Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bodine Witch Hunt
SI picked us to go 6-10 last year....  They probably will have us under .500 again this year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 07:48 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Pretty sure he was defending him when he succeeded Braham, and he sounded salty when we went with Cook. 

What a sad grouping of centers.

Ghiacuc, Cook, and Bodine (thus far).
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 09:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: For one he was a fourth round pick. Not many fourth round picks are expected to come in and start right away and excel. Especially in the AFC North. He was thrown into the fire. And has started and played in every game possible.
For two. The dude is 23. Straight young buck. Hasn't even developed his man strength. He will be 25 when his rookie contract ends. He is younger than some guys that got drafted the last few days.

There are first round and top 10 offensive linemen that totally blow. We got Bodine late and threw him to the wolves. Dude is growing. I haven't given up on him.

I don't think folks have given up. 

But Tj Johnson isn't a competent backup. 

And now another draft has come and gone without a viable c2 in sight. 
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 09:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: For one he was a fourth round pick. Not many fourth round picks are expected to come in and start right away and excel. Especially in the AFC North. He was thrown into the fire. And has started and played in every game possible.
For two. The dude is 23. Straight young buck. Hasn't even developed his man strength. He will be 25 when his rookie contract ends. He is younger than some guys that got drafted the last few days.

There are first round and top 10 offensive linemen that totally blow. We got Bodine late and threw him to the wolves. Dude is growing. I haven't given up on him.

You know what Nati you make a lot of nice points and i agree with all of them.

The thing is i want competition at the Center spot and PA gets pissed off at the thought of it.

I can't stand the media either but it was a perfectly acceptable question posed to him.
Reply/Quote
Russell Bodine is only 23 years old so he started out as the starting center at 21 in the AFCN against some pretty good defensive linemen and Alexander is right when saying that many rookies are already older than Bodine (even though those aren't his exact words)
So who do we believe? Paul Alexander who has been a Oline coach a long time or some hack from a message board who knows FAR MORE about playing on an offensive line than an actual coach in the NFL?
Some of you seem to think that if a player isn't mentioned as a HOF candidate in their 3rd season they should be immediately cut.. Such silliness..
By the way, the Bengals website has Boyd listed as 26.. I have no idea how old he actually is, but if that's right then he's 3 years older than Bodine..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 09:54 PM)grampahol Wrote: Russell Bodine is only 23 years old so he started out as the starting center at 21 in the AFCN against some pretty good defensive linemen and Alexander is right when saying that many rookies are already older than Bodine (even though those aren't his exact words)
So who do we believe?  Paul Alexander who has been a Oline coach a long time or some hack from a message board who knows FAR MORE about playing on an offensive line than an actual coach in the NFL?
Some of you seem to think that if a player isn't mentioned as a HOF candidate in their 3rd season they should be immediately cut.. Such silliness..

You calling me a hack now?

Just want to know.

I just want our biggest weakness to be fixed and to be pissed at that thought like PA seems makes me mad.

I love the Bengals, i want to win a SB. Sorry if i am a hack to you.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 10:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You calling me a hack now?

Just want to know.

I just want our biggest weakness to be fixed and to be pissed at that thought like PA seems makes me mad.

I love the Bengals, i want to win a SB. Sorry if i am a hack to you.

How dare you question the coaches?!?!?!?!? Do you want it to be the 90s again?!?!? Ninja
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 10:12 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: How dare you question the coaches?!?!?!?!? Do you want it to be the 90s again?!?!? Ninja

Yeah how dare i Aquapod.

BILLINGS!!! Smirk
Reply/Quote
Ok we should probably stop picking on PA, we've upset his fan group.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 10:16 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Ok we should probably stop picking on PA, we've upset his fan group.

Nice to know who they are Ninja
Reply/Quote
I can tell you that Bengals fans are not the only ones pointing to Bodine as a weak link on our offense. Look at the NFL Network's Mock draft where Ryan Kelly was the choice selected for us.

If Bodine plays well this year, then Alexander will have been right. If not, then I guess nothing happens and he stays on.

Reply/Quote
If the truth is a "witchhunt"?   Then yeah...  we're all pretty much carrying the torches you F'n moron.

Center is a glaring problem on this team.

Just Google it Paul.  It's not that hard.

"Though he was essentially handed the starting job as a rookie, Bodine has done little to reward the Bengals for their patience with him in hopes he could become their franchise center. He's routinely been pushed around in the run game and was part of the reason why Cincinnati finished 2015 ranked 23rd in rushing yards per carry (3.9).

His pass-blocking has been serviceable, but mainly because the Bengals had utilized a quick passing game that makes it hard for defenses to get pressure up the middle.

Bodine finished his rookie season as one of the worst-rated centers and didn't improve much in Year 2. In fact, Pro Football Focus ranked Bodine as their 30th-best center out of 39 eligible players. His 42.4 grade puts him in PFF's 'replaceable' tier of players, the worst of five tiers PFF has.

If you look at that list, most of the names down in Bodine's range are guys like Cody Wallace, Trevor Robinson, Joe Looney and Jamil Douglas, guys who were either backup centers or guards moved to center because of injuries.

That's not exactly good company for Bodine to be in, especially when you're talking about a Bengals team that's been painfully close to being a Super Bowl contender. It stings to think how good the Bengals' offensive line would have been this past season had they gotten just average play at center."
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
In the end..

Westeman will probably be competing with Bodine for the center spot...

Just because they tell us that there isn't really.. doesn't mean anything I think Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I have no problem with Alexander supporting one of his players. That's expected from a position coach. What I do have an issue with is the way he went about it. He came off like a petulant child throwing a temper tantrum. Also, while 'defending' Bodine from criticism...he had no problem saying Z didn't start "all that great". Then he had to throw out what Whit said (I agree with Whit BTW). 

Paul, if you're going to defend your guy, then fine...but don't act like an assclown while you're doing it and no need to bring your other players into it.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: According to Sports Illustrated and many other experts around the league.

Let's be honest.  The guy is fortunate to work for the most loyal owner in the NFL.  He gives his coaches LOTS of rope.  I don't dislike the guy, but I am thinking he could greatly improve the coaching in run blocking and he is asked to pass block for near the very shortest amount of time in the league.  

When you use words like "witch hunt", that screams of paranoia.  Just show us results, Paul, and everyone will love you.   
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: AKA the magazine nobody really cares about anymore until it's time for women to be in bikinis and paint.

[Image: kate-upton-in-sports-illustrated-2014-sw...ssue_8.jpg]

Ahhh Kate...the love of my loins!  :drool:
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 08:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: AKA the magazine nobody really cares about anymore until it's time for women to be in bikinis and paint.

(04-30-2016, 09:16 PM)jason Wrote: SI picked us to go 6-10 last year....  They probably will have us under .500 again this year.

It was not an op-ed piece.  It quoted multiple sources that praised PA.

But thanks for proving how the PA haters criticize things they know absolutely nothing about.  More points for my side.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 11:11 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: If the truth is a "witchhunt"?   Then yeah...  we're all pretty much carrying the torches you F'n moron.

Center is a glaring problem on this team.

Just Google it Paul.  It's not that hard.

"Though he was essentially handed the starting job as a rookie, Bodine has done little to reward the Bengals for their patience with him in hopes he could become their franchise center. He's routinely been pushed around in the run game and was part of the reason why Cincinnati finished 2015 ranked 23rd in rushing yards per carry (3.9).

His pass-blocking has been serviceable, but mainly because the Bengals had utilized a quick passing game that makes it hard for defenses to get pressure up the middle.

Bodine finished his rookie season as one of the worst-rated centers and didn't improve much in Year 2. In fact, Pro Football Focus ranked Bodine as their 30th-best center out of 39 eligible players. His 42.4 grade puts him in PFF's 'replaceable' tier of players, the worst of five tiers PFF has.

If you look at that list, most of the names down in Bodine's range are guys like Cody Wallace, Trevor Robinson, Joe Looney and Jamil Douglas, guys who were either backup centers or guards moved to center because of injuries.

That's not exactly good company for Bodine to be in, especially when you're talking about a Bengals team that's been painfully close to being a Super Bowl contender. It stings to think how good the Bengals' offensive line would have been this past season had they gotten just average play at center."

Uh-oh...factual information.  Sure to flame the folks that know how the Bengal's coaches know talent, we don't know anything, and Bodine is likely being held back by Andy Dalton
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2016, 11:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Let's be honest. 

Let's be honest.

PA is well respected as an O-line coach by the people who matter and only hated by Bengal fans.

the same Bengals fans who hated Justin Smith, Leon Hall, and Andy Dalton.  Tne same Bengal fasn who claimed Whitworth could not handle speed rushers and needed to be moved to guard.
Reply/Quote
"And then I was talking to Whit (Andrew Whitworth) about (former Bengals center) Rich (Braham), and Whit said, ‘Don’t compare Bodine to Rich Braham.’"

[Image: th?id=OIP.M19fa6d348f0d3ef3453640dc8b596...0&pid=15.1]
[Image: th?id=OIP.M419faeb0a114ce6a6cf88d766e8f9...=300&h=300]
[Image: th?id=OIP.Mce793bed42a528e72cf19135c5003...1&pid=15.1]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote