Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Football Life-Chad Johnson
Did anyone else watch the NFL network special "A Football Life-Chad Johnson"? It was really good to watch being a Bengal fan and think everyone else on here would enjoy it if they haven't seen it yet.

What I wanted to make a point and question for everyone on the boards is after watching the special I personally felt the most exciting year as a Bengal fan BY FAR (from 2000 on) was the 2005 season. It was the most exciting season because I really thought that team at the time was a legitimate Super Bowl contender and believed in the Bengal system as a whole(players and coaching).

What was the most exciting time for you and why? (from 2000 on)
Reply/Quote
Last season. Everything was clicking before the injury.

Reply/Quote
The 19 seconds between Burfict's interception in last years playoff game until the fumble by Hill. I have not got to experience a Bengals playoff Win (was 4 months old their last win) and it felt so surreal, and then well....

But season wise, I was more excited in 05' simply because I was younger and the newness of what the team was doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
It was really well done, and I enjoyed watching it for the most part. Chad was an unbelievable talent, and his is an interesting story. Albeit kind of a sad one. The guy just couldn't get out of his own way. Be it his on the field antics, reality tv, and worst of all the domestic abuse. A couple other things I found interesting in the special was Marvin's and Ray Lewis' opinions on Chad. The latter seemed to have a lot of respect for him. The former...not so much. The Smart Car was pretty funny too.

I completely agree about 05 btw. It was the year my interest in the Bengals was reignited. I liked them as a kid, but I stop following them (and the NFL in general) during my teens. The 05 team was something special though. That playoff loss is still the worst sports moment of my life.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
His JuCo WR coach summed it up for me.  Chad Johnson was one of the best ever.....Chad Ochocinco.....not so much.

I also gained a little respect for Palmer.  Seeing as how Chad improvised so much....it must have been a challenge to "hit a moving target". On the flip side....it confirmed to me that Brady is more of a system QB than anything else.  The WR has to be at a precise place at a precise time...or he fails.  That's why Chad struggled at NE and why the Matt Cassels of the world succeed there.

Chad sure was entertaining.  Last year ranked right up there with 05 for me....until the fumble. However , 88 will always be my favorite year.  We actually were 34 seconds away from glory.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 07:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: His JuCo WR coach summed it up for me.  Chad Johnson was one of the best ever.....Chad Ochocinco.....not so much.

I also gained a little respect for Palmer.  Seeing as how Chad improvised so much....it must have been a challenge to "hit a moving target". On the flip side....it confirmed to me that Brady is more of a system QB than anything else.  The WR has to be at a precise place at a precise time...or he fails.  That's why Chad struggled at NE and why the Matt Cassels of the world succeed there.

Chad sure was entertaining.  Last year ranked right up there with 05 for me....until the fumble. However , 88 will always be my favorite year.  We actually were 34 seconds away from glory.

This Great post...hit on all points  Rock On it would be redundant for me to post the same thing! 88 was great and deserves being said again.
Reply/Quote
'81 would have been the most exciting. Fans went through the first real team success together, so it was new to all of us as Bengal fans.

However, to stay within your date parameter, it would havetio be 2005 for me. The past five years have had their moments, but nothing has come close to the excitement, the suspense of 2005. After 15 years of wandering in the wilderness, we finally had a playoff-caliber team, and it seemed destined for greatness before it was stolen from them and us.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2016, 07:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: 88 will always be my favorite year.  We actually were 34 seconds away from glory.

Yes, the 88 season was by far, for obvious reasons the best year to be a Bengals fan thats why I said after 2000 season because I was curious what was everyones most exciting time in the 2000 era. 

I guess thats why I loved the 2005 season so much because it brought that excitement and belief back we could win it all like in '88. I've since been jaded knowing we will never get a ring with Lewis as HC no matter how well we play during the regular season.
Reply/Quote
i watched the show and it just reinforced how Chad allowed his personality to overcome his performance on the field over time and it seemed to became less of a team player over time also... , we actually were winning at halftime in 05 playoffs and all hell broke loose at halftime and Chad has been implicated in that chaos.
Reply/Quote
2005 was a great season but it was expected to happen, at least for me it was.

Last year though, everything was clicking. Dalton became the QB that we all wanted and is continuing to shine by the way telling me last year was no fluke. The defense was nasty and was playing very well. The Bengals had the recievers, running backs...everything was there to go all the way.

But of course since this team is cursed, all that did not matter, lol.
Reply/Quote