Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Best Defensive Coordinator in History is Already in Cincinnati
I wish I could go back to when we were optimistic about swapping Geunther for Austin and tell people that by week 11 our DC would be a combo of Marvin Lewis and Hue Jackson. You can't make this stuff up!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:35 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: We have never actually drafted a LB with solid 'instincts'  - drafted pluggers and speedy guys but none that actually have great LB instincts.

Edit - Thurman had it, but was obviously troubled.

Roddrick Muckleroy.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Roddrick Muckleroy.

He did absolutely nothing to back that statement up.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:35 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: We have never actually drafted a LB with solid 'instincts'  - drafted pluggers and speedy guys but none that actually have great LB instincts.

Edit - Thurman had it, but was obviously troubled.

Keith Rivers, but I honestly think he got some kind of PTSD after the Hines Ward hit.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:47 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Keith Rivers, but I honestly think he got some kind of PTSD after the Hines Ward hit.

Nah, he was soft even before that
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:18 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s Marvin Lewis.

His 2000 Ravens’ defense gave up an average of 9.4 points per game.  

That’s sick.  Let that number sink in for a minute.

Let him work with the Cincinnati defense for the rest of the season and let’s see what happens.  I’m not saying he’ll turn Vontaze Burfict into Ray Lewis or Jessie Bates into Ed Reed or Geno Atkins into Tony Siragusa but let’s get real:  Marvin needs to effectively function as the defensive coordinator until the Front Office finds someone like Mike Zimmer who pisses sulfuric acid and poops napalm.

Excited to see marvin finally call the defense...

It tells us 1 of 2 things...  Either he really cares about getting it right.

Or hes seat is so hot he had to get up.

plus defense is like his thing.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:46 PM)GodFather Wrote: He did absolutely nothing to back that statement up.

He was drafted based on his instincts.  Go back and look at his draft profile.  He was not that fast or strong, yet he made tons of plays at Texas because of his instincts.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:47 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Keith Rivers, but I honestly think he got some kind of PTSD after the Hines Ward hit.

Rivers was a solid ready to play LB which we despartely needed at the time after like 6 LBers went to IR the previous year.
Reply/Quote
One thing is certain, Lewis is demonstrating a sense of urgency that we've never seen before.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 03:36 PM)Roland Wrote: One thing is certain, Lewis is demonstrating a sense of urgency that we've never seen before.

True, but the organization as a whole has never shown this and it is sorely needed. 

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 04:21 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: True, but the organization as a whole has never shown this and it is sorely needed. 

Perhaps it's starting now, before the entire season goes down the toilet?  Wouldn't that be a pleasant change from the regular?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 04:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps it's starting now, before the entire season goes down the toilet?  Wouldn't that be a pleasant change from the regular?

They did the same thing last year with Zampese, this is not anything too new. 

Mikey is only accountable to his accountants.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 09:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If nothing else, this will be fun to watch....

(11-13-2018, 03:36 PM)Roland Wrote: One thing is certain, Lewis is demonstrating a sense of urgency that we've never seen before.

This X 1000

- I have no idea if Marv playcalling D as well as HC is practical on such short notice
- I do not have a crystal ball to know if the Ravens Super bowl D could have been been even more scary with someone other than Marv
- I do not know if he can easily take on Co-ordinator tasks after being HC for so long

I do know he is taking unprecedented responsibility by picking up the D mid season.

I do know that whatever you think about him he has NEVER lost the team and never got them to play hard.....

So him taking this on has to rattle the cages of the likes of Dunlap, Atkins, DreK, Tez ...the vets who always believed in Zim, Guenther but seem not to have responded to Austin- if your head coach has to get involved you better damn respond...especially if that coach endorsed your 2nd/3rd contract.

The only thing I think Marv can be blamed for was the root cause of this - he hired Austin in the first place....only for it to come to this mid season. He has done a pretty good job of bringing in Co-ordinators but Zamp and now Austin in consecutive years were terrible decisions.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 04:21 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: True, but the organization as a whole has never shown this and it is sorely needed. 

(11-13-2018, 04:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps it's starting now, before the entire season goes down the toilet?  Wouldn't that be a pleasant change from the regular?

(11-13-2018, 05:52 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: They did the same thing last year with Zampese, this is not anything too new. 

Mikey is only accountable to his accountants.

So, if they made a necessary change last year, and then made another big effort to correct a mistake this year, doesn't that sort of invalidate your earlier statement?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'd be more impressed with the move if Marvin had the gall to take over as DC before the Saints game. Our defense is going to improve by default since we are only facing two decent offenses for the rest of the season. Well, until the playoffs where we will go into a good team's stadium and play like a 3-13 team, as is standard.

Marvin set himself up to look better by not firing Terrybyl Ausin during the bye. Watch how our defense plays against the Chargers, the Steelers, and in the WC game. That'll give you an idea of what we are looking at going forward, nay?
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd be more impressed with the move if Marvin had the gall to take over as DC before the Saints game.  Our defense is going to improve by default since we are only facing two decent offenses for the rest of the season.  Well, until the playoffs where we will go into a good team's stadium and play like a 3-13 team, as is standard.

Marvin set himself up to look better by not firing Terrybyl Ausin during the bye.  Watch how our defense plays against the Chargers, the Steelers, and in the WC game.  That'll give you an idea of what we are looking at going forward, nay?

Even with Zimmer at the helm the Bengals defense played good enough to lose the big games. No matter who the coordinator is, he is Marvin's guy. I don't think Marvin shows up at the game not knowing what the defense is going to do. All we can hope for is better execution by the players with Marvin breathing down their neck.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:24 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Even with Zimmer at the helm the Bengals defense played good enough to lose the big games. No matter who the coordinator is, he is Marvin's guy. I don't think Marvin shows up at the game not knowing what the defense is going to do. All we can hope for is better execution by the players with Marvin breathing down their neck.

During the Marvin/Dalton run our offense has put up between 6-16 points in 5 games.  Our defense hasn't been stellar in the playoffs, but our offense simply doesn't show up and has even been outscored by our defense at times.

At any rate, I'm not sure what Marvin breathing down anyone's neck is going to do, unless we are under the idea that Marvin wanted to crack down on his players and guys like Paul Geunther and Teryl Austin told him not to.  Oh, how I hope that was the reason! In our haste to be understandably optimistic, we tend to assume/hope that the people who leave are greatly responsible for the negative aspects of the team.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: During the Marvin/Dalton run our offense has put up between 6-16 points in 5 games.  Our defense hasn't been stellar in the playoffs, but our offense simply doesn't show up and has even been outscored by our defense at times.

At any rate, I'm not sure what Marvin breathing down anyone's neck is going to do, unless we are under the idea that Marvin wanted to crack down on his players and guys like Paul Geunther and Teryl Austin told him not to.  Oh, how I hope that was the reason!  In our haste to be understandably optimistic, we tend to assume/hope that the people who leave are greatly responsible for the negative aspects of the team.

We have to be realistic. You can paint a pig red but its still a pig. If the same players play this week then sadly the outcome won't be much different.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 12:18 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s Marvin Lewis.

His 2000 Ravens’ defense gave up an average of 9.4 points per game.  

That’s sick.  Let that number sink in for a minute.

Let him work with the Cincinnati defense for the rest of the season and let’s see what happens.  I’m not saying he’ll turn Vontaze Burfict into Ray Lewis or Jessie Bates into Ed Reed or Geno Atkins into Tony Siragusa but let’s get real:  Marvin needs to effectively function as the defensive coordinator until the Front Office finds someone like Mike Zimmer who pisses sulfuric acid and poops napalm.

I am excited to see what Sunday brings. If anything this defense is going to play hard because if they wanted Austin gone that bad and still performed as poorly would reflect on them directly. We will see. Lets hope they come out with fire...
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2018, 12:39 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: We have to be realistic. You can paint a pig red but its still a pig. If the same players play this week then sadly the outcome won't be much different.

You and I are talking about two different things here.  There are so many Marvin/defense threads I'll admit I'm losing track of stuff here...main thing, our defense will get "better" because we only play 2 good offenses for the rest of the regular season.

(11-14-2018, 12:43 PM)GodFather Wrote: I am excited to see what Sunday brings. If anything this defense is going to play hard because if they wanted Austin gone that bad and still performed as poorly would reflect on them directly. We will see. Lets hope they come out with fire...

I suppose they will be more motivated in the short-term, but Marvin hand-picked the guy they wanted gone so badly.  It's only fair they should be miffed at Marvin and slack off for him eventually.
Reply/Quote