Poll: When does the Burrow extension get done?
Before free agency
Before the season (training camp)
Next off-season
It doesn't get done
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Burrow Deal?
What do you guys think the timing of this deal looks like?

IMO it needs to be done sooner rather than later and preferably before free agency begins (March 7th). It's much to the Bengals benefit to go into this years free agency knowing how the largest contract in your franchises history is structured.

I'm confident the Bengals get it done soon. I'll add a poll just because im curious what you all think.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 12:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What do you guys think the timing of this deal looks like?

IMO it needs to be done sooner rather than later and preferably before free agency begins (March 7th). It's much to the Bengals benefit to go into this years free agency knowing how the largest contract in your franchises history is structured.

I'm confident the Bengals get it done soon. I'll add a poll just because im curious what you all think.

I think we have one more week, 13th and 15th?

Reply/Quote
This is a big week as a lot of extension talks happen at the combine between teams and agents. I am hopeful it gets done before the draft as I think that will set a lot of the discussions around Tee.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 12:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What do you guys think the timing of this deal looks like?

I think we will first see his fifth year option picked up.

And the extension done before that kicks in.     So might not get done this offseason.. but both sides should at least be at the table 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 01:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I think we will first see his fifth year option picked up.

And the extension done before that kicks in.     So might not get done this offseason.. but both sides should at least be at the table 

Why would it not get done this offseason?

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 01:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would it not get done this offseason?

any number of reasons.     I would prefer it get done this offseason.     But just preparing for the possibility 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 01:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would it not get done this offseason?

If you think about it, there isn't much of an incentive for Joe to want it done before the season starts. 

Salary cap will continue to go up, more and more QBs will continue to get paid (Lamar). So everything will be based on these rising numbers. 

That being said, I think it gets done before the season. I don't think Joe is super interested in comparing his salary to everyone else in the leagues. 
Reply/Quote
Speculation become rumors and I hate rumors. The reality is no fan has a clue what Joe B. and his agent are thinking. We are hoping Joe is reasonable. Agents and Joe are smart enough to project his value in the future and same for FO. The question becomes is will Joe demand to be the highest paid QB in the future which he and we know will impact his future teammates contracts or make them former teammates.

To my fellow posters, I am no fan of click bate. Please use ? marks in the titles for questions, I read these titles and think we signed Joe B. when it fact it is far from we signed him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow's deal should be fairly straight forward. QB deals are huge but there is an established market. Hopefully it gets done soon so they can start looking at Bell Tee and Logan.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 01:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If you think about it, there isn't much of an incentive for Joe to want it done before the season starts. 

Salary cap will continue to go up, more and more QBs will continue to get paid (Lamar). So everything will be based on these rising numbers. 

That being said, I think it gets done before the season. I don't think Joe is super interested in comparing his salary to everyone else in the leagues. 

Other than a guy with 2 knee injuries in 3 years getting ~$160-200m guaranteed irrevocably locked in before having to play another 20 NFL games? That's a huge incentive.

Mahomes and Murray got extended in July, Allen at the beginning of August. More Bengals-related, both Boyd and Hubbard got their extensions in late July as well. So sometime in July, probably late July, will be my guess.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 01:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If you think about it, there isn't much of an incentive for Joe to want it done before the season starts. 

Except for a career ending injury preventing him from ever signing the big one. Probably never happens and pray that it never does happen. Yet it's a rough sport and once his next contract is signed he and the future generations of his family will be set for life monetarily.  

It could be a lil incentive. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote

I understand all of that, it was kind of a rhetorical question. 

But if Joe really wants to maximize it he can wait until after his 5th year option and sign only 3 year deals...

If it is true that Joe wants to keep Tee and help the team move forward drawing this out would be the exact opposite.

I would like to think that Joe doesn't have any Lamar-itis, gets his big payday, and doesnt handcuff the team.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 01:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Other than a guy with 2 knee injuries in 3 years getting ~$160-200m guaranteed irrevocably locked in before having to play another 20 NFL games? That's a huge incentive.

Mahomes and Murray got extended in July, Allen at the beginning of August. More Bengals-related, both Boyd and Hubbard got their extensions in late July as well. So sometime in July, probably late July, will be my guess.

Burrow is going to get paid regardless of if he gets injured this year or not. 
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, these post-rookie contract extension deals for QBs typically occur in the summer. I don't know why. Maybe it has to do with the GM, coaches, owners etc finally having time for in depth discussion doesn't occur until after the draft and free agency and I imagine OTAs being around that time has something to do with it to, just to get everyone in the same room in a convenient manner.

Kyler Murray signed his in July 2022.
Josh Allen signed his in August 2021
Patrick Mahomes signed his in July 2020
Deshaun Watson's original extension with the Texans was signed September 2020.
Carson Wentz signed his extension in June 2019.
Jared Goff signed his extension in September 2019

Even Russel Wilson, who wasn't even due for a contract extension, signed in September 2022. The only extension I can think of that was signed pre-free agency was Aaron Rodgers last year, and that's because he had to make a decision on where he would play (if at all), so that was pertinent information prior to free agency.

I imagine the Bengals have a general idea of what cap hits they can expect in the next few seasons with Joe Burrow and roughly the amount of cash he wants up front. I bet it's just the fine details, the last 5%, that typically holds up the final signing. So I am hopeful that this should not affect the team too much in regards to free agency.
Reply/Quote

Others pointed out the benefits of getting guaranteed money as early as possible.  Pat Kirwan is a fan of writing the contracts based on percentage of the Cap so both ownership and player are rewarded/protected depending on cao flux. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 01:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Other than a guy with 2 knee injuries in 3 years getting ~$160-200m guaranteed irrevocably locked in before having to play another 20 NFL games? That's a huge incentive.

Hmm, well we all believe if not expect Burrow to have SB champion and SB MVP and league MVP on his resume a year from now, so if he wants money then I think he would probably wait a year.  We're banking on Burrow not being all about the money, because we want him to be good enough to be in a position to get a gazillion dollar contract...it's an interesting bit of back and forth we have with ourselves as fans.

We want him to be good enough to get paid $60+ million a year, but we also want him to not want to get paid $60+ million per year.
Reply/Quote
Sooner than later, they need to get it done to see what they will have for the rest of the season signings, Burrow is first and foremost, lock him up for the next 10 years!
Reply/Quote
I think the team would obviously like to have it done sooner. It won't directly impact this years cap signings, but 3 year deals signed this off-season will bump into Burrow's first extension year (assuming the 5th year option is picked up, which has been the rule on big $$$ QB extensions).

If the deal gets done before FA, then the team has the biggest piece of the salary puzzle pegged for the next 6-8-10 years and can play accordingly. Furthermore, if Joe takes a bit of a discount to stay, other guys will see that & it becomes more likely some of them will too. Be it guys up this year (Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Perine, Apple) or next (Higgins, Boyd, Reader, Chido, Wilson), or further down the road (Chase, Hendrickson). Might help with restructures too. And it is better for the team the earlier it gets done, because the cap goes up every year, as does the Max. Team benefits on locking him it at lower numbers. All that helps to increase cap room, enabling us to retain/sign more guys.

Now, this stuff is complicated. Perhaps all the I's are not dotted & T's not crossed before FA starts March 13th. But I bet the FO will know if it is going to be a straight max, when Joe wants it done, and the ballpark of the haircut if there is one.

It seems like Joe wants to win. Badly.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2023, 03:42 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It seems like Joe wants to win. Badly.

We may never have to cross this bridge, but I think even if Burrow gets every cent he's worth and then some, he can still win it all.
Reply/Quote

(02-27-2023, 02:00 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Except for a career ending injury preventing him from ever signing the big one. Probably never happens and pray that it never does happen. Yet it's a rough sport and once his next contract is signed he and future generations of his family will be set for life monetarily.  

It could be a lil incentive. 

The way I look at it is we got to the Super Bowl in year two and the AFCC in year three.

The safe move would be to sign this offseason and he'll get a huge contract, but with our team drastically improved this offseason (assuming that we do improve it) and we don't have as bad luck with injuries, we could win the Super Bowl this year and then Burrow would be looking at a much bigger contract. He'd probably be in a position to demand a record contract after bringing us our first Super Bowl in history.

He won't be hurting either way but it's just a matter of if he wants the sure thing or potential for the monster deal.
Reply/Quote