Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Browns should ...
... just go ahead and let Johnny Manziel be their quarterback. He had some impressive throws and drives against the Bengals and the game really was in the balance until the beginning of the fourth quarter. Not bad for a second year player leading a patchwork unit into a hostile stadium.

Cleveland is just dying for some kind of cohesiveness with their football team. At one point the TNF broadcast showed the parade of Browns quarterbacks since Andy Dalton became the Bengal's quarterback. They've also had multiple running backs and receivers from what I can tell. If they followed the Bengal's lead, drafted smartly and hired smartly, things might turn around up there and the balance of the AFC North power would shift.

I would rather see the Browns and the Bengals battle for AFC North supremacy and it was fun in the mid to late 80s when the Bengals had Boomer and the Browns had Bernie.
Reply/Quote
Great post and I agree.
Reply/Quote
Agree with you up until the end of your post. Johnny was electric running around the other night. He escaped from some pressure that would have claimed many a slower QB. But, I must admit I love seeing the Browns getting kicked around. If the rivalry is dead because we beat their sorry asses every year, I can live with. We have the Steelers and Ravens if we need any rivals.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I gotta agree with Llama, screw the Browns. If they haven't figured out how to build a team yet, then they deserve to get their asses kicked..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 03:33 PM)TreasureCoastBenGal Wrote: ... just go ahead and let Johnny Manziel be their quarterback.  He had some impressive throws and drives against the Bengals and the game really was in the balance until the beginning of the fourth quarter.  Not bad for a second year player leading a patchwork unit into a hostile stadium.

Cleveland is just dying for some kind of cohesiveness with their football team.  At one point the TNF broadcast showed the parade of Browns quarterbacks since Andy Dalton became the Bengal's quarterback.  They've also had multiple running backs and receivers from what I can tell.  If they followed the Bengal's lead, drafted smartly and hired smartly, things might turn around up there and the balance of the AFC North power would shift.

I would rather see the Browns and the Bengals battle for AFC North supremacy and it was fun in the mid to late 80s when the Bengals had Boomer and the Browns had Bernie.

Johnny Manziel sucks.  Keep him in the pocket and he's pretty horrible.  
Reply/Quote
The last thing Cincy needs is the other team in Ohio to figure it out.
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 11:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I gotta agree with Llama, screw the Browns. If they haven't figured out how to build a team yet, then they deserve to get their asses kicked..

i would rather the Bengals and the Browns run this division more than pitt and balt...

I dont hate the browns ive felt bad for them for years now. well mostly the fans....... cause we have been there
Reply/Quote
(11-08-2015, 11:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I gotta agree with Llama, screw the Browns.  If they haven't figured out how to build a team yet, then they deserve to get their asses kicked..

Yup

I mean I don't hate the Browns in the same way I hate the Steelers. But I still don't mind seeing them struggle.
Reply/Quote
As of right now, I fully expect to see the Browns starting all over next season. Farmer and/or Pettine need to go.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I really don't get what they're doing in Cleveland.

I guess they have already made up their mind when it comes to Manziel, that's the only logical explanation to play a known scrub in McCown over the (no matter how slight) possibility of a QB of the future.

That organization is a mess from top to bottom.
Reply/Quote
McCown is better than Manziel. I don't understand why people have such a hard time swallowing the fact that the Browns drafted yet ANOTHER QB who is getting outplayed by a journeyman QB (you know, like they've done for the past 16 years or so?). Let's also add the fact that the GM who drafted Manziel is probably getting fired soon and the HC who drafted him is currently in Indianapolis (I think), and you have a situation that seems pretty unsurprising to me.

We agree the Browns are a joke of a franchise, yet we also seem to all agree they should bench the QB for a worse one. Astounding. People also wonder why Manziel isn't getting the nod over a boring QB when Kapernick, RGIII, and Ryan Mallett are all taking their "upside" to the bench.

Here is a visual aid to help illustrate my point:

[Image: Browns_QBs.jpg]

McCown is not winning the Super Bowl, but he's not what is wrong with that god awful franchise. Manziel couldn't beat Hoyer for a job (nor could Weeden) and now he can't beat McCown. I guess people think the Browns should just give Manziel the starting gig "just because" he happened to be born a decade or so later than the guy who is outplaying him.
Reply/Quote
My threads get more replies here than on the old board.

Johnny Manziel should start though, because if he gets great and becomes famous then Joseph Gordon Leavitt could play him in a movie.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2015, 01:22 AM)Nately120 Wrote: McCown is better than Manziel.  I don't understand why people have such a hard time swallowing the fact that the Browns drafted yet ANOTHER QB who is getting outplayed by a journeyman QB (you know, like they've done for the past 16 years or so?).  Let's also add the fact that the GM who drafted Manziel is probably getting fired soon and the HC who drafted him is currently in Indianapolis (I think), and you have a situation that seems pretty unsurprising to me.

We agree the Browns are a joke of a franchise, yet we also seem to all agree they should bench the QB for a worse one.  Astounding.  People also wonder why Manziel isn't getting the nod over a boring QB when Kapernick, RGIII, and Ryan Mallett are all taking their "upside" to the bench.

Here is a visual aid to help illustrate my point:

[Image: Browns_QBs.jpg]

McCown is not winning the Super Bowl, but he's not what is wrong with that god awful franchise.  Manziel couldn't beat Hoyer for a job (nor could Weeden) and now he can't beat McCown.  I guess people think the Browns should just give Manziel the starting gig "just because" he happened to be born a decade or so later than the guy who is outplaying him.

Is that a glass joe avatar? If so that's awesome and I am jealous.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2015, 01:46 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Is that a glass joe avatar?  If so that's awesome and I am jealous.

Make it quick...I want to retire!
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 10:45 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Johnny Manziel sucks.  Keep him in the pocket and he's pretty horrible.  

Good Post

.....not only that, but how can you rely on this guy when he still gets in trouble with the law, and is out partying at Texas A & M instead of watching film to learn from mistakes made in Cincy and prepare for a divisional foe on the road?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 04:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good Post

.....not only that, but how can you rely on this guy when he still gets in trouble with the law, and is out partying at Texas A & M instead of watching film to learn from mistakes made in Cincy and prepare for a divisional foe on the road?

Reminds me of Matt Leinart. During the 07 season, when the Cards were rotating Leinart and Kurt Warner, Leinart would spend a lot of time partying. Warner was known for staying late to watch film.

We all know how that ended.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 05:16 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Reminds me of Matt Leinart. During the 07 season, when the Cards were rotating Leinart and Kurt Warner, Leinart would spend a lot of time partying. Warner was known for staying late to watch film.

We all know how that ended.

It is funny how people don't understand why the Browns would want to keep the hardworking and solid (if unspectacular) vet in there rather than go with the scattershot kid with discipline issues.  Some folks just clamor for change for the sake of change, I guess.  Part of this is just people looking for something to talk about because when I look at the top 10 QB index I see a number of QBs (Brady, Palmer, Dalton, Carr, Brees, maybe Rivers) that were cited at some point in 2014 or 2015 as being the reason the franchise was falling behind.

I'm sure in some parallel universe we have Jimmy Garaplalalaollo, Drew Stanton, AJ McCarron, Matt McGroin, whomever the Saints wanted to get, and whomever the Chargers would get once Rivers went to the Titans starting in the NFL this year. Wacky.

So over half of the top 10 QBs in 2015 would have been fired had dissenters gotten their way.  That makes it pretty unsurprising that people would fire Josh McCown and put a football playing horse, or baby, or anything in his place. I also assume these same people would tell their daughters not to marry some boring guy who makes $40k a year. She should go for that drug addicted guy who plays the guitar in that band. I mean, the guy who makes $40k, you know what you're getting with him, but that musician? He could be a big hit someday (you never know) so you should hitch your wagon to that start. Nothing to lose, right?
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 06:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It is funny how people don't understand why the Browns would want to keep the hardworking and solid (if unspectacular) vet in there rather than go with the scattershot kid with discipline issues.  Some folks just clamor for change for the sake of change, I guess.  Part of this is just people looking for something to talk about because when I look at the top 10 QB index I see a number of QBs (Brady, Palmer, Dalton, Carr, Brees, maybe Rivers) that were cited at some point in 2014 or 2015 as being the reason the franchise was falling behind.

I'm sure in some parallel universe we have Jimmy Garaplalalaollo, Drew Stanton, AJ McCarron, Matt McGroin, whomever the Saints wanted to get, and whomever the Chargers would get once Rivers went to the Titans starting in the NFL this year.  Wacky.

So over half of the top 10 QBs in 2015 would have been fired had dissenters gotten their way.  That makes it pretty unsurprising that people would fire Josh McCown and put a football playing horse, or baby, or anything in his place.  I also assume these same people would tell their daughters not to marry some boring guy who makes $40k a year.  She should go for that drug addicted guy who plays the guitar in that band.  I mean, the guy who makes $40k, you know what you're getting with him, but that musician?  He could be a big hit someday (you never know) so you should hitch your wagon to that start.  Nothing to lose, right?

It's the same people who get upset our top draft picks don't play. Good teams don't turn to unproven players. Especially at critical positions unless the group around him is solid.
Reply/Quote
With how bad the Ravens are struggling, I want the Browns to at least be good so the Steelers aren't gift-wrapped four division games a year and aren't pretty much automatically fighting for a wild card spot.

If I'm the Browns, I play Manziel in the second half of the year and hope that he lights it up so I can trade him with enough value to be able to draft a franchise QB in the Spring (or at least some weapons for McCown).

With their remaining schedule, though, I think the defenses will eat him alive. Keep him in the pocket and he's done.

Browns are screwed,
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2015, 08:36 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: With how bad the Ravens are struggling, I want the Browns to at least be good so the Steelers aren't gift-wrapped four division games a year and aren't pretty much automatically fighting for a wild card spot.

If I'm the Browns, I play Manziel in the second half of the year and hope that he lights it up so I can trade him with enough value to be able to draft a franchise QB in the Spring (or at least some weapons for McCown).

With their remaining schedule, though, I think the defenses will eat him alive.  Keep him in the pocket and he's done.

Browns are screwed,

The Browns are more likely to find success (relatively speaking) in keeping Manziel behind McCown and attempting to develop him into a QB they can use.  His trade value is low, it's going to be even lower if he starts 8 or more games for that team this season, and McCown is far more likely to impart actual football wisdom to Manziel than Hoyer.

I don't see Manziel every being a good QB but at this least path has a slim chance of working out, unlike getting decent trade value for him in a market where Mallett, Kapernick, RGIII, Geno Smith, Terrell Pryor, and maybe even Cutler, Stafford, and Bradford are all, or will be available in the proverbial QB discount bin for franchises looking to toss some "upside" at a troubled team.
Reply/Quote