Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cam Robinson Idea
I know that Cam Robinson sounds like a knee-jerk reaction to the loss of Whitworth, but hear me out.

As much as I would like the Bengals to get an impact DE like Soloman Thomas, Barnett, or Garrett, I just don't see them being there at #9. I think it is too early to take a player like Ross or the TE Howard when you take in to consideration the comparison of those players vs. trading down to the middle or later of round 1 and gaining a 2nd round pick that could also be an impact player.

Here is why I keep thinking that Robinson might be the best option in Round 1 (although I still really like Ross). He seems to be sliding to the latter half of day 1. He struggles a bit with speed rushers. He has his faults, but until very recently was the #1 LT coming out of the draft. He also played against the best competition. Where I really see his value is his size and strengths give him the potential of kicking inside to guard, where he would be a mammoth. He could push Ced at LT and if Ced earns the spot and keeps it, we have a beast of a guard. If Robinson takes the LT job and runs with it, they can release Ced after next year as a backup or keep trying to develop him. Either way, we double our chances of success at LT and competition always improves the breed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There will be a top ten talent available at 9. Since you're not often(hopefully) picking in the top ten, why not take advantage of the opportunity to get a talent you have not had access to lately?

And really, with there not even being a QB worthy of such a high pick and we already have a QB, name one position on this team that would not be upgraded by such a player. I oppose the idea of trading back unless it is a ridiculous haul in return.

Oh yeah, and is there even a consensus on whether he even is a LT? If he's a G, he'll be a one deal wonder.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
During the season I focused in on him one game and he was balling. Shutting dudes down in pass pro and moving people in the run game.

Sooo I just watched the Tex A&M game on Youtube and he gave Myles Garrett the business. Seems like he could be a LT to me, but what do I know.

Sooo I am not that opposed to it but I think PA is convinced that Ced is the answer and we know he is as stubborn as a mule when it comes to his beliefs.
Reply/Quote
I just dont believe he falls very far. He is competing with two one year wonders to be the top T in the draft. One will be 25 his rookie year and had a gang and drug filled life the other is recovering from hip surgery and people question his love of football.

There is a need for tackles. Whitworth getting 15mil a year. Okujg getting a massive payday. Plenty of teams still need OL help.

I have no problem trading down. But I dont think Cam will be there. Hobson keeps saying they see very similar value with the players ranked 9-20. So i think they explore trading down
Reply/Quote
I think it depends on if they can trade back in the draft and if they can trade AJ McCarron.  Signing Andre Smith to one year deal and the linebacker Mintor to a one-year makes me think they can still go after the linebacker Foster or they may go for Robinson in the first round.

I still think Robinson is a right tackle and they may move Andre Smith to Right Guard to see how he does.

And I'm still hoping they get LF or Hooker because either one of these two would give the Bengals an immediate impact player
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Smith is going to be a rt in the nfl and they love fisher there by all acounts.
Reply/Quote
Cam has a lot of visits with teams picking in the top 10. They are either considering him in the top 10 or thinking he falls to the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 10:38 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Smith is going to be a rt in the nfl and they love fisher there by all acounts.

You are basing this on the fact that he started at LT for four years in the SEC?  He was the #1 rated prospect at LT coming out of college until the kid with all the medical issues had a great year at Wisconsin.  (Ryan Ramczyk).  

I wouldn't be so quick to move him away from LT.  He could push Ced, and if Ced wins the job, he could backup Smith to start and then take over at RG where he could be an all-pro.  

Again, not taking him at 9...trading back and grabbing him.  I just like his flexibility that he helps two position groups that are in need.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 07:47 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Cam has a lot of visits with teams picking in the top 10. They are either considering him in the top 10 or thinking he falls to the 2nd.

Exactly why I would consider trading back in to the bottom third of round 1 and grabbing him with a 5th year before FA.  

Slide in 1, get the WR, trade back in to 1, get the OT or RG.  You could argue that we would have the top WR and top OT prospect out of the first round and STILL have another second round pick for a DE, assuming you got back in to Rd 1 by trading #9 in Rd 2, our 3rd, and one of out compensatory 5th rounders.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You are basing this on the fact that he started at LT for four years in the SEC?  He was the #1 rated prospect at LT coming out of college until the kid with all the medical issues had a great year at Wisconsin.  (Ryan Ramczyk).  

I wouldn't be so quick to move him away from LT.  He could push Ced, and if Ced wins the job, he could backup Smith to start and then take over at RG where he could be an all-pro.  

Again, not taking him at 9...trading back and grabbing him.  I just like his flexibility that he helps two position groups that are in need.  

As has been said already, it's a very weak T class this year, though.  He is the best T in this class, imo, and it speaks volumes about this year's class that many experts believe he will have to move inside to G.

Personally, we have the opportunity at 9 to draft a franchise cornerstone type of player.  Robinson isn't likely to be that type of player.  I think the absolute best case scenario is he's another Andre Smith.  To me, it's worth rolling the dice with the highly drafted guys we've had in development for a couple years and getting a stud we can build around than trying to trade back for lesser players.

Another big issue is that the learning curve for OL, especially T, has gotten steeper the past several years.  There's no guarantee Robinson doesn't encounter similar struggles as Og and Fisher, and the team will look awfully foolish trading out of a spot where they can get an instant impact player to take another project lineman that they don't know where to line up.
Reply/Quote
To me Robinson is the best run blocking OT in this draft class. Two things concern me: the split opinion on his best position and the off the field questions. If the off the field stuff checks out, I would take him in the second round thinking at worst I get a very good OG who could play OT in a pinch. But, I would only draft him in the first if I could trade back for multiple picks and felt like I could get two starters. Unless there was a player there at #9 who was a too good to pass up.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't get Robinson unless it was around pick 12 or later, preferably around 15 and get a extra 2nd or 3rd round pick for trading back.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 03:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: To me Robinson is the best run blocking OT in this draft class. Two things concern me: the split opinion on his best position and the off the field questions. If the off the field stuff checks out, I would take him in the second round thinking at worst I get a very good OG who could play OT in a pinch. But, I would only draft him in the first if I could trade back for multiple picks and felt like I could get two starters. Unless there was a player there at #9 who was a too good to pass up.

I'm pretty sure that he won't be there in the 2nd Round.  And you're right he's a stud in the running game.  I'd love to have him as a legitimate right tackle.  I think he'd be a stud there.  Let Fisher et al fight for left tackle.  I think Fisher would be a pretty darn good left tackle.  He's got the athleticism and he seems smart enough.  If he gets strong enough to handle the bull rush, and stays healthy (for once) I think we have a pretty good tackle combination.

You don't want to drop too far to get him though.  Enough to pick up another 3rd rounder.

This is a tough draft for us.  There are a lot of players to like between 9 and 20.   Robinson could be one of them.
Reply/Quote
He was visiting with the Panthers today. Might be gone before pick 9 any ways.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 09:15 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: He was visiting with the Panthers today. Might be gone before pick 9 any ways.

They are taking a RB in Rd 1...my guess would be Fournette. 
Reply/Quote