receiving TD each the stats are nearly identical.

There are games in which establishing the run is simply not an option, and if you want to stay in the game you have to throw the ball.

We were backed up in our own red zone for like half the game, where the defense can key in on the offense due to limited play-calling potential. The past two games have not been conducive for establishing a running game (considering we have been on the road against top tier front 7s).

This was a close game folks. The sky is not falling just yet. It's only Week 2 and we're not 0-2 (thanks to Nugent of all people).

If Denver beats us and people start freaking out, it will make some sense to me. 1-2 is not good and a little bit scary. However, they still have to play the game. I don't think we'll simply let Denver waltz into our home opener and steal the game. It's going to be very emotional.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I agree that the OL is the bigger issue. However, Jeremy is still doing a little dancing in the backfield before hitting the hole.

Here's a sad stat:

Jeremy Hill has 53 rushing yards through 2 games. Blaine Gabbert also has 53 yards rushing. Oh well.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2016, 10:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't like how he doesn't hit the hole with any speed. He tries to be shifty and it just doesn't work out for him. His rookie year he would just run and hit the hole with speed. He doesn't so that anymore. Too much dancing. 

I can't find it, but there was a stat last year that showed Hill among the slowest in the league at getting to and through the hole.  Gio was among the fastest.  Hill seems to have lost his swagger, which I think helped to make him good.  He seemed to pout last year when splitting carries, and then the way the season ended seems to have really taken the air out of him.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 11:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Hill looked fine yesterday, he was trying his best to make things happen. He can't be faulted for not hitting holes that aren't there.....

He danced around way too much yesterday. Multiple times he tried to juke out secondary players instead of just running over them. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We can talk o-line and carries and swagger and rhythm, and fullbacks and dancing and rain and fumbles and blocking and so on and so forth. Hill just hain't that good at running the football and he hasn't been for a while now.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We can talk o-line and carries and swagger and rhythm, and fullbacks and dancing and rain and fumbles and blocking and so on and so forth.  Hill just hain't that good at running the football and he hasn't been for a while now.

I'm sadly starting to believe that Hill's second half of his rookie season was just a blip like BJGE in 2012 when he led the NFL in rushing yards over a 5 or 6 week span.

I really hope I am wrong, I brought it up last year as a semi-joke longshot thing, but it's really starting to look more plausible.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
We talked about this last year with Jereme. His long run last year was 38 yards and that was the last game of the year. Up to that point, the whole season, his long run was only 17 yards. His first year here, his long run was 85 yards.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We can talk o-line and carries and swagger and rhythm, and fullbacks and dancing and rain and fumbles and blocking and so on and so forth.  Hill just hain't that good at running the football and he hasn't been for a while now.

I tend to agree with you.  I think his rookie season was an anomaly, not the norm.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:46 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I tend to agree with you.  I think his rookie season was an anomaly, not the norm.

Again, it's possible he could return to form but I have to say that the Bengals seem like too good a team to put themselves at a disadvantage forcing their offense through a guy who just isn't producing.  Again, at what point do we look at trying to recapture Hill's rookie season with the same derision we used when the Colts/Ravens/Raiders thought they could get Trent Richardson up to his potential?  Or the Browns trotted out RGIII and hoped 2+ years of crap were just an abnormality?

Then again, part of me is morbidly curious to see what would happen if we gave a RB who gets 2 YPC the ball 50 times, ha.
Reply/Quote
I haven't really felt this way until this season so far, but I am kind of wishing we had drafted Carlos Hyde now...  At least Jeremy has been mostly healthy (or at least relative to Hyde), but it's hard to say what injuries Hyde has suffered along the way would or wouldn't have happened in Cincy too, or not...  but I am about sick and tired of seeing our 'power' back bouncing from side to side to avoid a DB that is smaller than him, heck even a linebacker!   Just lower the boom and go forward for God's sake! 

(sidenote, ALL the blame certainly isn't on Hill, our Oline has run blocked so softly, Jim Brown couldn't average 3 yards behind them this year even in his prime)
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 03:17 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Small sample size, but week 1 Hill ran for 3.4yp, Gio ran for 5.0ypc. Hill had that one good run and 8 atrocious ones. Not sure what you saw.

Hill ran for 2.0ypc. He would need 50 carries to get 100 yards. That would be over 16 straight 3-and-outs. Teams normally don't get 16 drives in a game. Gio is a better runner, blocker, and pass catcher. Hill is good at TD vulturing.

I know what I saw and that game he did take some losses too because they was in the backfield a lot. When they wasn't he was looking back to form. I seen many posters saying hill was back and his td run was a thing of beauty powering over guys, now last game he did dance and it seemed he played with way more caution on protecting the ball because of the rain. He don't want to be a fumbler. They was also in the back field all game and gio looked like crap too running it. Gio only looked good in the dump off passes he got a lot of yardage. The problem is the o line, I don't know what y'all expect when we got the worst center in the game. 
Reply/Quote
Another thing Pitts o line and center is better then ours especially center, and how many carries did d Williams have 34? How many of them we're no gainers and 1 yard gainers? A lot. I'm nervous about this next game because of Denver's line. We refuse to address our center. Bodine must be happy people are talking about the backs.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:29 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm sadly starting to believe that Hill's second half of his rookie season was just a blip like BJGE in 2012 when he led the NFL in rushing yards over a 5 or 6 week span.

I really hope I am wrong, I brought it up last year as a semi-joke longshot thing, but it's really starting to look more plausible.

Jeremy hill is no different then any bellcow, he needs carries,when he first got here he wasn't dominant till gio went down. Then he got 20-30 carries a game.  You can't take hill out for a quarter and expect him to come in and dominate. 
Reply/Quote