Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Christmas Carol.....
There has been many many many many many many versions of the christmas carol done over the years which is your favorite?.... or Favorites?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_based_on_A_Christmas_Carol

I dont think thats a full list...

Overall my favorites
are
Scrooged! with bill murray
And the one with Patrick Stewart.

But i havent seen them all

Muppets would get an honorable mention as well.
Reply/Quote
I like the older one (1938).
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It's been so long since I've seen it but the one with George C. Scott as Ebenezer.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Scrooged - there is no other version worthy
Reply/Quote
I was involved with the Cincy Playhouse in the Park live version for several years, so that one holds the most special place in my heart (though I haven't seen it in over 20 years).

My favorite film version was the George C Scott version, which I felt was more true to the book than many film adaptations. But if I'm being honest, the only one I watch these days is the Muppets version, with my kids, and I'm entertained by it every year.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 07:16 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I was involved with the Cincy Playhouse in the Park live version for several years, so that one holds the most special place in my heart (though I haven't seen it in over 20 years).  

My favorite film version was the George C Scott version, which I felt was more true to the book than many film adaptations.  But if I'm being honest, the only one I watch these days is the Muppets version, with my kids, and I'm entertained by it every year.

Henson was a brilliant dude...  Most his movies hold up for me this day...
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 09:44 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Henson was a brilliant dude...  Most his movies hold up for me this day...

My kids don't get the hype I lay on them, but the TV show, the movies.  Henson was a kid at heart, so passionate about what he did and so perfect at it.  There's a behind the scenes video I found about the Muppet Show on YouTube.  I'll see if I can find that link if anyone wants to burn 40 minutes or whatever it was.  

Edit* Derailing the hell out of this thread, but I found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBmbh3aWk0&ab_channel=mdftrasher
Reply/Quote
Hmm -- I haven't ever seen The Muppet's Christmas Carol but will watch it this year if it's on Prime or Netflix.

The George C. Scott version is YouTube-able. He was great as Ebenezer, but the other casting was perfect as well, such as David Warner as Bob Cratchit and Susannah York as Mrs. Cratchit. It also featured the most tragic-looking Tiny Tim, the scariest Marley's ghost (Frank Finlay,) and perfect ghosts of Christmas past and present, excellent costumes.

Sorry, but with the one with Jean Luc Peppard, I kept waiting for him to say "Computer! Engage warp."

No one seems to like the Jim Carrey/Robert Zemeckis animated version.

American Christmas Carol is a TV movie starring Henry Winkler that was made in 1979, so they could use Henry for the 21 and 34-year-old versions of himself and his grumpy old man makeup and manner was really convincing. That one takes place in the depression and is on Prime and is also YouTube-able.

Finally, there are some horrible versions out there. Last year, I saw one that was a modern day take with a trailer trash 'ho as the "Scrooge." I kid you not, and it's not even worth sitting through even for "so bad it's good."
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 10:56 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: No one seems to like the Jim Carrey/Robert Zemeckis animated version.

heard or saw someone talking about that one not long ago but i haven't seen it.  might be on netflix now
Reply/Quote
I saw Scrooged in the theater and I hated it. The trailers ruined all of the real funny spots, and after that, the rest just seemed kind of meh.

I didn't watch it again for about 25 years and loved every minute of it.

Edit: That last sentence should have read . . . "I didn't watch it again for about 25 years and when I finally watched it the second time, I loved every minute of it."

It was the tail end of $25 Tuesday($25 eighths at our local weed shop)
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Alastair Sim (How hasn’t this been mentioned?) George C Scott and Patrick Stewart. Combined they hit about every part of the book. None of them go too far away from the book. Although the one with Sim changes Belle’s name to Alice and the Scott one changes Fan to Fran. Never understood that.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 03:25 AM)Stewy Wrote: Scrooged - there is no other version worthy

Yup
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2020, 03:25 AM)Stewy Wrote: Scrooged - there is no other version worthy

This, but the Muppet version makes a good run for the top spot.
Reply/Quote