Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Browns is Crazy.
Trading 3 years worth of #1 Draft Picks for the Texans QB. Cleveland has lost their minds. They have watch Draft Day with Kevin Costner as the Browns GM too much, where he trades 3 years of #1 picks for a QB. In the movie, the Browns get all those #1 picks back. In real life the Browns will not. They just gave away every bit of their Future for Pie In The Sky, and it is a HUGE mistake by Cleveland. I'll tell you who just made out great, and that is The Texans. The Texans stealing Browns #1 draft picks for the next 3 years makes The Texans FUTURE bright. Cleveland's has no future as of now. No #1 Draft Pick until 2025 will hurt The Browns very bad. The QB they got is no way close to being worth such a trade. Plus they have Mayfield. Nobody is going to give the Browns 3 years of #1 picks for either QB or both of them combined, Browns just sold their future. Texan did a great job getting all those Top Picks. Beware of The Texans in the future.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Does Cleveland know Draft Day is just a movie?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Smack talk is officially on ***** notice. The champ (kevin) is here.
Reply/Quote
This year's Super Bowl champions don't have a first round pick any time soon either. This reminds me of the 2018 off season when we tried to assure ourselves that the Browns hadn't passed us up in the division. The Browns are gonna be a problem with Deshaun Watson.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Well, given how successful they are with their first round picks, maybe trading all of them away isn't such a bad idea.
Reply/Quote
IMHO, all the Browns needed to be SB contenders was a top tier QB. They just got it. He is easily on the same camp as Burrow. Oh ……and has legs too.

They also paired him w a top notch WR in Cooper; and their WR’s were already decent.

Browns as an organization are Clowns but if anyone dismisses how much of a game-changer this is for the AFC-N is lost IMO.

The Browns were also plagued badly by COVID last year AND their QB (who won a playoff game the year before) was held together by duck tape w so many injuries and was only mediocre at best to begin with.

The final piece of the puzzle in STAIN-land has just been added.

Just keepin it real.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:56 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Does Cleveland know Draft Day is just a movie?

Ha, Ha

Plus Watson still has many Civil Domestic Law suits against him on upcoming court dates. and NFL is probably forced to hand down a Suspension on him due to NFL policy on such things.  Much like Trevor Bauer Suspended in Baseball and that so far not working out at all for the Dodgers, the same future has the rocky road ahead for Watson and the Browns.  

You are right Fan In Kettering. I don't think Cleveland knows Draft Day is just a movie. Kevin Costner in the movie gets all those picks back, plus a punt returner and then drafts all the players he wanted.  In the movie.  In real life, Cleveland never gets those picks back, because Kevin Costner is now doing Yellowstone, not the Cleveland GM Movie.  

3 years of #1 Draft Picks for Mahomes or a younger Tom Brady or Johnny Unitas in his day would be hard to accept,  but since when is Watson one of the best QB's ever.  Often in Fantasy Football he can be grabbed anytime in Free Agency because his points value is so low that nobody wants him. Wasn't he injured and missed many games. Now he faces NFL Suspension and all the Civil Court Cases. Watson will be lucky if he doesn't end up in jail like Bill Cosby did.  For this, they gave up 3 years of #1 Draft Picks.  Even Kevin Costner wouldn't have made this Yellowstone Horse Shoe move that Browns did. 

Oh well, It's Cleveland's mistake on the lake. Another fine mess they have gotten themselves into, like Laurel and Hardy. Not our problem. As Sam Wyche said, remember we don't live in Cleveland.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Is it weird that I like that movie?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 12:05 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Is it weird that I like that movie?

I like it also.  Still, there is one part that makes no sense.  Keven Costner on his late Father, saying that his father was a great man in Cleveland Football history so say his name with some respect.  They can't be talking about Paul Brown for their Family has The Bengals.  Art Modell turned the Browns into the Baltimore Ravens.  I fail to see what Great Legend Owner or GM or Coach has been with The Browns since they restarted after Modell moved the team to Baltimore. There just isn't one. So it is made up as much as Charlie Sheen pitching for Cleveland Baseball Team, but I like Major League. Actually, I like Major League 2 better because they added Randy Quaid from National Lampoon Vacation Movies as the Funny Fickle Fan who Flip Flops on his team constantly.  

So there is no Great Legend Browns Front Office person or coach since Browns restarted.  However it is funny that Browns have indeed just traded 3 years of #1 Draft Picks as in the movie.  I thought that was the crazy part of the movie that could never happen, but it just did. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:10 PM)kevin Wrote: Trading 3 years worth of #1 Draft Picks for the Texans QB.  Cleveland has lost their minds. They have watch Draft Day with Kevin Costner as the Browns GM too much, where he trades 3 years of #1 picks for a QB.   In the movie, the Browns get all those #1 picks back. In real life the Browns will not.  They just gave away every bit of their Future for Pie In The Sky, and it is a HUGE mistake by Cleveland.  I'll tell you who just made out great, and that is The Texans.  The Texans stealing Browns #1 draft picks for the next 3 years makes The Texans FUTURE bright.  Cleveland's has no future as of now.  No #1 Draft Pick until 2025 will hurt The Browns very bad.  The QB they got is no way close to being worth such a trade.  Plus they have Mayfield.  Nobody is going to give the Browns 3 years of #1 picks for either QB or both of them combined, Browns just sold their future. Texan did a great job getting all those Top Picks.  Beware of The Texans in the future.

Tell 'em what's up, Kev!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Teams with qbs on these massive contracts fall apart because they can't resign their top FAs. They have to constantly replenish through the draft and have no room to miss on picks. That happened with the Steelers the past 5 years or so. No cap room, and simply picking up okay starters with our picks in the 1st 3 rounds wasn't enough. We needed homeruns that we could pay on rookie contracts before they leave for more pay.

The Browns are gave out league high contracts to 3 players and have no picks left to fill out the roster.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The worst part isn't even the trade.

The worst part is the sleezy way they worked the contract so that when Watson gets suspended for his predatory moves, he loses 1 million of the 220.

How could anyone be okay with that move by the franchise? I mean...that is just horrible.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 01:37 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The worst part isn't even the trade.

The worst part is the sleezy way they worked the contract so that when Watson gets suspended for his predatory moves, he loses 1 million of the 220.

How could anyone be okay with that move by the franchise? I mean...that is just horrible.

It will be interesting to see how the contract is structured and the impact on the salary cap. 

If lowering his guaranteed pay significantly lowers the 2022 cap hit, it will make years 2-5 even more unbearable than they already are. 

As it stands he's going to average $46M a year against the cap over the life of the contract (thats 22% of the 2022 cap). If this stunt reduces that significantly this year, that's going to push his cap hit well over $50M/year going forward. Possibly close to $60M/year. 

Browns fans are saying that the "cap is going to go up." But the rate of increase in his cap hit could easily outpace the overall rate of increase, meaning that he's going to take up an ever increasing percent of the overall pie, leaving less for others who are going to want a raise.

Short term and on paper, this is a great move for the Browns. But this is guaranteed to wreck them long term. If they win a SB in the next 2 or 3 years, then maybe it's worth it. If they don't....oh boy this is going to go down as one of their worst moves. 

Their window is narrow. And add to that they have to compete against a resurgent Bengals team with Joe Burrow on a rookie contract AND they aren't going to have Watson for a significant portion of one of those three years. This may not hurt in 2022 or 2023, but its going to be a disaster in 2024 and beyond.  
Reply/Quote
Wow. Here it is.
He's only going to account for $10M against the cap this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

Which means that Cleveland will have to account for the remaining $220M over the next 4 years.
Average cap hit will be $55M.
In reality they will probably push much of it out further, so he could count over $60M against the cap toward the end.

Do they not employ a Capologist in Cleveland? He will be playing with a bunch of nobodies in the last few years of his contract. 
Reply/Quote
Yep, they is crazy.
https://overthecap.com/player/deshaun-watson/5596/

$55M a year against the cap. And the dead money. D'oh!
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 01:37 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The worst part isn't even the trade.

I predict the NFL will have a lengthy investigation....some time during the season, he'll be placed on the exempt list (no play and no pay) for the rest of 2022.  He'll then get a 8 games suspension starting in 2023 which will chew up real $$$$.

Goodell won't take kindly to them trying to circumvent the system.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 10:29 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Wow. Here it is.
He's only going to account for $10M against the cap this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

Which means that Cleveland will have to account for the remaining $220M over the next 4 years.
Average cap hit will be $55M.
In reality they will probably push much of it out further, so he could count over $60M against the cap toward the end.

Do they not employ a Capologist in Cleveland? He will be playing with a bunch of nobodies in the last few years of his contract. 

its worse than that - he gets paid 10m but his base is only 1m, which means his game checks are only 60k per game in 2022.  I think the NFL will push his suspension out to 2023 to add real consequences
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2022, 03:44 PM)Stewy Wrote: its worse than that - he gets paid 10m but his base is only 1m, which means his game checks are only 60k per game in 2022.  I think the NFL will push his suspension out to 2023 to add real consequences

I agree. Roger isn't stupid. And I don't think he'll take too kindly to them trying such shennanigans. Nor would it be beyond him to do such a thing in response. Actually, it would be the right thing to do especially the attention that it will garner. 

The NFL is all about protecting its image. Imagine how it would look to the general public for Watson to get a $230M contract and his financial punishment to only be a few hundred thousand. I can't believe anyone in the Browns org didn't realize this. 
Reply/Quote
Hey they could use those 3 draft picks on 3 more QBs for the LIST
Reply/Quote
Watson is going to turn out to be the browns' Trae Waynes.
Reply/Quote