Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The Current State of the OL Room
A guy I don't see brought up as a possible signing is Trey Hopkins. In an interview in March Pollack spoke highly of Trey said he did everything right and was a smart guy. I could see Trey coming in as a swing backup at all 3 inside spots and insurance if Carman doesn't cut it at LG. Would be on a much cheaper deal of course and it would depend on if Trey could accept a backup role without causing problems (I'm sure he can seems like a pro).

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I am not sure how anyone can feel bad about OL. We are like most NFL teams, we lose 2 key starters and or OL play would suffer. But, a lot of OL were given opportunity to compete in meaningful games against elite NFL players. Yes, some struggled and weaknesses surfaced. But now it is the job of the player to work with his position coach Pollack and improve.

It amazes me how many fans dismiss improvement ever happening. They also dismiss Pollack's job is on the line every year (all coaches) so the guys they keep are fall 100% on them. it is his job to develop young players to be good starters some day. No team is paying a backup oL starter pay to maybe play if needed, no position group can afford a group of 8 to 10 OL on the roster who would start on other NFL teams without question.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2022, 02:55 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: A guy I don't see brought up as a possible signing is Trey Hopkins.  In an interview in March Pollack spoke highly of Trey said he did everything right and was a smart guy.  I could see Trey coming in as a swing backup at all 3 inside spots and insurance if Carman doesn't cut it at LG.  Would be on a much cheaper deal of course and it would depend on if Trey could accept a backup role without causing problems (I'm sure he can seems like a pro).

All for it. The injury was Hop's problem last season early. He played good in the Playoffs and in the SuperBowl unlike 
the guys around him, namely Adeniji and Spain who were both downright terrible in the Postseason. Granted both were
injured but doesn't take away this fact. Hop like you said is a standup dude and is a very good pass protector at times.

I just like him better at Center than Guard. Every single time I have seen him at Guard he struggled. Weird but it is 
what I saw. If Hop is down with being Karras's backup at Center I think it would be a good move, that is, if Trey Hill
and Ben Brown aren't the answer there. I actually like both of these guys, Trey Hill just needs to cut down on the 
penalties.
Reply/Quote
Anyone who is not signed right now has some big question marks.

Maybe we will sign someone during training camp cut downs. There will be new players coming available then. Or if a player is going to be released we can trade for him. I don't think we traded for Hill until the last week of training camp, and that turned out to be a HUGE deal for us.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2022, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone who is not signed right now has some big question marks.

Maybe we will sign someone during training camp cut downs.  There will be new players coming available then.  Or if a player is going to be released we can trade for him.  I don't think we traded for Hill until the last week of training camp, and that turned out to be a HUGE deal for us.

True enough. Honestly what BTG just said about Hop makes the most sense and he might have the least question marks now that 
Hop is healthy. He knows the system and pretty much all the players and would fit right in. Only question with him is whether he 
could take being a backup and being an emergency/insurance type of player instead of a starter.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2022, 12:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All for it. The injury was Hop's problem last season early. He played good in the Playoffs and in the SuperBowl unlike 
the guys around him, namely Adeniji and Spain who were both downright terrible in the Postseason. Granted both were
injured but doesn't take away this fact. Hop like you said is a standup dude and is a very good pass protector at times.

I just like him better at Center than Guard. Every single time I have seen him at Guard he struggled. Weird but it is 
what I saw. If Hop is down with being Karras's backup at Center I think it would be a good move, that is, if Trey Hill
and Ben Brown aren't the answer there. I actually like both of these guys, Trey Hill just needs to cut down on the 
penalties.

Everybody has their preferences. Some want somebody other than Perine. Some want another corner like Bradbury ( too late there). Some want Tretter ( too much money and poor health) some want a WR. We need to bolster our OL reserves. Hopkins would be smart as would Reiff if a bargain.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2022, 02:04 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Everybody has their preferences. Some want somebody other than Perine. Some want another corner like Bradbury ( too late there). Some want Tretter ( too much money and poor health) some want a WR. We need to bolster our OL reserves. Hopkins would be smart as would Reiff if a bargain.

I fear Reiff is like Tretter and injuries have just caught up with him. Heard rumors that he might be done.

Would love Hopkins and DeDe Westbrook or something alike. 

I know DeDe has been hurt in the past but he isn't as bad as Will Fuller like Stewy keeps saying who is prone and has drop issues.

Plus DeDe is a good Punt Returner.
Reply/Quote