Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Browns want to be us so bad...
Apparently they are "in" on Bates and Hurst.

They want to be us so bad.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Overpaying a non top 5 safety when they have that awful Watson contract on the books seems like a bold choice. Let’s see if it works out for them, Cotton.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
If they are willing to overpay Hurst, I'm also letting him walk. He's a solid TE but can be replaced through the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 11:26 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: If they are willing to overpay Hurst, I'm also letting him walk. He's a solid TE but can be replaced through the draft.

I can’t imagine Hurst would be very interested in going to Cleveland to be a backup again. He wants to start.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 11:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I can’t imagine Hurst would be very interested in going to Cleveland to be a backup again. He wants to start.

exactly! he would be back to square 1 like when with Andrews. Maybe im being too positive but I feel like Hurst really likes it in Cinci and has found himself  a home here with good people and he will agree to a team friendly deal. 
As for Bates, love to keep him but hes gone.  
Reply/Quote
Browns are notorious for overpaying for vet FAs and they (the team) end up coming up short all the time.
If they want to overpay for Bengals FAs, that's fine. Bengals have shown they can find good enough (or even better) replacements than the guys who depart.

I am a bit surprised to hear they might be in on Hurst though, as they have Njoku.
I guess they would plan to run a lot of 12 personnel in that case.

Regardless, they'll have to restructure and/or cut some guys in order for them to be in on anyone, as they're $12.6 mill OVER the cap right now.
I just don't see that happening. They can't move on from Watson, Garrett, Cooper, Teller, Chubb, Bitonio, Njoku, Ward, or Conklin.
I think they will focus more on the draft for replacements/upgrades with all those guys on veteran contracts.
Heck, that's an amazing core of guys there anyway, they shouldn't need to dive further into FA.
Learn to draft better, Browns.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 11:09 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Apparently they are "in" on Bates and Hurst.

well its a 2 fold move... improve themselves weaken a divisional foe.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 11:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I can’t imagine Hurst would be very interested in going to Cleveland to be a backup again. He wants to start.

I agree, but money changes an individual's perspective. If he got more years and bigger dollars I wouldn't fault him for going to any team if it gave better financial security.

The dude has a competitive fire that I like. I hope he remains with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 11:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I am a bit surprised to hear they might be in on Hurst though, as they have Njoku.
I guess they would plan to run a lot of 12 personnel in that case.

All 3 of Watson's Pro Bowl years they used 2 TEs. When Stefanski was OC for the Vikings, they used a 2 TEs. The Browns used 2 TEs a good amount in 2020 (used 12 personnel 6th most in the NFL) and 2021, too.

I think they (like the Bengals) lacked any good TEs after their first option in 2022, so it kept them from using it as much as they wanted (Bengals started 2 TEs in both Week 1 and 2 before Sample got hurt).

Probably trying to get back to being able to use 2 TEs without having to rely on a rookie TE performing immediately. Also makes sense when you realize they only have 2 WRs worth a damn. Lol. After Cooper and Peoples-Jones, they didn't have another WR last year that I can find with even 250 career receiving yards even if you include 2022.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 11:09 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Apparently they are "in" on Bates and Hurst.

They aren’t interested they are driving up the price. All types of games played in the off season
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 11:28 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I can’t imagine Hurst would be very interested in going to Cleveland to be a backup again. He wants to start.

(03-06-2023, 11:35 AM)kalibengal Wrote: exactly! he would be back to square 1 like when with Andrews. Maybe im being too positive but I feel like Hurst really likes it in Cinci and has found himself  a home here with good people and he will agree to a team friendly deal. 
As for Bates, love to keep him but hes gone.  

Money talks.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 12:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Money talks.

To most people sure, but Hurst is on record talking about how much he’s struggled with his mental health. He might be a player that values the right type of situation above anything else.

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 01:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: To most people sure, but Hurst is on record talking about how much he’s struggled with his mental health. He might be a player that values the right type of situation above anything else.

and before the season he commented on wanting to have a chance to start and play. He noted that he believed Zac when discussing his playing time and implied other coaches were not honest in Baltimore and Atlanta. Thus, as you indicate, he might value the situation and return. Either way, I'm not faulting Hurst when he decides what is best for his career.
Reply/Quote
It's that time of the year where a lot of what ifs and rumors are tossed around in the media. Take everything with a grain of salt.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 01:45 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: It's that time of the year where a lot of what ifs and rumors are tossed around in the media.   Take everything with a grain of salt.

what would be a realistic but competitive number for keeping Hurst? Im guessing he wants  a minimum 3 yr deal at maybe around 8 to 10M/yr? 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2023, 01:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: To most people sure, but Hurst is on record talking about how much he’s struggled with his mental health. He might be a player that values the right type of situation above anything else.

Yeah, Hurst has talked about how he lost his love for the game, and has found it again in Cincinnati. He talked about how good it feels to play for a team that values him. He might leave for more money, but I think his heart is here with Zac and the guys, and he will tell his agent to do whatever is possible to stay. Money can't buy happiness, and it's not like he's making peanuts here. 
Reply/Quote

at the same time you gotta offer a contract that shows hes valued
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 11:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: at the same time you gotta offer a contract that shows hes valued

I think they will. They will pay him what his production deserves. 
Reply/Quote